What's it like to become a U.S Marine Drill Instructor?
Create Post

What's it like to become a U.S Marine Drill Instructor?

I would like to know, how does it feel to become a U.S Marine Drill instructor and why you chose this career? What were your experiences or any challenges you or others faced while turning civilians into Marines? I'm seeking this career into one of my possibles and I need to know what it takes to become a Marine Drill instructor.
    thank you.

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I don't know why you're concerned about becoming a Drill Instructor at this point.

Anyway, it's not a career by itself, merely an assignment some Marines achieve for a limited period of their overall Marine Corps career. For most, it's a three-year assignment.

First, you have to become a Marine. Then you go off to the Fleet and do your MOS with top notch proficiency. Your appearance is top notch, everything you do is top notch.

When you become a Sergeant, you can volunteer for drill instructor duty. You will undergo a selection process, and if successful, attend the Drill Instructor School at one of the Recruit Depots. If you pass the school, you'll be a DI. Assuming all goes well, you'll spend about three-years progressing from a 3rd or 4th Hat, up to a Senior Drill Instructor. You MIGHT get a second tour on the drill field after you go back to the fleet for a few years, but your assignments will generally not involve actual troop handling. Assignments like drill master, series gunnery sergeant, etc, will be more likely.

Being a DI is a high intensity, high stress job. That is why it's not a career track MOS. Most DIs are more than ready to go back to the fleet after three-years on the field.

Thank you I appreciate you for your response, I get the memo now.

Drill Instructor is considered a "special duty assignment" (SDA) just like Recruiter and Marine Security Guard Detachment Commander (embassy duty). Marines assigned to a SDA receive more money each month as an incentive to do it (I'm thinking it's something like $250.00 more each month but don't quote me on that amount).

Marines performing in a SDA are also considered to be in a "B" billet, because they are working outside of their Primary MOS (job). This is taken into consideration at promotion times because these Marines are still competing for promotion against their peers inside their MOS. Embassy Marines for example, are given 100 extra points which are added to their composite scores for promotion (another incentive to volunteer for the duty).

In order to be a career Marine, one must successfully complete at least one SDA. If not, you will not be promoted, and will be separated. If you wait too long and don't choose the SDA you feel best qualified for, one will be chosen for you.

It's possible to do multiple SDA's, depending on the needs of the Marine Corps. I had orders to Recruiters School coming off of embassy duty (never asked for those orders). Those orders got changed because the embassy duty commander wanted me back at embassy duty school in Quantico, VA. When I was at that school as a student detachment commander, we had two former DI's in my class. One graduated and the other was dropped from training and sent back to his former command (he forgot to take off his DI cover {hat}, and thought he was still pushing recruits on the drill field). One of our Instructor/Advisors at school (all are former Detachment Commanders on embassy duty) completed that assignment and then became a DI.

There are a handful of books available written by former DI's which should answer your questions. Search amazon.com and marineshop.net. Remember however, being a DI today is different than it was during the Vietnam, Korean War, and WWII eras for myriad reasons - there was no political correctness back then like there is today. DI's back then never even had to consider open gays, transexuals, etc like todays DI's do.

First things first. Your primary goal needs to be graduating bootcamp. You'll never make Marines unless you become one yourself. IF you do earn the title, drill instructor school is still a few years down the road, if at all.

Good luck.

images.jpeg

Thread Information