Wanting to become a marine have had past surgery help!
Create Post

Question Wanting to become a marine have had past surgery help!

Hello marines,
    I’m strongly considering joining the United States marine corps. I tore my labrum in a football game around a year ago it was a very small tear but I got surgery on it this January 01/18 I’m fully recovered 15 pull-ups and as many push-ups as needed I’m in great physical shape. I’ve talked to my recruiter and he had me fill out a ton of medical papers and told me he’d submit it but I’d most likely be permanently dqed from the marine corps since it’s an upper body injury and said the only real way to get in was to get a tattoo to cover the scars and lie to Meps that the injury never happened. Can you guys give me any advice I really want to become a marine. My brother is currently in the corps right now and is pushing me to get a tattoo so that I can enlist. I’m just worried that later on down the road I’ll get caught lying.

Similar Threads:

Don't lie. You should never lie, but especially not about something like this which could be discovered pretty easily. If it was fully repaired and you get all the med paperwork you need I bet you'll be fine. Good luck and stay on top of your recruiter about it.

My recruiter hasn’t sent the medical papers and Is rather encouraging me to cover it up. I just don’t want to get dqed, yeah I’d go another branch but the honor and title don’t come as the marines.

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Three things. Mike gives good advice. Listen to what he says.
    What good would it be to join an outfit that you really look up to, if it is all based on a lie? Always looking over your shoulder, worrying about a very real military crime under the UCMJ called Fraudulent Enlistment.

Third, and I have to get up on my soapbox here for a little speech.

Years before you were even thought of, the Marine Corps did not have this policy of excluding very good potential Marines for the slightest reason. As per common sense, if a person could serve his or her country, the Corps would allow them the privilege of becoming United States Marines. Since then, that very common-sense policy has been watered down so that nowadays if you had a common cold when you were three years old, or someone forgot to change your diaper when you were an infant, and you got a rash, you are now excluded from serving in the nation's most demanding and elite branch of service.

also, to go along with everything else, when the Marine Corps gets all of your medical records, and they will, the surgery will show up and then you're screwed for sure and for certain
    and if you are denied I believe you can appeal that initial decision. plus I think I'd be looking for a different recruiter from a different part of town or another city.

I think your recruiter just doesn't want to put in the leg work. I'm not going to lie, if I thought the only way I would have gotten in was by lying about something I would have too, it meant that much to me as I'm sure it does you.

That said, I've heard plenty of anecdotes of people getting in with various repaired knee and shoulder injuries. If it's been 1+ year, you are 100% healed, and you have full functionality it should be waiverable.

I'll reiterate, something like this is likely to be discovered if you ever injure your shoulder again, and the Marine Corps is a physical activity. It's not like you had something nobody will ever know about (which you still shouldn't like about). Get all the paperwork together and apply for a waiver.

Also, if you are denied, it doesn't necessarily end there. Also as a Marine now in the Army I wouldn't be so quick as to write off another branch of service in the unlikely event this doesn't work out. Keep us posted.

Mike

That recruiter does not deserve to be representing our Marine Corps. They should be relieved and sent back to the fleet. What you SHOULD do is report them to their boss and let the chips fall where they may. Understanding, this will end your relationship with that recruiting station (and that recruiter's career), nobody there will be willing to work with you. What this recruiter is doing goes against everything they're taught in recruiting school and violates one of our 14 leadership traits: integrity (always telling the truth) - something your brother needs to think about as well.

Your recruiter also sounds lazy to me, that's why they're bringing up the probable permanent DQ cause they don't want to put the extra work in. If you don't want to turn them in, at least insist on the medical waiver and then keep your fingers crossed. At least you'll know you played by the book.

Your call. Good luck.

Thread Information