Looking to Buy Dress Blues?
Create Post

Lightbulb Looking to Buy Dress Blues?

First-time post for me so here goes...

Will be standing tall with the Commander in Chief this November in DC with other veterans and wanted to wear Dress Blues. There is no way in hell I could ever fit into my original blues awarded at Parris Island in 1967 by Leatherneck Magazine as Outstanding Man. I'm well aware of the uniform standards retired or honorably discharged Marines have to adhere to. I lost 22 lbs and had been working out for about six months since I had this idea.

Anyway, I cruised on down to Oceanside and looked around several surplus stores in the area. They all have a boatload of blues for sale, but they are all sized 42 and smaller. I'm a 44 now. Was told larger sizes are extremely rare. Was also told to look on Ebay. Not a big fan of buying used clothing online, so I got lucky and found a size 44
    blouse at GI Joes in decent shape.

Took it to ABC Laundry & Surplus located right next store for alterations. They put on a larger collar and by some miracle were able to let it out in the chest area to fit PERFECTLY. Be advised the tailoring and blouse set me back about $380.00, not to mention the gas to drive down from Los Angeles. ABC even shipped the completed uniform (trousers and blouse) pressed and cleaned with Sgt. chevrons, 4-year hashmark and buttonholes (to mount anodized high gloss buttons) back to me in LA when finished.

Bottom line, if you want a set of blues and are willing to meet the uniform standards (hair and weight - no fat bodies, please!), and are willing to spend the money on the rest of the uniform (waist plate, white belt, buttons, cover, chevrons, mounted medals and ribbons, etc.) it can be done, but NOT on the cheap. If you can make it down to Pendleton, I recommend ABC Laundry and Surplus PN: 760.722.2412 - ask for Jeanette - she'll take good care of you.