Active Duty Infantry to Reserve Infantry
Create Post

Active Duty Infantry to Reserve Infantry

Semper fiddly ****

Im an 0311 thats been in for about 2 and a half years now active duty. A few days ago i met with my units career planner and he mentioned something about reserve infantry and it got a dumb ****ing idea in my head, "why not go reserve infantry? less dumb **** and i still get to do the job i like"

Don't get me wrong, I love the **** out of the infantry. the tough **** is what gets my dick hard. That being said, I can only take so much dumb **** before i lose my ******* mind. field saying until ****ing 2300 every ****ing thursday and being told that were doing 50 different things and none of them are right on a daily basis is ****ing gay.

just wondering if anyone knows what the transformation is like from active infantry to reserve infantry (I PUT EMPHESIS ON INFANTRY BECAUSE I DO NOT WANT TO DO ANY OTHER JOB AND I WANT TO HEAR EXPERIENCE FROM OTHER 03'S IN THE RESERVES)

Also if anyone could elaborate on the day to day basis and if there is any sort of work up schedule relative to that of active duty grunts (Ours are literally a year long, deployments are 6-7 months)

Thanks,
    -disgruntled peace time Ivan killer

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm sure you know that there is no going anywhere until you finish your active duty contract.

Meanwhile, look for a reserve infantry company near where you plan to live after you get out of active duty. Contact them and see if they project any open 03 slots around the time you get out of active duty. As a reservist you can enlist directly into the MOS you want if they have an open billet. They will tell you what you need to do to join after you get out of active duty.

If your reserve unit is activated (not so many of those lately), the workups and deployment lengths are about the same. The same BS applies.

You will need a civilian job as reserve pay won't make it for you.

when I went from Active infantry (0331) to reserve infantry I found that, at least in my unit out of Grand Rapids Mi, that the only difference is that the training, while just as intense, was one weekend a month and 2 weeks a year, until the first Gulf war then the unit got called to take the place of the 3rd Mar. Div. out of Okinawa. but a lot depends on the I.I. assigned to your local unit.
    some are more intense than other, our was Capt. Venola, he was a very serious but a very well schooled officer and studied histories like Puller and Patton...

I'm tracking as far as how the MOS projection works. I just need to see if my EAS works with their dates. However. I was looking more specific. I'm trying to become educated on the idea of a once a month infantry unit. Honestly baffles my mind considering warfighting is a perishable skill. But I digress. Thank you for your information

-sincerely,
    That team leader with a sick moustache

Quote Originally Posted by irpat54 View Post
    when I went from Active infantry (0331) to reserve infantry I found that, at least in my unit out of Grand Rapids Mi, that the only difference is that the training, while just as intense, was one weekend a month and 2 weeks a year, until the first Gulf war then the unit got called to take the place of the 3rd Mar. Div. out of Okinawa. but a lot depends on the I.I. assigned to your local unit.
    some are more intense than other, our was Capt. Venola, he was a very serious but a very well schooled officer and studied histories like Puller and Patton...
    Thanks for your input. Wield how you mentioned 3rd MARDIV since that's who I'm under. (2/3) thanks for the clarification. I'm all for intense training and preparedness, however, I just want to be done with the idea of ssgt harddick screaming down me and my marines throats for not having a dusted wall locker 24/7 I'm fine with part time.
    I love the Infantry. Running and gunning with my boys is the **** and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I just hate active military Bull****
    During peace time, how does a typically "work up" look like? A work up for us is literally a year of on and off on the field and out hip pocket classes and ranges all year round non stop. A deployment for us (during peace time) is relatively the same but we have a mission during such. What's it like for reserves? Basically what I mean is what exactly does the training look like? Because based off of my experience all I can see is ITX style range 400'so and 410's

the unit I was in, before the run-up to the first gulf war it was 1 weekend a month they crammed 3 working days into 1 for 3 days, we'd get our orders about 1 to 1 1/2 weeks ahead as to what gear we would need for the training program for that month, almost every training program was either combat tactics or training with repelling or the rifle range once a year, or the gas chamber once a year.

I never had any SSgt or Gunny or Officer scream at me or my troops as long as we did our job and worked hard he or the II would correct us but never did they scream as us.
    I enjoyed my time there until I got hurt then when it was suggested that I get out, do to the severity of the injury, that really hurt...
    how I miss those days.

might I suggest that if you LOVE the 03 job and training as much as you say, then stick around... the BS you do not like gets less and less as you move up the chain... there is ALWAYS going to be at least ONE azzhat wherever you go, including the civvie world... the good thing about the Corps is that you move on every 3 to 4 years, so you are not stuck with that particular azzhat forever... sometimes, it is just as important to learn what kind of leader NOT TO BE as it is to learn what kind of leadership gets the mission accomplished as well as earns the respect of your men... as an 03, you will also get ample opportunities to serve in "99" billets, like I&I duty, recruiting, the drill field, and some others... don't fool yourself, there are not that many jobs in the civilian world these days that will allow you to stick around long enough to get the kind of retirement benefits that 30 (or even 20) years in the Corps will get you... look hard before you leap, it is a lot easier to stay in than it is to get back in these days.....
    oh yeah, give yourself an "attitude adjustment" before someone decides to do it for you... there will always be some BS going around, but sometimes YOU can cause it to be dumped on yourself deeper than what it would have been otherwise...

I was an 0311 back in the day (the Nam). I loved being an 03 in the field and wasting the gooks (1/5 & 3/5), but the chicken shiit in the states was not for me. Back then I was able to make Cpl fast (only 14 months) so as an NCO, we were respected then, I got out of the peon work, though I sometimes had to head working parties.

I got an early out and became a cop. Now that was a life with lots of action and training and very wild at times. I loved both, the Corps while in the shiit and the cops in the projects.

The worse part today is that I can't tell my stories of what I/we did because no one would believe them, but I've got the memories and the scars. Just saying.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    [QUOTE=

The worse part today is that I can't tell my stories of what I/we did because no one would believe them, but I've got the memories and the scars. Just saying.[/QUOTE]

I'd believe you, Russ.

Well, I have some WTF stories too......being an 03 was not a pleasant job in my day.

The worse part today is that I can't tell my stories of what I/we did because no one would believe them, but I've got the memories and the scars. Just saying.[/QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    I'd believe you, Russ.

Thread Information