Lat move into recon vs recon contract
Create Post

Lat move into recon vs recon contract

I'm a poolee wanting to join 03xx field and want to go recon during my enlistment. I am not in the best shape however and wanted some advice on if i can always lat move into recon during my enlistment so i can have more time to physically prepare or if that opportunity is unlikely also how much time do I have during SOI to pt before they select people for recon? Any advice is appreciated thank you.

Similar Threads:

Read the similar threads under your post.

It may be possible to lat move into recon, usually at reenlistment. The normal route for grunts in the fleet is, recon battalions have try outs for grunts in infantry battalions. If you pass the local try out, you're sent to recon indoc at Camp Pendleton CA. If you get thru indoc, you're sent to recon school. Upon successful completion of the school, and assignment to a recon battalion, your infantry MOS will be changed to recon.

Not aware they select Marines for recon at SOI (never heard that) but maybe they do. Your recruiter should know.

Don't know how much organized PT is on the training schedule at SOI. You get enough PT humping (hiking) with weapons. However much PT is done there would not be enough to prepare one for recon indoc. A lot of the preparation for indoc is spent in the pool, there is no pool time at SOI.

Good luck. Recon:
    images.jpeg

He's probably referring to the contract that allows an opportunity to try out after SOI. Since you're not in the best shape now, don't bother with that. I think you'll have the best shot with some experience under your belt. It will also be helpful to meet some guys in recon who can help advise/prepare you.

Mike

Thank you both for the advice and thank you both for your service!

Thread Information