Marine Reserves Deployments
Create Post

Marine Reserves Deployments

I think I am going to Marine Reserves. I’ll be in the 1st Battalion 24th Marines(Infantry Battalion) . I am wondering as a 0311 how long my deployments and how many I will have? Are they like 6 months? 1 year? I am wondering because I have GF and all of that

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Marine Reserve units don't deploy very much right now. Some did when Iraq and Afghanistan were hot. When they did, I think they were ordered up for a year or so. Five months pre-deployment training (most away from home base), seven months deployed, and some time afterward winding down and squaring away gear.

That doesn't mean it can't happen in the future, and it doesn't mean the Corps has to hold to that exact timetable. Next time Reserve units could be deployed for the duration - as many years as it takes. It all depends on the nature of that war. World War II was an example of that. Reservists and National Guard were activated for the duration, plus six-months.

DoD doesn't like to use reserve units for excessively long periods of time if it can be avoided. When my Air Guard unit was activated for Desert Storm, we were gone only six months. My oldest daughter was activated three times from her AF Reserve unit. Once for five months (extended to seven at her request) in Germany. Seven more months in Germany. Then seven months in Afghanistan. All three of her deployments were in medical units and she's had her fill of seeing injured troops. Now she's in a non-medical, non-deployable billet.

The Marine Corps doesn't concern itself with your girlfriend. The Corps concerns itself with accomplishing the mission.

It really depends. During the peak of Iraq and Afghanistan reserve units were going about 4 and 1. So that was 4 years at home, 1 deployed. The typical SMCR deployment during the wars is what was mentioned: about a 5 month work-up at a Marine Corps base, 7 months overseas, and month de-mobilization. Lately the op-tempo seems to have slowed down, with some units stretching 6+ years without a deployment. Generally speaking, however, I'd expect at least one deployment, even if to Japan, for example.

Also, its not unusual for new Marines who haven't deployed in a reserve unit to be sent to a unit that is having a short-fall.

Again, expect at least one deployment to somewhere, and expect to be gone for a year all said and done.

Mike

Thread Information