Enlistment
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Enlistment

Question Enlistment

i am getting ready to enlist, but i am wanting to know something first.....well i want to try and go Recon, but i was wandering if am still able to try and go Recon even if i enlist and go in as an MP?....is that possible?....or do i have to enlist as infantry to try that route?......

Nope...you need to be a grunt...

alright thnx....thats all i needed to know......and of coarse i have no rpoblem with that......i was undecided cause i wanna do either infantry or mp.....but that would be my deciding factor....so this makes itmuch easier.....the only reason i asked is becasue i thought i read on a document that u could go to recon if u were in an mos that ouwld easily allowu to i think either transfer or drop i forget the exact word they used........ but again thank u...

Registered User Free Member jdfairman's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I was under the impression that Recon would let you attempt the indoc from any MOS. Infantry guys are of course a step ahead, but recon needs communicators and other jobs as well. I could be wrong, but do a little more research. There's more than enough information out there.

Yes, they do need comm guys...i should have known that since that is what i did..hump that damn radio all over the place..grunts do have a leg up. Many will get a chance to test at SOI school.

Lake0300
    Guest Free Member
    Is it suggested that a Grunt try for Recon at SOI? I know quite a few people have been trying for Recon at SOI and most of them fail. Maybe its a better idea to wait a year or two? Get settled in with the fleet, build up your PT and rifle scores, then hit the INDOC. What do u guys suggest? -Lake

immaproshooter,

Send Cpl. dawsonrecon a PM, I think he'll be the best one to help you out on this one. I believe he is a Reservist Recon. Don't matter if he's reserve, just the fact that he's Recon, better to get the info straight from the horses mouth.

Good Luck

thnx all of u...i really appreciate ya'lls help.....

http://www.specialoperations.com/

there's a section dedicated to Recon... But tread lightly in those forums and DO A SEARCH I can't tell you how many times people go there and get flamed for not searching for the answer before asking. and remember always be polite and respectful.

From what I hear it's better to wait. especially since you'll have more experience and probably better pt scores.

Registered User Free Member cmbell's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I use to be a 5-ton driver. I drove for Recon a few times taking Marines from all MOS's to were they did the Recon indoc. This was Recon Battalion 1st Marine Division. There were Marines from COMM, Motor T, Grunts and more. I also used to drive for the scout sniper school on Camp Pendleton.

Registered User Free Member leroy8541's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Grunts definately have a leg up especially to div. recon. Force recon is a different story, they will announce indoc in the base paper Marines from all walks of life show up. This one is a bit stiffer than the one at SOI. I was in 1st recon bn. up in tallega went down for the force indoc and did not pack the gear to get thru the indoc. It had to many phases first was the pft If you don't finish with a 300 your done,the 3 mile cool down run fall behind your done straight to the pool for a little swim fail tis your done, then go back to your barracks switch over to Alphas meet back at force recon company office for a board if anyone is left. We had 6 men left they took 1 of us. Five of us were all from recon, 1 from tanks All had jump wings some of were dual Qual.

That speaks volumes. Men from Recon Bn. that couldn't impress the Force guys enough says something. It is a close knit fraternity, and they guard their ranks very closely.

from my understanding of looking things up im actually able to enlist with the MOS of 0321, is this true or did i read something incorectly?

dep_baumy
    Guest Free Member
    Maybe its a better idea to wait a year or two? Get settled in with the fleet, build up your PT and rifle scores, then hit the INDOC. What do u guys suggest? -Lake

Yeah Lake thats a great idea, thats what I was told when I brought up Recon to my recruiter. He just said wait until the Marine Corps gets you into the shape they want you in then you have a better work attitude and idea of what the Indoc is like.

ya ur probably right, i think im just going to go infantry and try to build my self upto it, and if i dont get in, i could always switch my MOS over for MP which is what some people have suggested i do neways......

Thread Information