Marines end longstanding ban on umbrellas...
Create Post

Marines end longstanding ban on umbrellas...

Marines end longstanding ban on umbrellas

All Marines can now endure the rain with the protection of an umbrella, ending a longstanding tradition of toughening it when it showers.

"Umbrellas are good to go," Marine Corps Commandant Gen. David Berger recently told reporters at the Pentagon, according to the Task & Purpose military community website. The new policy applies to Marines wearing their service or dress uniforms.

"Marines can carry an all-black, plain, standard or collapsible umbrella at their option during inclement weather with the service and dress uniforms," according to a new All Marine Corps message, the site reported.

Previously, only female Marines were allowed to use umbrellas while in their service or dress uniforms. They are required to carry it in their left hand so they are free to salute with their right.

Marines wearing camouflage combat utility uniforms will still need to brave the rain with no cover.

The change came after an April survey of Marines, Military.com reported.

Some said an umbrella looks more professional than getting drenched. Others said a change was needed since the service and dress uniforms are expensive.

Ruining them in the rain would be a financial burden to junior-enlisted Marines who are at the bottom of the pay scale, one respondent wrote.

The Army, Navy and Air Force all allow their service members to use umbrellas in certain conditions.

Similar Threads:

Mike, I think we need other members of Military branches to hold the Umbrellas over our head......just saying....

I sure wish they had done this back during the Nam. I can visualize us during Typhoon Bess back in 68 or during the monsoons, our entire squad on patrol with our umbrellas, in our left hands of course to meet the requirements. This leaves our right hand trigger finger at the ready. If we're gonna be life takers, might as well be a dry one. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    I sure wish they had done this back during the Nam. I can visualize us during Typhoon Bess back in 68 or during the monsoons, our entire squad on patrol with our umbrellas, in our left hands of course to meet the requirements. This leaves our right hand trigger finger at the ready. If we're gonna be life takers, might as well be a dry one. Just saying.
    or as the Brit's say, Bumbershoot... lol

So, when did Mary Poppins join the Corps?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulWill View Post
    So, when did Mary Poppins join the Corps?
    Funny you should say that Paul, for a long time I've been calling for hollywood to make a new movie "Vietnam, the Musical." We could even have our units stamped on the umbrellas in big bold letters so it would be easier to ID each other, instead of us all looking like homeless people covered in that red dust. They would have been good for some shade out in the Arizona as well. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by irpat54 View Post
    or as the Brit's say, Bumbershoot... lol
    or Brolly...

sad these changing times.... now Marines can be wussy like the other branches.... probably done to attract a "few good girly men" and other trannys….. JMHO, of course... I'm just not a "brolly man" and the only time I consider using one is when it is really storming to get from the car to the office...

More and more customs and traditions going by the wayside.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Have you guys been watching any videos from the Hong Kong protests? Many of the protesters carry umbrellas as they turn out to be pretty good at stopping less-lethal rounds fired by the cops. I also saw a YouTube vid where that was tested by a US police department and it was very effective.

Y'never know.

That's correct Zulu, everyone thought I was only joking. In the Nam the umbrellas could have been camouflage of course. I can imagine our squad on line moving forward in the bush unseen, until we through them down and make the attack. The gooks wouldn't have had a chance, they'd probably report us for violating the geneva convention or something.

Here we are, Russ.....home sweet home...

Attached Images Attached Images

Yup, funny how I used to sleep in that shivt like a baby, and today sleeping many nights eludes me. Here's another memory;

Tomorrow is a very big day, it's the Marine Corps Birthday, number 244. God Bless our beloved Corps! Back in 68, after another 3 1/2 weeks out in the Arizona Territory living like animals on our hunting trip a chopper flew into an LZ in the middle of nowhere. We were protecting the LZ, and our entire platoon was treated by the Marine Corps to a turkey dinner with all the trimmings, Birthday #193. 1st real food we had had in months.

You should have seen the looks on those mess-cooks faces, looking everywhere for the NVA - scared to death. Of course we told them they were safe because we were there. However, they couldn't wait to get out of there though.

Of course looking back, the Marine Corps may have just been fattening us up because in a couple of weeks we went into Operation Meade River where we lost half of our battalion at the Hook. We were then pulled out of the operation as we were no longer an effective fighting force. Today life is good, but I will always remember.

I lived through the Hook because the 3/16 with Billy and Jack (FistFul) fought their way into us saving the day and my life. Together we reformed and killed us some NVA. Thanks again my brother.

Thread Information