USMC vs Army Officer (infantry)
Create Post

USMC vs Army Officer (infantry)

Hello,

I am prior service Army and served 4 1/2 years in the infantry (enlisted) with one of the Ranger battalions. I've been separated about 5 years and am in the process of finishing school so I can apply to OCS.

Always heard a lot of rumors and trash talk thrown around about the Marines but never really believed it. I'm sure it goes both ways. Anyways, I was interested in looking into becoming a Marine officer. I'm leaning towards Army because that's where I come from and I still know a lot of people in the Army. I just want to serve and be a leader, and didn't want to neglect looking into the Marines. I have met a couple of great Marines while I was in the Army that left me with a good impression.

My goal is to become an infantry officer. In the Army, this assignment is done competitively as I am assuming it is in the Marines. I was hoping to be enlightened on a few things:

1. Do Marine officers rotate often like Army officers do? In the Army it is generally a new assignment every 2-3 years.

2. What would be the main differences between being an Army or Marine infantry officer? Are Marines deployed more frequently (training or combat deployments)?

3. An old PL of mine was lucky to serve essentially in "light infantry units" all the way to company commander. In the Army it is the "way" for an infantry officer to switch between light and heavy(mechanized) units. Can someone explain the "track" for Marine infantry officers, and what types of assignments are usually on that track? How is staff time factored in?

4. This is somewhat of a crystal ball question, but can someone enlighten me on family life as a Marine officer? In the Army there's a lot of time away obviously, but are Marine officer gone more than their Army counterparts?

Apologies for the lack of brevity but I am very ignorant when it comes to the Marine Corps. Any information is greatly appreciated.