Struggling with choosing to seek a commission or just enlist. - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Been UA from the site for awhile now, has the ASK A MARINE threads stop?

Asking for a friend of course.

Err-Rah.

Go active duty, Marine Reservists with some exceptions (usually prior service guys) are lazy ****bags and if you deploy even as a grunt you will likely be filling in for lesser missions, ie guard duty or presence patrols through less contested areas.

I've done time in both, hands down active duty. Plus it was 24/7 fun and always full of adventures.

Oh and, million dollar advice here, stay single while in. Trust me like you would with a recruiter.

Semper Fi to The Corps.

-yUuTt

This site is pretty much dead.

That said, the active unit that ripped us (reservists) were trash. So your mileage may vary.

It is true that towards the end of the 2000s and on Marine Reservists we’re getting the less exciting missions with some exceptions. Earlier on there was no difference. Right now (2020) if you want to see combat, join the Army.

For what it’s worth the majority of the ****baggery I saw in the reserves were the active duty I&I staff who would constantly drop the ball on training, scheduling, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by crazymjb View Post
    This site is pretty much dead.

That said, the active unit that ripped us (reservists) were trash. So your mileage may vary.

It is true that towards the end of the 2000s and on Marine Reservists we’re getting the less exciting missions with some exceptions. Earlier on there was no difference. Right now (2020) if you want to see combat, join the Army.

For what it’s worth the majority of the ****baggery I saw in the reserves were the active duty I&I staff who would constantly drop the ball on training, scheduling, etc.
    I spent time in both active and reserves as well, and I agree with you, the reserve station I was at, in Grand Rapid Mi. was outstanding we had an I&I commander that new his stuff and insisted on quality training... he was a throwback to the old Corps....

Go as an Officer if you have the chance, if your intention is to do 20 years its a way better life style and you are doing basically the same thing once you hit Staff Sergeant anyways. If you just want to do 4 years go Enlisted but don't be a reservist, you will forever be made fun of and in my opinion you don't really get the Marine experience. Anything worth doing is worth doing right

Thread Information