Before I join PLC in college
Create Post

Before I join PLC in college

Hi, I’m wondering if I can get some advice from an officer that went through PLC and college route. I’m meeting with an OSO Monday, but I’m wondering if there’s anything I need to know that they might leave out (on purpose or accident). For instance, I’ve read that you can get a scholarship up to 7k a year or something (I’ve seen different figures everywhere online), but is that just worded in a way that you could get a scholarship but most may not? Any advice would be great! Thanks

Similar Threads:

We see this a lot these days, being suspicious of recruiters and OSO, even before there is any possible reason to be. Oh well, times change.

Only a couple officers post here and that's rare. Hang around and maybe one will see your post.

Good luck.

I've never heard of OSOs giving potential officers the run around, or being dishonest. The USMC is picky with their officers, they aren't going to pull any stunts to get you in. If you don't want it, they don't care about you.

Good bit of advice as you are at the early stages of your career: Be your own advocate. Nobody cares about your career like you do. Often, others don't care about your career at all, period. Do your own homework (which is good on you for doing here), read everything your given, follow up on everything yourself, and go from there. OSOs will be a great resource, but if something sounds suspect and your OSO can't give you an answer, look into it or ask tactfully to speak to a superior.

There are valid criticisms of some of the tactics SOME enlisted recruiters use. Given how selective the officer corps is, I doubt you'll see it there.

Prior to meeting with your OSO write out a list of questions to ask. If you come up with more questions while you are there, write them down.

Disclaimer: was never a Marine Corps officer.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by crazymjb View Post
    I've never heard of OSOs giving potential officers the run around, or being dishonest. The USMC is picky with their officers, they aren't going to pull any stunts to get you in. If you don't want it, they don't care about you.

Good bit of advice as you are at the early stages of your career: Be your own advocate. Nobody cares about your career like you do. Often, others don't care about your career at all, period. Do your own homework (which is good on you for doing here), read everything your given, follow up on everything yourself, and go from there. OSOs will be a great resource, but if something sounds suspect and your OSO can't give you an answer, look into it or ask tactfully to speak to a superior.

There are valid criticisms of some of the tactics SOME enlisted recruiters use. Given how selective the officer corps is, I doubt you'll see it there.

Prior to meeting with your OSO write out a list of questions to ask. If you come up with more questions while you are there, write them down.

Disclaimer: was never a Marine Corps officer.

Mike
    Mike,
    Thanks a lot. I’ve just been told that some recruiters may not always be truthful and exaggerate, but I wasn’t sure about OSOs. I’m not saying they are. That’s just what I’ve heard. I’ll be cautious and make sure it’s the right decision.
    Thanks
    Will

There is so much proactivity required on your part to be an officer it's not like you can just get "talked into it."

Some recruiters downright lie, or ask potential recruits to lie. Many recruiters "fluff." The thing you need to remember is the "fluff" isn't all malicious... these guys are usually on their 2nd or 3rd enlistment as Staff NCOs. They are the Marines who have, generally, decided to make the Marine Corps a career. The overwhelming majority of Marines do 4 years and get out. While the "grass is always greener," you certainly have it more rough during the beginning of your career, especially on the enlisted side. Recruiters often gloss over a lot of this stuff because it's not sexy, and frankly, if you make the military a career it really ultimately isn't defining of one's whole experience.

I really liked my recruiter, but he never told me about the amount of cleaning, waiting around, getting treated like a child, etc that I'd go through. That said, as an NCO, that stuff becomes much less overwhelming a part of your experience.

On the officer side, you are looking at a whole different experience. Your choices if I recall are also much more limited: Air, Ground, and JAG, and from there it's all a merit based wish list.

Mike

Current 2nd Lt here. I went the OCC route, but a lot of the PLC guys in my OCS platoon said they were going to be able to apply for scholarships when they were back at their OSO. It sounds like it's kind of a luck of the draw situation on getting them, but they were all under the impression that they were available.

Another random thought, and I'm not saying you're in the wrong mindset at all, just keep in mind that the Marine Corps is all about getting the job done as cheaply as possible. So scholarships like that could get axed if they decided to shift that money somewhere else.

Thread Information