Back in the day....
Create Post
    Super Moderator Platinum Member Mongoose's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Back in the day....

Think about it!!!

Marty BrownOctober 14, 2014

Harry Truman was a different kind of President. He probably made as many, or more important decisions regarding our nation's history as any of the other 32 Presidents preceding him. However, a measure of his greatness may rest on what he did after he left the White House.
    The only asset he had when he died was the house he lived in, which was in Independence , Missouri . His wife had inherited the house from her mother and father and other than their years in the White House, they lived their entire lives there.
    When he retired from office in 1952 his income was a U.S. Army pension reported to have been $13,507.72 a year. Congress, noting that he was paying for his stamps and personally licking them, granted him an 'allowance' and later, a retroactive pension of $25,000 per year.
    After President Eisenhower was inaugurated, Harry and Bess drove home to Missouri by themselves. There was no Secret Service following them.
    When offered corporate positions at large salaries, he declined, stating, "You don't want me. You want the office of the President, and that doesn't belong to me.. It belongs to the American people and it's not for sale."
    Even later, on May 6, 1971, when Congress was preparing to award him the Medal of Honor on his 87th birthday, he refused to accept it, writing, "I don't consider that I have done anything which should be the reason for any award, Congressional or otherwise."
    As president he paid for all of his own travel expenses and food.
    Modern politicians have found a new level of success in cashing in on the Presidency, resulting in untold wealth. Today , too many in Congress also have found a way to become quite wealthy while enjoying the fruits of their offices. Political offices are now for sale
    Good old Harry Truman was correct when he observed, "My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a ***** house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!
    We ought to have cloned him for telling it like it is and being frugal with our tax dollars!

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Not sure if it's true or not, but I have always heard Truman did not like the Marine Corps. I heard that his daughter was jilted by a Marine Captain on their wedding day. Maybe one of you can look it up.

this is the only thing I can find about her personal life, other than her 4 children by this man.

On April 21, 1956, Truman married Clifton Daniel
    They had four sons:

Clifton Truman Daniel (born June 5, 1957), Director of Public Relations for Harry S Truman College.[18][19]
    William Wallace Daniel (May 19, 1959 – September 4, 2000), a psychiatric social worker and researcher at Columbia University.[20]
    Harrison Gates Daniel (born 1963)
    Thomas Washington Daniel (born 1966)

Why did President Truman dislike the Marines?

Will Bentley, Even though retired from duty, retired officers retain their “Office.”
    Answered Sep 21 2018 · Author has 845 answers and 1.5m answer views

See Pres. Truman’s “Memoirs,” vol. 2, (Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1958.
    He described the Marines as a duplication, the Navy’s “…own little Army that talks Navy and is known as the Marine Corps.”
    Shortly after the Commandant, General Vandegrift, gave on 10 May 1946 Congressional testimony damning to the proposed reorganization of the armed forces…and crucially either gutting to the bone or eliminating the USMC entirely…Pres. Truman called the Commandant to the White House for a private meeting, the results of which were that the Commandant was never again outspoken in defense of his own Corps…the effort to defend it was largely left in public to others. See Victor Krulak’s “First to Fight,” (Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1984). The Commandant was obliged to submit drafts of his upcoming statements to the SecNav first, in the future, showing that he was being muzzled after dismantling the plans to dismantle the Corps as discussed on 10 May 1946.
    The President had favored a reorganization plan resulting in — at most — a neutered and ineffective Marine Corps, or altogether eliminating it, and was furious with the Commandant and the Marines in general, whom he then prevented from “lobbying” in Congress by speaking directly to members of Congress.
    On 29 August 1950, while under fire for the miserable performance of US forces against the North Korean invasion of South Korea, he wrote a letter to Congressman McDonough, which was subsequently published in the Congressional Record and as part of the Truman Papers, “For your information, the Marine Corps is the Navy’s police force and as long as I remain President that’s what it will remain. They have a propaganda machine that is almost equal to Stalin’s…” See: Pres. Truman’s letter to Congressman Gordon S. McDonough, 29 Aug 1950, Truman Papers, as well as page 56 of Krulak, op cit.
    The public and Congressional outcry for his personal attack on the institution of the Corps quite literally caused the President to provide both a written and verbal apology to the Commandant, and then he was forced to attend that’s year’s Marine Corps League convention, to again apologize in person to the many hundreds of Marines in attendance, all well covered by news media, as he humbled himself by speaking about the exploits of the Corps, and his admiration for them…The League accepted his apology respectfully, and then voted a resolution publicly supporting that the Commandant be made a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. This was something that the President, and various of his advisors and many Army, Air Force, and even Navy officers had resisted steadfastly since 1946 when the first concept was raised during the “unification hearings.”
    See also the Letters to the Commandant of the Marine Corps League and to the Commandant of the Marine Corps. (See Jason Kaye’s comments to a separate answer to this Question, and thanks to him for providing the link originally!)
    As an old Army man, Pres. Truman just did not have it in him to support the continued, muscular and effective Corps that had —again quite literally — developed the doctrine and equipment that made all US amphibious operations possible from Guadalcanal through the Solomons, New Guinea, the Marshalls, Northern Africa, Sicily, Italy, and eventually north and south France and Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

outstanding post, Bill, thanks

I'm thinking that old Harry just might have been a bit JEALOUS of our beloved Corps, seeing as how his military service was first as a Corporal and then as a Captain in the Missouri National Guard. He commanded an artillery battery during WWI, and possibly he had a bit of the "Green Eyed Monster" in him when it came to the recognition given to the Corps for their battle prowess and contributions to victory in that war.... I'm also thinking that his anti-Corps position was well known publicly, which along with some other of his actions as President, may well have cost him dearly when he ran for re-election....

Credits
    Savings
    Great post, Bill....

Thread Information