Need clarification about boot camp.
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Need clarification about boot camp.

So awhile ago I asked a question about if my wrist that was broken last February would hinder me from enlisting in the marines, I was able to find out that it wouldn't officially, but. Their is this one thing that even a year from when I last broke my wrist I struggle with and that's something I seen and hear that is something done a lot in Marine Corp boot camp.

Push ups.

Now I've talked to a U.S Marine, but check it he literally just graduated from boot camp literally a week ago I asked him the same question I'm asking you guys, will me struggling with doing push ups get me kicked out?

He simply said, no. If you're cleared by a doctor and it's in a system or known or something like that your Instructors will work with you as long as you show them you're willing to put in the work and won't quit.

But he became an official Marine a week ago or something like that and I know they're are guys here who have been in the Marines way before I was born so I'd like to know from you more experienced guys if I still got a shot.

BTW: I broke my wrist last February and was told to give it a rest on push ups obviously to let it heal which is why I'm struggling now, so I've just recently been trying to get back into the grind and preparations. But say I'm not able to do push ups for extended amounts of time like I've seen in a lot of Marine Corp Boot Camp videos on YouTube will that disqualify me? The most I can get to is 6. I'm working my ass off every day to get better.

Last thing, I was told is that the Marines don't want quitters and I've literally had everyone in my family try to talk me out of enlisting, my girlfriend literally just left me a few hours ago as I'm typing this LMAO because she thinks I'll get ****ed up in the head or I might die and the government will come after her (she's a psycho I know), that's how stuck and hell bent I am on becoming one, but at the same time I don't wanna waste my time and know what I'm up against, I'm sorry it's a lot but all comments are greatly appreciated and thank you in advance for serving.

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You're right. The Marine Corps doesn't like quitters. Nothing will cause you to grow a drill instructor coat faster than quitting in boot camp. They will work with you if you are struggling, but not quitting. Yeah, it'll be loud, but motivating. I had problems with the rope climb, but by the end of boot camp, I could do the exercise fine. I didn't set speed records, but I could do it. Maybe it was the DI setting the rope on fire that motivated me? (Nah, just kidding).

Did you have any physical therapy for your wrist? If not, see if your doctor will refer you to a PT who can give you exercises designed to strengthen your wrist. Otherwise, just keep pumping them out. Even if your wrist was good, only doing pushups helps you do more pushups. You will need to do more than six at a time, no doubt.

One exercise heavily favored by the Corps is pullups. Don't neglect those and they might help strengthen your wrist too.

If you get a medical waiver at MEPS for your wrist (which you will need to apply for, through your recruiter), that only indicates there is no medical reason you can't do what is needed physically. It doesn't excuse you from doing things involving your wrist.

I remember that we were expected to do 60 pushup's in 2 min. in 1967.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    You're right. The Marine Corps doesn't like quitters. Nothing will cause you to grow a drill instructor coat faster than quitting in boot camp. They will work with you if you are struggling, but not quitting. Yeah, it'll be loud, but motivating. I had problems with the rope climb, but by the end of boot camp, I could do the exercise fine. I didn't set speed records, but I could do it. Maybe it was the DI setting the rope on fire that motivated me? (Nah, just kidding).

Did you have any physical therapy for your wrist? If not, see if your doctor will refer you to a PT who can give you exercises designed to strengthen your wrist. Otherwise, just keep pumping them out. Even if your wrist was good, only doing pushups helps you do more pushups. You will need to do more than six at a time, no doubt.

One exercise heavily favored by the Corps is pullups. Don't neglect those and they might help strengthen your wrist too.

If you get a medical waiver at MEPS for your wrist (which you will need to apply for, through your recruiter), that only indicates there is no medical reason you can't do what is needed physically. It doesn't excuse you from doing things involving your wrist.
    Yeah, trust me I do not plan on quitting. I've been planning on joining since like second grade.

Also yeah I used to do PT from last March to around November, I plan on going back and doing more but right now I'm just doing home exercises. I was already planning on getting a waiver as well.

Thanks for the help, I'm definitely just gonna keep working on it until it's time to enlist.

If you go to boot camp unable to do more than 6 pushups your life is going to be pretty miserable.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by crazymjb View Post
    If you go to boot camp unable to do more than 6 pushups your life is going to be pretty miserable.
    I just got cleared by the doctor to start doing pushups he said I'd barely be able to get past 3 it's been a few days and today I'm getting 10 easy. I'm still working on it and I'm currently in school, I'm sure by the time I try to enlist (around september) I'll be far beyond 6-10 push ups.

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Keep going, Mike, and keep us informed here on this same thread, just resurrect it from time to time and tell us about your progress. Not a whole lot of control over this. Just hope for the best and for steady improvement.

Good luck.

Motivation is a big deal, as you know. Sounds like you've got plenty of that.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS20 View Post
    I just got cleared by the doctor to start doing pushups he said I'd barely be able to get past 3 it's been a few days and today I'm getting 10 easy. I'm still working on it and I'm currently in school, I'm sure by the time I try to enlist (around september) I'll be far beyond 6-10 push ups.
    I'd say you're doing OK then and have plenty of time to build it up. Don't over do it though and get over-use injuries. Don't forget the other exercises, pullups, crunches, running, basic calisthenics, burpees, mountain climbers, etc. You will likely have more time after September as you'll be in DEP for a while and your recruiter may run PT sessions for his/her poolees. Take advantage of those as they will mimic many Marine Corps PT sessions. As you may know, you will have to take an Initial Strength Test before you ship to boot camp. It is essentially a half-PFT. If you can solidly pass a full PFT before shipping, you will be in good shape (in more ways than one).

Some poolees ship barely passing an IST, then a couple of days later, they have to run another IST at boot camp and flunk. Off to the fat farm (Physical Conditioning Platoon). The reason they flunk is the first few days are stressful and full-speed ahead on minimal sleep. They don't have the physical reserves to pass that IST they barely passed before shipping. So don't be a minimum poolee. Meet and exceed all standards all though your Marine Corps career. Trust me, you'll be glad you did.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you both for the words of wisdom, I'll gladly keep this thread updated and I hope one day I'll be able to say I am a Marine.

Credits
    Savings
    minor update, as of literally 3 days of last seeing the doctor (who said I'd only be able to do 3 push ups) I'm currently doing multiple sets of 20 easily and the only reason I'm only getting to 20 is due to being out of shape (from sitting on my ass to rehab my wrist) so push ups are not a problem anymore. With school coming to an end for me in May, I plan on going to a Marine recruiting office. I'll let you guys know what happens next. Thanks again.

Good luck, you have a good attitude.

The sooner you talk to a recruiter the better. The way job selection works is every October all the new job availability comes out, and they fill up from there.... so if the job you want is gone, you may wind up waiting until October to join.

Also, your recruiter can help you to come up with a physical training plan if you are concerned about your physical conditioning.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by crazymjb View Post
    The sooner you talk to a recruiter the better. The way job selection works is every October all the new job availability comes out, and they fill up from there.... so if the job you want is gone, you may wind up waiting until October to join.

Also, your recruiter can help you to come up with a physical training plan if you are concerned about your physical conditioning.
    Will do, I plan on going to the recruiting office this upcoming Monday after school to either start a "plan" or get an idea of what route I'll be able to take,

I truly hope I'll be able to become a grunt.

Be mindful that infantry is one of the most sought after jobs in the Marine Corps and usually is the first to fill-up. It may be necessary for you to wait until the Fall to sign an infantry contract if your recruiter is not able to locate one for you. I definitely advise holding out for the MOS you want, as it is the next 4 years, or possibly 20+ years of your life should you choose to make it a career.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If someone hasn't already explained this to you then you should do some research on the delayed entry program. Pretty much everyone who enlists spends a year in DEP so you have from now until Sept. 2020 to improve your overall physical fitness.

The current world record for the number of pushups in 1 minute is 152.

Work on it!

Thread Information