Looking for a mentor for my son
Create Post

Looking for a mentor for my son

I am writing this for my son as he is too young to join the forum. He is looking for a mentor. He has big goals in life, he wants to attend USNA and earn his commission as a Marine officer. He is in the Young Marines and his UC suggested he find a Marine that would take the time to mentor him. Someone to give advice and help mold a young man who eats, sleeps, and breaths Marine Corps.

As his mom, I know he is young and I know most children change their dreams often, however he is beyond dedicated. This is not a new dream for him, its what he has always wanted. He is already trying to make choices (academically, etc) that will help shape his future. I'm hoping someone here will be willing to be a mentor, perhaps by email. He is an amazing kid and is passionate about being a Marine. He just needs someone to help guide him in ways his father and I cannot.

Similar Threads:

Im pretty new to this site and happened to stumble upon this. Im gonna be honest im still fairly new to the Marines, I'll be hitting my two year mark pretty soon. Im not an officer so Im probably not the best person to talk to in regards to those plans. But if you or your son have any questions, maybe I could help. I too was a young motivated kid just waiting for my chance to be a Marine and always trying to get my questions answered but never met any one that could help. Im currently an Active Duty 0331, Machine gunner. Any questions feel free to ask and I will try to answer as soon as I can,

How old is your son?

Personally, I think your son is way too young to be exchanging e-mails with strangers on the Internet.

I'd give him 5 or 6 years then see how his aspirations have developed.

Quote Originally Posted by DaShadow View Post
    Personally, I think your son is way too young to be exchanging e-mails with strangers on the Internet.

I'd give him 5 or 6 years then see how his aspirations have developed.
    Ditto

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I would suggest that you check into the local unit of Young Marines. Each unit is run by older kids, under the supervision and guidance of adults who are retired Marines or Marine vets. I believe that Navy Corpsmen that have served in the Fleet Marine Force can be adult leaders as well (not sure about that one).

Your son can participate in unit activities, many of which mirror the experiences of an adult Marine. They start out in a mini-boot camp to learn what is expected, learn drill, start on their physical fitness, and learn about the Marine Corps. Kids earn promotions and awards as they progress. Currently, Young Marines mostly wear the older woodland pattern camo uniforms. If he sticks with it and enlists in the Corps, he can get an automatic promotion to PFC when he graduates boot camp.

Thread Information