Canadian
Create Post

Thread: Canadian

Canadian

Hello Marines, I am a kid from Canada who wants to join the Uniten States Marines.I still have a year and a half of high school left as well as university, so what do you guys and gals recommend me taking to get a green card and doing the best in the Marines. Thanks for your time and please get back to me at your earliest convenience.
    Sincerily,
    Russell MacKay

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    First, you only need a HS diploma to enlist in the Marine Corps. Your college major has little to do with getting a green card. You will need that plus actual residence in the US in order to officially proceed with an enlistment. In fact, many recruiters will not even speak to you without the green card and you being at least 17-years old. Recruiters will not turn down people with a college degree if you insist on being an enlisted Marine.

If you are thinking of becoming an officer, you would need a bachelors degree plus full US citizenship. Your major is not important. You would then deal with an Officer Selection Officer (OSO), not an enlisted recruiter.

Once you turn 17, you could possibly travel and stop in at a Marine recruiting office and unofficially discuss what you need to do. They won't talk with you over the phone or via mail/email. US laws and Marine Corps policy restrict what they can do.

Going to the US embassy won't help as there are no recruiters there.

The most important things to concentrate on would be skills in reading, writing, and speaking the English language, which I am sure the Canadian school system is doing. Math skills won't hurt either.

Just for your information, when I was in the Corps, there were many Canadians who came over to fight in Vietnam. The one's I knew were excellent Marines and enjoyed a good reputation overall.

Thank you

Thank you for responding, how should I get legal residency in the US?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quite frankly, it ain't easy these days. The best way is to have a family member who lives in the US already to sponsor you. Another is for a US employer, who wants to hire you, act as your sponsor. Unfortunately for you, US law prohibits the US military from acting as an employment sponsor.

You can Google for more info.

How do I get a sponsor if I want to join full time?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You don't unless you have family here who will agree to sponsor you.

Does it have to be family?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yes. Unless you can get an employer here in the US that will hire you and then sponsor you. However, you will not make friends that way.

Some info to start out:
    http://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/...-citizens.html

Just do what most Marines do to get various benefits... "fall in love" with the first chick who winks at you and immediately get married.

Mike

Thread Information