Great Marine Story....
Create Post

Great Marine Story....

Despite being unsure about what she wanted to do with her life after graduating from high school, Shannon Ihrke enrolled in college. Little did she know that during her time there, she would find a passion for pushing her mind and body to the limit and become a sergeant in the U.S. Marine Corps.
    Almost two years into school and still undecided about her career, Ihrke began to feel overwhelmed from working two jobs to make ends meet and studying full-time. She met with a school adviser to go over financial aid, which she did not qualify for, and was told that the only way to get free tuition in Minnesota was by being a single mom or being in the military.
    “I decided to research the different branches [of the military], and a Marine Corps recruiter caught me on the way out from talking to an Air Force recruiter,” Ihrke tells Yahoo Lifestyle of the moment she decided to join the military. “He explained how tough the program is and said, ‘A girl like you probably wouldn’t make it through boot camp in the Marine Corps.’” The statement resonated with Ihrke, who says, “I took that as a challenge and asked, ‘Where do I sign up?’”
    View photos

Ihrke in the Marines. (Photo: Shannon Ihrke)

From there, Ihrke packed up for three months of boot camp, where she trained in mixed martial arts and rifle training — and graduated. “I loved it,” she says. “I loved pushing myself. I realized how mentally and physically strong I really am, and it was an empowering feeling,” she says, noting that the all-female boot camp was a tough, but empowering experience.
    “I had drill instructors that were beautiful, smart women. They were amazing — and it motivated me even more.”
    View photos

For Ihkre, boot camp and the month-long Marine Corps combat training that followed pushed her body and mind beyond what she had imagined. “The hardest part about boot camp is your mental strength,” she notes. Another tough part about officially becoming a Marine was the feeling of having to prove herself to her male peers.
    “When people think of a Marine, they expect to see a man, but when I showed up to my unit, some people automatically thought that because I was a woman, I wouldn’t be able to keep up or be as good.”
    Being judged on appearance only fueled her drive to be the best. She says, “You have to work twice as hard to be seen as an equal, so my goal was always to push myself to be as good if not better to show them you can be on the same level.”
    View photos

Her discipline and dedication paid off. Within two years, she earned a rank that some four-year Marines don’t even achieve. “I was meritoriously promoted from E1 to E4,” she says. Ihrke was evaluated on everything from her physical strength and military knowledge to an area where she has excelled in since childhood: shooting. “I always liked shooting guns,” she says, noting her expert-level rifle qualification by Marine standards. “I grew up shooting guns with my dad, which is part of the reason I did so well in the rifle range when I was in the Marines.”
    View photos

Ihrke grew up shooting guns with her father. (Photo: Shannon Ihrke)
    However, Ihrke believes her confidence in herself and drive to prove naysayers wrong are what ultimately helped her earn the rank of sergeant. “It’s kind of natural to judge a book by its cover,” she muses. “But then, it makes you want to be as good, if not better than those people to show that you can keep up and you are equal.”
    Ihrke graduated from Elmhurst College with a bachelor’s degree — and without student loan debt. Her time in the Marine Corps came to an end in 2016, but she says it’s something that has permanently affected her life and is a constant source of pride. “In and out of uniform, I feel very proud because no one can take the experience away from me,” says the veteran.
    View photos

She now trains horses full-time. (Photo: Shannon Ihrke)
    Present day: The now-30-year-old enjoys small-town life back in Minnesota where she trains horses full-time. “I have about six horses right now, and I am training for roping competitions,” she says of her next goal. She also works for her county’s sheriff’s department in its “horse posse.”
    The proud Marine continues to push herself physically too. “I love running and working out — I’ve always been an athlete. If I’m not training horses, I’m at the gym.” However, what she loves most is being able to reflect on her experiences in the Marines from the calm of her stable. “I love being back in a small town,” she says. “Life is so simple.”