50 yearsago
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50 yearsago

Credits
    Savings

50 yearsago

Fifty years ago today Aug.23,1968 I stepped off that bus and onto those famous yellow footprints at Parris Island S.C. at O-Dark-Thirty ! such a lovely place and what a way to end the summer ? haha

wow, brother, it was Aug 23 for me as well, just it was 1973 for me. San Diego

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by gkmoz View Post
    Fifty years ago today Aug.23,1968 I stepped off that bus and onto those famous yellow footprints at Parris Island S.C. at O-Dark-Thirty ! such a lovely place and what a way to end the summer ? haha

Same Date huh ? 45 is a long time ago as well? wouldn't change a thing ! it was the right thing at the right time for me

me as well, I was, at first just trying to decide whether I wanted to follow in the footsteps of my Dad uncles and brothers, but after working for a bit I decided that I just didn't want to be adrift anymore and I needed to make a decision.
    it wound up being the smartest thing I ever did...

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    LONG time ago-----seems like a hundred years ago and sometimes it seems almost like yesterday---I wondered why I don't recall the yellow footprints, then did some research and found out they didn't even have them, yet, in late 1963, so that explained it for me....wondering how I remembered so much yet not the yellow prints

1967 for me....

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    1967 for me....

What are you saying? I'ma boot right

Congrats on your anniversary. I'm the boot at 43 years ...

50 years ago today I was taking boo koo walks in the park out in the Arizona. I landed in PI mid January 1967.

Russ... didja find that can of peaches and the 4 pack of "Chesterfields" I left for ya out there??? 53 years ago August I was just arriving "in-country".....

No, some starving brother already got to those, but I did find the pound cake and some lucky strikes.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    No, some starving brother already got to those, but I did find the pound cake and some lucky strikes.

First time I ever ate pound cake was in the C-rats haha loved the pineapple as well Mmmmm...seemed I always got the Chesterfields in mine?

I don't remember what date i got into boot camp but i did graduate on 19 January 1951 which figures out to 68 plus years ago that i was in the corps. It seems like a faint memory of that time but i still have vivid memories of boot camp and i still feel that pride of being a marine. Now I'm in the twilight of my life and reminisce quite often about those days.

Damn James....your C-rats came with a bag of tobacco and rolling papers.

In the future those c-rats need to hold a lot more toilet paper for when everyone has the dysentery. These are the stories of the Corps no one wants to know about.

Thread Information