Parris Island Drill Instructors need your help!
Create Post

Parris Island Drill Instructors need your help!

Good Morning Ladies and Gentleman,

My name is SSgt Winningham and I am currently serving as a Drill Instructor with Fox Company, 2nd RTB. The billet I am currently holding down here is the “EDI” which is Experienced Drill Instructor. We are the heart beat of the team and have the greatest burden of teaching Drill and Uniform regulations to the recruits and everything else imaginable. One of the traditions that some of the companies have on the island is the EDI wears the original brass waist plate buckle on his duty belt instead of today’s anodized “brass” buckle. Once that EDI becomes a SDI he gets his name engraved on the back and passes it down. My company is trying to start this honor tradition but we are having trouble finding the genuine brass DI duty buckles. If any of you can help or can point us in the right direction we would greatly appreciate it. Traditions is what sets the corps apart. If you have a buckle like these and want it involved in creating Marines, please respond.

Semper Fi
    SSgt Winningham

Similar Threads:

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Very good thread, and very good subject, hopefully someone can assist you.

Quote Originally Posted by derikdrock1989 View Post

My name is SSgt Winningham and I am currently serving as a Drill Instructor with Fox Company, 2nd RTB. The billet I am currently holding down here is the “EDI” which is Experienced Drill Instructor. We are the heart beat of the team and have the greatest burden of teaching Drill and Uniform regulations to the recruits and everything else imaginable. One of the traditions that some of the companies have on the island is the EDI wears the original brass waist plate buckle on his duty belt instead of today’s anodized “brass” buckle. Once that EDI becomes a SDI he gets his name engraved on the back and passes it down. My company is trying to start this honor tradition but we are having trouble finding the genuine brass DI duty buckles. If any of you can help or can point us in the right direction we would greatly appreciate it. Traditions is what sets the corps apart. If you have a buckle like these and want it involved in creating Marines, please respond.

Semper Fi
    SSgt Winningham

S/Sgt. I would check with the SgtMaj. of the East Coast Drill instructors group and see if he can help you. I'm still looking for My S.D.I. S/Sgt. R. Fields from 1973 plt. 114 Feb 12 to May 1 1973

Follow this link http://www.parrisislanddi.org/

Credits
    Savings
    Good idea, Bill.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by derikdrock1989 View Post

My name is SSgt Winningham

I am currently serving as a Drill Instructor
    Fox Company, 2nd RTB.

The billet I am currently holding down here is “EDI”
    which is Experienced Drill Instructor.

We are the heart beat of the team
    and have the greatest burden of teaching
    Drill and Uniform regulations to the recruits
    and everything else imaginable.

One of the traditions that some of the companies have
    on the island is the EDI wears the original
    brass waist plate buckle on his duty belt

instead of today’s anodized “brass” buckle.

Once that EDI becomes a SDI -
    he gets his name engraved on the back -
    and passes it down.

My company is trying to start this honor tradition
    but we are having trouble finding
    genuine brass DI duty buckles.

If any of you can help
    or can point us in the right direction we would greatly appreciate it.

Traditions is what sets the corps apart.
    If you have a buckle like these and want it involved
    in creating Marines, please respond.

Semper Fi
    SSgt Winningham

HotChocolate-

One of the traditions that some
    of the companies have on the island
    is the EDI wears the original brass waist plate buckle
    on his duty belt

but we are having trouble finding the

Sweetpea???

Are you scrounging
    "OldBucklesForBoots" ?

Or
    You don't know how to take the
    anodizing off items in the supply chain
    on the new buckles ???

Worse comes to worse -
    head down to PI base Motor-t

anodizing was removed soaking
    BRASS overnight in Vinegar.
    then duraglit or brasso the $hit out of it

Credits
    Savings
    SSgt, hopefully someone can offer you some help here.

Can't answer your question but, do have an observation to make and maybe a question of my own regarding boot Marines and their uniform appearance.

I belong to the "Parents of Paris Island Support Group" on facebook for about the last 5 years when my niece was in Papa Company there. Lots of parents posts pics of their boot Marines while home on bootcamp leave. Can't say it's common, but too often, there will be a boot Marine with his dress blues on and his collar emblems on backwards. Even see one occasionally with no collar emblems on at all (maybe were not issued to him). Since you teach uniform regulations, can you explain how boot Marines can go home and not know how to wear their dress blues properly? Also have seen blue trousers that appear to be unhemmed/5 or 6 inches too long and dragging the deck (imagine that is a tailor shop issue). Will also point out, the boot Marines I've seen in photos with improper uniforms have all been males. For some reason, the females all know how to put their collar emblems on properly and wear their uniforms according to regulations.

This is not a dig at you or the other EDI's at PI. I cringe every time I see one of these photos and ask myself "how in the hell does this continue to happen", "aren't these boots taught any better", and, "do they just lack attention to detail/don't give a $hit"". I realize you don't have any control over them once they graduate and leave the island but something is not sticking when it comes to proper wear of the dress blue uniform (would think they're inspected in at least once). Maybe you can look into any issues with the tailor shop not hemming trouser legs to the proper length.

Always had these questions but never had the opportunity to ask someone who may know the answers till now.

I've got my brass belt plate, but if I gave it up I wouldn't have one...

No help there, I just wonder why they are not being made any more if that's the case or what...???

SSgt, try contacting someone in the MP unit at Camp Lejeune, they may know how or where to obtain the waist plate buckles you are looking for, they were standard issue for MP's in the 70's and 80's, and probably still are.

Quote Originally Posted by m14ed View Post

HotChocolate-

One of the traditions that some
    of the companies have on the island
    is the EDI wears the original brass waist plate buckle
    on his duty belt

but we are having trouble finding the

Sweetpea???

Are you scrounging
    "OldBucklesForBoots" ?

Or
    You don't know how to take the
    anodizing off items in the supply chain
    on the new buckles ???

Worse comes to worse -
    head down to PI base Motor-t

anodizing was removed soaking
    BRASS overnight in Vinegar.
    then duraglit or brasso the $hit out of it
    Ed, my brother, the GOLD ANODIZING on todays brass IS NOT the same as the emnu or varnish coating that came on the brass during the 60's and 70's... whole 'nother thing altogether, and vinegar will only make it smell like a salad.... just sayin....

William....no need to explain, Brother....your talking about Ed.....

Billy, we have to provide a "guiding light" for him sometimes, other times, he just leaves us gaping in awe..... LOL.....

As far as I know, todays MP's wear black leather gear just like civilian LEO's, not brass waist plates.

correct, BUT they still maintain the white web gear with the brass waist plate for "formal ceremonial purposes"....

Thread Information