Savings
    Post 1979 guess I'm OLD LOL

Old Corps

looks like old Corps to me.

Attached Images Attached Images

Now thats what I call old Corps.Thats what 47? ha ha

wc

Talking

There you go---making me feel like a boot!--- LOL---but I may have used some of the same field gear.

I don't think there is "an old Corps or a new Corps" some Marines are just more "seasoned" than others. OORAH!!! SEMPER FI!!!

I think its "OOHRAH" Not really sure as I'm from the OLD CORPS. LOL

You might be "Old Corps" if you wore this uniform.
    There's "Old Corps" and "New Corps", there also the "Old Breed" meaning the

1st. Marine Divison

One of the "Old Breed"
    If there was the "Old Breed" might all the members of the 1st. Marine Divison from than till now be the "New Breed"?
    Or are they still the "Old Breed"...
    Inquiring minds want to know...
    A proud member of 1st Marines of the 1st. Marine Divison in Vietnam...

Semper Fidelis
    Ricardo

PS A boot from 1957
    All place here in jest.

These Marines appear to be from the "Banana Wars" or the Philippines in the early 1900's.
    They're armed with the Springfield 03 and they are wearing yellow leggings.
    The cover appears to be what was adopted after serving with the Army in WWI or did the Marine Corps have this cover pior to WWI?

Semper Fidelis
    Ricardo

Tracgunny, you got part it right Lewis Burwell really was Col Lewis Burwell Puller USMC known to us as "Chesty".
    When he said these famous lines;
    "New breed, old breed, I don't care as long as it is the Marine Breed".
    Lt. General Lewis Burwell Puller USMC was a distant cousin of "Old Blood and Guts" General George Patton US Army.
    As a Marine Officer, General Lewis Burwell Puller always called the enlisted "Old Man", even if it was a young Pvt or Pfc...

Semper Fidelis
    Ricardo

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    "As a Marine Officer, General Lewis Burwell Puller always called the enlisted "Old Man", even if it was a young Pvt or Pfc" - how could you not be loyal to an tough S.OB. like that?

Sergeant Major Robert E. Cleary came to see us when I was driving for the El Toro Chief of Staff. In the 'Head Shed' he greeted a Major, "How ya doin Marine!" Not in the formal Sir or even Major!

No one said sh*t! The Base SgtMaj Fitzhugh almost stifled a grin and hussled him off to the SNCO club.

Old Corps?

What Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller
    Really Said at the Chosin Reservoir
    The 1st Marine Division was surrounded at the Chosin Reservoir because the U. S. Army corps on its left flank collapsed and retreated. The 1st Marines, one the division's infantry regiments, was holding Koto Ri to keep the road open back to the coast, and was itself surrounded by several Chinese divisions. A reporter with the regiment posed a question to its commanding officer, then - Colonel Lewis B. Puller; "Colonel, you've got Chinese to your front, to your rear, to your left and to your right. What are you going to do now?" He reported that Puller's reply was; "The bastards aren't going to get away this time!"

In fact, that reply was made up by the reporter, a friend of Marines, to protect the colonel. The actual exchange was as follows:

Reporter; "Colonel, you've got Chinese to your front, to your rear, to your left and to your right. What are you going to do now?"

Col. Puller; "Damn sight better than the U. S. Army. At least I know they'll be there in the morning!"

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    MillRatUSMC:
    Tracgunny, you got part it right Lewis Burwell really was Col Lewis Burwell Puller USMC known to us as "Chesty".
    Yep, knew that... Just wanted to see who was paying attention. There are several members of the Jacksonville Semper Fidelis Society who served under "Chesty" Puller, WW II and/or Korea, and I picked up while listening to their sea-stories that they always refer to Gen. Puller as Lewis Burwell, not Chesty, or Puller. I am still working up the guts to ask them why this is... I figure it is a fraternity thing... and I may have to dive for my bunker if any of them read these posts…LOL

Thread Information