Please move this to ASK A MARINE ( I'm a spouse and a enlisting again)
Create Post

Cool Please move this to ASK A MARINE ( I'm a spouse and a enlisting again)

This is a bit of a complex question. I’m going to bullet the important things.

*I enlisted back in 2014.

* Received an ELS at PI, had some back issues/ I lost a lot of weight really quick to ship and did not have the muscle and the strength to keep up. I could run, pull up and do everything else but weight and hiking killed my sholders and back.

*A corpsman pulled me aside, and she said: “Hey if you say MHU, you’ll be able to see a better doctor.”

* I had no clue what it meant and repeated it to the next corpsman in the BAS. Called it “MUH” and they looked at me like I had a cucumber growing out of my forehead. THEN they put me on S watch. Which after a while they were like… “ Why are you here.” Me: “ I was told to tell you this.” Them: “Do you want to be here?” Me: “no, not if you’re not going to help me.”
    Then the next thing I know my Kill hat came in, and she looked busted. Like upset( Not angry, This woman is amazing by the way, really look up to her)

*Took me back to the squad bay and had me get my stuff together, I turned it my gear and was dropped in RSP.

* Had a few exit interviews and they separated me.

* Partially though, I wanted to stop the process and to go to the rehab plt to work on my back, but I was scared. Not only for myself, but I felt guilty. That I would greatly impact the Corpsman’s future if I ratted her out and told them honestly what she said. – Because she didn’t do it out of malice. It was concern.

*I was a failure to adapt.

Moving to the next 4 years.

* Got married to the Boe whom I knew before boot camp ( a Marine)
    * Did a LOT of growing up and worked in the “Real” world.
    * LOT STRONGER physically, able to carry and hike with weight. 10k
    * I Only have 2 semesters left for my Associates.
    * The desire to serve has never left me.
    * Trying to get set up so I can reenlist.
    * Waiting for a copy of my DD214 to come in from Quantico.
    * I think I know what my code is, but I can’t remember. I poured over it for hours when I came home crying because I was so angry at myself.

This is where the question comes into play, Is saying less, more?
    If I get the paperwork in and have an appointment with the Liaison, then it means I have to do interviews, and I’m assuming it’s going to be on “Why” and “why should we.” Should I mention my situation with the Corpsman?
    My thoughts on it are: It might be an explanation, but it could also be seen as an excuse. Because I went with it. For reasons mentioned above.

My thought was if I get to this point, just really express all the good things I’ve done in my life, the growth I’ve experienced. And how I can help JR Marines, Males, and Females if they have questions about work outside the Corps.

I believe, that I am in a very good position. However, I still have some reservations.

What are your thoughts?

Similar Threads:

I don't think this qualifies for Ask a Marine. I can assure you that the same Marines that post in Ask a Marine, will also see this post. Give it awhile, you'll get some feed back.

I think It still qualifies as a poolee/ Ask a recruiter/ Marine question. When I signed up because I selected "Spouse" so now, it won't let me post in the poolee area. which is where my question is more directed.

However, if that is what you think is best I'll roll with it.

Thanks,
    L.

I will ask the Admin., Foxtrot.....if he wants it moved.....be patient, please.

1) if asked directly about MUH then you need to be 100% honest, and that you did not know what that meant when you were in recruit training.
    2) you will need to have a waiver for this so your recruiter will have to do some paperwork and He/She will know where you stand after they interview you

good luck on both getting back in and your marriage... please keep us posted

some others should be along that know far more on these things then I do in this new modern Marine Corps. I from the old days.

Nope, it doesn't qualify to be moved, it's just fine where it is...

Afterall, everyone here are the ones that answer those poolee questions anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by FoxtrotOscar View Post
    Nope, it doesn't qualify to be moved, it's just fine where it is...

Afterall, everyone here are the ones that answer those poolee questions anyway...
    No big deal, thanks for responding.

Quote Originally Posted by irpat54 View Post
    1) if asked directly about MUH then you need to be 100% honest, and that you did not know what that meant when you were in recruit training.
    2) you will need to have a waiver for this so your recruiter will have to do some paperwork and He/She will know where you stand after they interview you

good luck on both getting back in and your marriage... please keep us posted

some others should be along that know far more on these things then I do in this new modern Marine Corps. I from the old days.
    I think that might be the better way to go about it. I just got a copy of my paper work and my reenlistment code if RE-3F. There are no remakes in there other than I didn't have a long enough time in the DEP.
    My marriage is great and my husband i are a great team.

Squad Leader Platinum Member Zulu 36's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MousieX View Post
    I think that might be the better way to go about it. I just got a copy of my paper work and my reenlistment code if RE-3F. There are no remakes in there other than I didn't have a long enough time in the DEP.
    My marriage is great and my husband i are a great team.
    An RE-3F code is for failing to pass the fitness test. Yes, you probably did need more time in DEP to replace your muscle mass. When you asked about the MHU (Mental Health Unit), they had to consider you as suicidal.

The good news is a RE-3F code is waiverable, but it must be waived by HQMC. A recruiter must start the package for you. Be 100% honest with the recruiter and anyone else you talk to about this like irpat54 said.

The bad news is, waivers from HQMC are tough to get. In your case, the recruiter may have to administer an IST or even a full PFT, so be prepared for that.

You should have ratted the corpsman out. She's advising people to claim they have mental problems so they can get out. Evidently she may have thought you were looking for a quick way out. She certainly screwed up your career without much thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    An RE-3F code is for failing to pass the fitness test. Yes, you probably did need more time in DEP to replace your muscle mass. When you asked about the MHU (Mental Health Unit), they had to consider you as suicidal.

The good news is a RE-3F code is waiverable, but it must be waived by HQMC. A recruiter must start the package for you. Be 100% honest with the recruiter and anyone else you talk to about this like irpat54 said.

The bad news is, waivers from HQMC are tough to get. In your case, the recruiter may have to administer an IST or even a full PFT, so be prepared for that.

You should have ratted the corpsman out. She's advising people to claim they have mental problems so they can get out. Evidently she may have thought you were looking for a quick way out. She certainly screwed up your career without much thought.
    I've been working out a lot more, and getting my pretty little hands and feet nice and worn. I would be more than eager to perform a PFT if that is is what the requirement was.
    I'm working on the pull-ups, crunches, push-ups, ABS and running. I've been adding in 4k, and 10k hikes at an 8% grade incline into my routine. Although, there aren't many uphill hikes in the future because PI is pretty flat. I'm still enjoying the conditioning.

I Hope, that as the paperwork gets rolling, that I can show them not only how much I've grown from that time, but also the individual things I've been able to accomplish. Also, demonstrate that I can assist other younger Marines in the future.
    I hope my overall character, and willingness to succeed will support me through the next few months.

Regards to the Corpsman, I agree now. When I think as time has gone by I should have said something. What she had said was not appropriate. If i had been CO. of a training BLT. I would be furious.

I appreciate your feedback!
    -L

Squad Leader Platinum Member Zulu 36's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hey, the incline work helps. You never know, if they let you back in and you get through boot camp, they are sending some female Marines to MCT at Camp Pendleton. Believe me, there are some inclines there (BTDT).

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    Hey, the incline work helps. You never know, if they let you back in and you get through boot camp, they are sending some female Marines to MCT at Camp Pendleton. Believe me, there are some inclines there (BTDT).
    Haha oh yeah, I know.
    I live right by Camp Pendleton. I have another family member at MCT west right now.
    I'm expecting to go to the east only because the "expected" MOS school is on the east coast. It's the most cost-efficient thing to do.
    Then again it's whatever the Marine Corps wants to do. I've been hiking up in Mt. Palomar Ca, and recently acquired a bit of weight to take with me.

-L

Thread Information