Need clarification about boot camp. - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinbo View Post
    If someone hasn't already explained this to you then you should do some research on the delayed entry program. Pretty much everyone who enlists spends a year in DEP so you have from now until Sept. 2020 to improve your overall physical fitness.

The current world record for the number of pushups in 1 minute is 152.

Work on it!
    That's crazy, I never knew that, I can just go and enlist now then. I thought they put you in DEP and then ship you off ASAP. Thanks for the new info.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by crazymjb View Post
    Be mindful that infantry is one of the most sought after jobs in the Marine Corps and usually is the first to fill-up. It may be necessary for you to wait until the Fall to sign an infantry contract if your recruiter is not able to locate one for you. I definitely advise holding out for the MOS you want, as it is the next 4 years, or possibly 20+ years of your life should you choose to make it a career.
    Yeah I've been told that, I'll meet with the Recruiter and see what he says if he can't find one for me, then I'll do as you said and wait until fall. I didn't know it worked like that either, thanks for the info.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS20 View Post
    Yeah I've been told that, I'll meet with the Recruiter and see what he says if he can't find one for me, then I'll do as you said and wait until fall. I didn't know it worked like that either, thanks for the info.
    Yeah, everything in the military (or the US government for that matter) revolves around the fiscal year, Oct 1 - Sep 30. Know it, love it

Credits
    Savings
    Small update I went to the recruiting office yesterday, talked with the Staff Sergeant and his Gunny on the phone, they both said they liked my attitude since I shared the same motivation I've shared on this forum with them, they said they're gonna do everything in their power to get me in, I just have to go get a signed letter from my actual doctor saying he's clearing me then I'll be off to MEPS (after I graduate high school I believe) I picked from the list of cards and picked all the what he called intangible items (3 selfs, courage, poise, self confidence and pride of belonging)

I even took a Pre ASVAB, I've never studied or had any ideas what kind of questions would be on it, I scored a 51 (ik got a lot of studying to do) and the Marine recruiter basically told me that since I got a 51 without studying I could either do 10 points better or worse. Lastly I knocked out some pull ups for the first time in a year I thought I'd barely get 2 lol, I did 7. Gonna keep working on that, I'll even be joining them for PT on Tuesdays and Thursdays and even got invited to start coming to Poole functions.

I just wanna say thanks to those who gave me advice and words of encouragement because when I first made this post I thought I was wasting my time, but now I'm sure this is going to be the career I go after as soon as I finish high school in June, thanks again Marines.

Study for and take the asvab seriously. PT as well.

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Mike---can you keep us updated here? This thread will go by the wayside in no time as other threads are more active, but just resurrect this one and let us know the latest.

Thread Information