Big Bucks for Grunts... - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Good to see you here Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by gkmoz View Post
    Here is the reason I ask? I was in staging in march of 69 and I was "blue tagged" to Camp Del Mar with the 5th mardiv, I was told that the unit had just come back from Nam and my mos 1833 wasn't needed ? I ended up at Pendleton for the rest of my active duty.
    Do not remember all the details, so many before me and so many after me !
    The 5th. Div. didn't actively deploy to Nam. When the war started to pick up, the 3/26 of the 5th Div. was activated and was sent to Nam under the operational control of the 3rd. Div. After several months, we we're moved to the OP control of the 1st.Div....where we was designated Support Battalion for the whole 1st. Div. Which meant we took part in every operation that came down. Later the 27th and 28th Marines were made up and sent to Nam. They didn't last long, because they were put together in a hurry because LBJ wanted more Marines in Nam. They were only about half Grunts, the rest was cooks, supply, ordinance or anything that could carry a weapon. After a couple of months they werebroken up. Some went to other units, some went back home. I left in May of 69. I don't think that 26th Marines left until 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by gkmoz View Post
    Here is the reason I ask? I was in staging in march of 69 and I was "blue tagged" to Camp Del Mar with the 5th mardiv, I was told that the unit had just come back from Nam and my mos 1833 wasn't needed ? I ended up at Pendleton for the rest of my active duty.
    Do not remember all the details, so many before me and so many after me

!
    I left Nam while we were on Operation Oklahoma Hills in May of 69. The 3/26 a short time later was sent to the Nam-O bridge to pull security. So they were definitely there way past March.

Tony, you bring back old memories, Brother. Glad to see you are still hanging in there. Make it a habit to visit us more often....every day in fact.

Tony, if the FAC team was part of H&S Company, Comm Plt, 2/28, 5th MAR DIV, then we were in the same unit... I'm really terrible at remembering names, but there were a lot of guys in the Comm Plt that knew how to party, for sure... I remember one Cpl that had the clap about 6 or 7 times, kept getting it from the same woman, CO told him if he got it one more time, it would mean brig time, (he'd already had 90 day restriction to base, and been fined and busted), he came down with it again, and was waiting for the weekend to see a private doctor instead of going to sick bay.... TET was on, and we went into stand-by and lockdown... our hero's clap got so bad that one morning he pulled a urinal out of the wall trying to go.... funny as hell, but a real mess.... good to see you back, Tony, don't be a stranger...

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks Dave, I still stop in once in a while but a lot has happened to me...mainly went through some DNA tests and found a whole new family that I never knew I had...long happy story and not a scam. My wife of 48 years is a certified DAR member and family researcher and I'm sure you know that these DAR people don't buy bull**** records and DNA don't lie. I see you must have moved to my state...if I remember you have someone here like near St. Louis...if you're in the House Springs neighborhood give us a shout

Credits
    Savings
    Top we must have been in then same building...I was in the brick building close to the scrubs just down the road from the comm building...do you remember the two crazies both wiremen one was really short and squat but really strong. They used to go on liberty and forget to came back. I was Cpl of the guard more than once when they came in late but I always let them pass, some time later I got those passes back when I was getting my skinny ass kicked by some sailors in a bar in San Clentemanti (sp) and he picked up a guy who had to go 200 and threw him over the pool table them he picked up his end of the pool table and slammed it down needless to say we walked out together

Thread Information