The Old Days
Create Post
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Old Days

The Old Days

Some things stay the same, in the Corps, and some things change over the years. In the old days, 1963-1967 we flew to boot camp on C-130s, and the spacious interior allowed us to get a head start (not that we wanted to) on close order drill, as well as the chance to get fitted, and issued utilities while in the air. This gave us sort of a head start in learning some USMC basic activities so that we would already have received a brief introduction to these things prior to landing at the two recruit depots.......Billy (Mongoose) says that the yellow footprints were on the floor of the C-130 cargo aircraft, but I'm a little hazy on that part of it.....anyone else remember getting an early start to boot camp before even arriving there?

Similar Threads:

I believe Bruce Lee said it best "To change with change is the changeless state." Hell it has changed a lot since I've been in and its only been 7 years. Don't ask Don't tell got repealed, we went from no sleeve rolling to rolling sleeves, to greens year round, now the whole Transgender issue, the quality of Marine is certainly changing, a lot less work ethic in a lot of them and discipline issues definitely. I can say at times I am a discipline issue on occasions for certain things. But it is definitely different now than in 2011.

I'm not in tune with the Modern Corps of today. I do remember boarding the big C-130 with other new inductees. They had the Yellow foot-prints painted on the floor of the Plane. There was a big sign on board that said " You're Ass belongs to the Corps ". There was 2 Barbers that cut our hair in flight and we were then measured and issued 3 sets of Utilities.....of which we had to put one on and bag up our civvies. I can recall, there was a loud speaker in the Planes Cargo Bay, where we was, that was constantly playing a record of a D.I. yelling....get over there Maggot....get your head out of your ass you stupid ****......the best part of you run down your Mothers leg. We were scared to say the least. The last half of the flight we were doing close order drill. I will never forget this part of my Marine experience......just saying

I don't remember the haircut part, Billy, but there was so much going on, and I had turned 17 just 2 weeks before going to boot camp, that it's no wonder I don't recall it.

Mongoose, do you remember some making E-4 out of boot camp? The guide, the house mouse, and that was about it for our platoon of 81 recruits. Making Corporal out of boot was very uncommon, but at least two of every platoon did. Things sure have changed since then. After those days, a few made PFC out of boot camp, but never E-4 that I ever heard of.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If yah Knocked out the Plt bully,in front of the DI you got PFC

I remember the constant "hum" of those big herc engines almost drowning out the DI's screams, and every time some boot missed a command we ALL had to pay.....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    What a transition from those footprints on the Aircraft too the ones on the Deck at PI getting the chit knocked outta yah by 6 DIís ,they were some real mean bastards Vets from other Wars and we where their Boys and they loved kicking A$$...

Quote Originally Posted by FistFu68 View Post
    What a transition from those footprints on the Aircraft too the ones on the Deck at PI getting the chit knocked outta yah by 6 DIís ,they were some real mean bastards Vets from other Wars and we where their Boys and they loved kicking A$$...

My grandson made Lance Cpl out of bootcamp being the platoon guide and series honor man, Semper Fidelis.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Outstanding Sgt...I know that when I was doing those 1arm pushups and jacking oFF at the same time on that C-130 singing the Marine Corps Hymn ...Hell I would have been Meritoriously promoted too Commandant in this Era of the USMC

hahahaha, Jack, that's amazing-----on another topic----nowadays I think recruits store dirty laundry in a laundry back and it is collected and brought back with clean clothes....in the old days there were wash racks out back of the barracks, and we washed our utilities by hand, scrubbed them clean, rinsed them and hung them up to dry....you can see this clearly in the Jack Webb movie (1957) "The D.I."-----we thought nothing of it at the time. What were we to think, as recruits?

And discipline was a little harsher, for all....we were outside the chow hall at PI in formation, studying our guidebooks as usual, when a Staff Sergeant walked by us, was confronted by a Lt Col for failing to salute the officer, whereupon, and we stood shocked at this, the Col not only chewed him out but had him drop down right then and there and do push ups. Now, the SSgt did in fact go to his own CO and tried to have some action taken against the Battalion Commander, the Lt Col, but no go. Those were the days of very strict discipline----for ALL, not only recruits.

One of the things the Lt Col explained to the regimental commander was this---suppose he, the Lt Col allowed recruits to see an NCO go about his business after said recruits just witnessed a failure to salute? What lesson would they take and keep with them for a long time afterwards?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Dave my brother Marine...these days we are what is known as Old Skool...

Thread Information