Cutting Score Questions
Create Post

Cutting Score Questions

Okay, so I am trying to look at the many ways to increase my cutting score and I am not liking what I am seeing. (I am an 0311). So I thought that I would throw out a couple of questions to clear up somethings.

(1)Does the CFT currently affect the cutting score, and if so how does it calculate into it?

(2)I have seen the conversion tables for Table 1 rifle scores, but what if you shoot on table two too???

That is all I have for now, though I am sure that something else will come...

-The King of Spades

Credits
    Savings
    I'm not sure how the CFT works...I just got out of bootcamp and was told the CFT is pass/fail for now...not sure if its different in the fleet. Supposedly its going to a points system very very soon (may have already?)

And when you shoot table 1 to requal don't you have to shoot table 2 as well? I thought 3 and 4 were no required but 1 and 2 went hand in hand.

sorry i can't help ya more LCpl...i'm in the same boat you're in

Hmmm.

1. CFTs are pass/fail but there is a semi-scoring system implemented but its not integrated to the Composite Score as of right now. I would say this next CY/FY we'll see it implemented since everyone will be taking them again.

2. There SHOULD be some conversion charts for the new score system out there. I think I'll do a little legwork for you there but I'm sure someone will be by with the answer first.

*Goes off to google things*

Hope this helps you, I've got my 3270 open showing the "Composite Score Worksheet". Hopefully it'll give you a better idea of where your score comes from and how to improve it.

GMP Total = Rifle & PFT Score (for example, 307 Expert = 4.6 & 2nd Class PFT = 4.3) Taking those together, find the average. 8.9/2 = 4.5 (rounded to tenth) adding 450 points to your score.
    Average Duty Proficiency Total = 4.3 for example, that turns into 430 points in your score.
    Average Duty Conduct Total = 4.7 for excample, turning into 470 points to your score
    Self Education Total = 100 max points (15 per MCI you successfully complete)
    Time In Grade (Months) = # of months X 5 = more points to your score
    Time in Service (Months) = # of months X 2 = that many more.
    Special Duty/Command Recruiting/Reenlistment bonus points.

I hope this helps more than it confuses, let me know if you have any more questions, this is what I do in the USMC.

Credits
    Savings
    Cpl, how did you find out that a 307 is a 4.6?

Just a general question...back in my day, you got points for medals and ribbons as well as what you have mentioned above...has that been done away with? Each award had a set number of points given to it ... more senior awards get more points... if you received the same award more than once, you got multiple points...
    I was always told that if you didn't shoot well it would hurt your chance for promotion...despite my very low scores, it didn't affect me that much...I even went unqual one year ....still made Gunny in 10 years 11 months....

Ribbons/Medals no longer effect cutting scores Gunny. According to the calculator on MOL the CFT affects the cutting scores, by a lot. I think they will just average them into 1 score to keep it down, since I entered a random BS CFT score (270) (haven't ran one yet), it brought mine from 1418 to 1648. Now if they keep it like this, I should hit Corporal in January (when my score actually matters), if I do my MCI's. I made a rough estimate, that each Rifle Score point equals to about .73 on your cutting score. And each point in your PFT is about .83.

Quote Originally Posted by Lupo22 View Post
    Cpl, how did you find out that a 307 is a 4.6?
    There is a conversion chart somewhere, I used to have the old one when the there was no Table 2 involved, but here is MCO P1400.32D Marine Corps Order on Enlisted Promotions. In it has the old Rifle Conversion chart into "Rating" as well as the current PFT to "Rating" Conversion chart. No CFT changes in sight, updated as of 17Dec2008.
    http://www.marines.mil/news/publicat...W%20CH%201.pdf
    Don't be scared but it's a 194 page order, Ctrl+F works wonders

But to clarify, so nobody gets the wrong idea about it, there are 3 very large chunks of your Composite Score. GMP is the one I want to clarify as much as I can.

GMP will be about 400-500 of your points
    Proficiency (Avg Pro of Pro/Con in CURRENT GRADE) multiplied by 100.
    For example, 4.5 is 450 points of your Composite, 3.9 is 390, etc etc
    Conduct (Avg Con of Pro/Con in CURRENT GRADE) multiplied by 100.

GMP is "General Military Proficiency". Right now that is the Averaged ratings on your performance on the PFT, Rifle Range, and soon to come CFT.
    There should be rating charts per event ~ In the system I currently have a 307 Expert Rifle score. They have automatically turned it into the rating of "4.6" I believe to be out of a total of 5.0 (perfect rifle score, or close to)

Then the simple formula is applied
    GMP Subtotal 8.9 Divided by 2 (for the average) multiplied by 100, coming out to be 450 points on my Composite Score.

There currently is a slot in the system for "CBT FITNESS", but it's blank so I do believe they're working on throwing it into the GMP. Just a warning that it won't affect your Composite score that much.

Examples ~
    Old System
    Marine A ~ 300PFT 350 Rifle (5.0+5.0)/2*100 = 500 pts
    Marine B ~ 214PFT 307 Rifle (4.3+4.6)/2*100 = 450 pts

Assuming the New System stays on the same lines
    Marine A ~ 300PFT 350 RIFLE PERFECT CFT (5.0+5.0+5.0)/3*100=500pts
    Marine B ~ 214PFT 307 Rifle Almost perfect CFT (4.3+4.6+4.9)/3*100=460pts

Marine A stayed at 500pts for his GMP even with the addition of the CFT.
    Marine B improved by 10 points by getting a great CFT to add to his mediocre Rifle/PFT.

Any more questions I'm glad to answer. I'm a 3043 Supply Admin by trade, but with about 1 1/2 years of 0151 On-Job-Training.

Thanks Monk - just trying to keep up with some of the changes that have occurred over the past 43 years. I'm not sure if I like the idea of just having a cutting score based on the items listed in this thread. During my days in the late 60s and early 70, we had a number of things that affected promotion...Most everyone with a clean record (more or less) got promoted to E2 at around 6 months if they had not gotten a meritorious promotion in boot camp or ITR. Lance Corporal was more or less automatic after about 6 to 9 months in grade. Corporal and Sergeant meant going before a board if you made the cutting score...you were not automatically promoted.

As my time passed, I found myself in Vietnam as a L/CPL with 2 1/2 years in the Corps...I felt like I was the senior E3 in First MAW...I know I was in my squadron. I always fell short by 1 to 5 points each month....finally my LT got me a meritorious mass and it added 5 points and I made CPL....then things started moving...six months later I picked up SGT...and 4 years later I got picked up in the under-zone for SSGT. 4 1/2 years later Gunny. Wish I could have stayed on active duty...I know I would have made E8 under 20, but I still had enough time to make E9 also....would have liked to tried...

You young'ins keep your nose clean and push forward....you Devil Pups are just as fine a Marine that has every been produced...make us Old Salts proud.

Gunny H

How can I improve my cutting score?

Hello, im new to the site and didnt know how to start a thread. I have a question related to cutting scores so i thought it would be a good idea to go along with what you had already asked. I only have 169 points before I can pick up CPL and would like to know how i can come up with those points. I know i already have the time in i just need to find other ways to improve my current score. How can i do this and can it be done quickly? Thank you.

LCpl Wormer

Quote Originally Posted by wormer View Post
    Hello, im new to the site and didnt know how to start a thread. I have a question related to cutting scores so i thought it would be a good idea to go along with what you had already asked. I only have 169 points before I can pick up CPL and would like to know how i can come up with those points. I know i already have the time in i just need to find other ways to improve my current score. How can i do this and can it be done quickly? Thank you.

LCpl Wormer
    Well, it has been a long time since I have been on this site, but the email of LCPL Wormer brought me here. As you have noticed, I am now a CPL, and I am working on getting Sergeant. In a nutshell, the answer to your question is complicated. First things first, it is going to be a while for you to pick up if you keep on the same level of performance that you are at now with how many points you are away, so some things are going to have to change. Here are my tips, in order of importance-

1- DO YOUR MCI's!!! All seven of them, especially Leading Marines or Leadership for Marines, or whatever the hell they are calling it now. You want to complete seven of them. They are worth 15 points each and you can have a max of 100 points from this field (that is way you should do SEVEN)

2- Pro's and Con's This is how your command feels you are performing. If you do a good job, your pro's and con's will increase. Why this is important, each time your score on either of these goes up .1, that adds 10 points to your composite score. So, if you are getting 4.3/4.3, start standing out. I promise, if you do as you are told and work an extra 15 minutes a day, raising this to 4.5/4.5 is cake. That means an extra 40 points. (I will get to why that is important in a second)

3-PFT/CFT/ and Rifle Score All three of these total up to give you a up to 500 points, but they are based on averages. Most of the conversion charts can be found online, just know that to get the most out of your PFT you need to score 285+ and to get the most out of your CFT you need to get a perfect 300. I do not recall what the rifle one is, but it is out there on the web (beware, some of these are out dated and useless)

4-Recruiting, if you want to go the extra mile, every new bright-eyed recruit you help send off to paradise on the great beach resort of Parris Island gets you 20 points, enjoy that.

5- Time, this is the one that you have no control of because it is going to happen anyways. You get 5 points per month for time in grade, and 2 points per month for time in service. That is seven points a month, or 21 points a quarter (because your score is calculated every quarter, not monthly). That means, the extra 40 points you got for being a super Marine will help get you promoted about 6 months faster. That also means that at your current progress, if you just let time do the promoting for you, it will take about 2 years for you to pick up CPL.

Does that make sense? If not, feel free to post again, and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you very much Cpl. That helps me alot. I have about 2 1/2 years left on my contract (Reserves) so im hoping to pick up before I get out. I will get more MCIs done. I have a few in already and im a 3rd award rifle expert so i will just have to wait it out when I have done all I can. Thank you again.

LCpl Wormer

Question Can the points in your cutting score go down?

Hello marines, i am in the reserves and the cutting scores for October just came out in july i had 1582 and the score for October is 1585, thinking i was going to pick up sgt i went to MOL and check my score, just to find out some how I'm missing 139 points,for my surprise my new score was 1443 i have never heard of anyone with their points dropping like this or any at all, can you guys please tell me if this is right, can this happen? I google for at least 2 hours trying to find out if this is right but nothing so what better than asking my fellow marines.

Did you fail to complete an event or do worse in an event? Rifle Qual, PFT, something where that score would 0 out? Pros/Cons going down can effect it a little but not that much. The only thing that would effect it that much would be if you Unqd the range or failed a PFT or went from expert to Marksman or 1st class to 3rd.

Thread Information