Running Speed Keeping Me From OCS...Should I Enlist Instead?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Running Speed Keeping Me From OCS...Should I Enlist Instead?

To give an overview of my situation, I'll be graduating college in a couple of days and have been working with an OSO to attend OCC in September of this year (no contract yet). However, I'm currently in the process of getting a medical waiver for some mysterious health issues I used to have.

Although I have been preparing since June of last year, I am still not in good enough physical shape (can't run 3 miles in under 30 minutes). I have no idea what to do to improve this that I haven't already tried, I'm PTing 5 to 6 days out of the week. Stranger even, otherwise I'm in good shape, have good endurance, and did well at Mini OCS recently.

Prior to this, while in college I was working toward enlisting after I graduated, as I didn't think I could yet succeed in the extremely running intensive environment of OCS. However the enlisted recruiter encouraged me to pursue the officer path and after Marines from the officer recruiting station contacted me, I decided this was the path I wanted to pursue.

I'm now at a cross roads as I don't expect I can cut enough off of my run time before September to do well at OCS. Should I keep working and try for the training class in the summer, or would it be wiser to enlist and consider the officer path further down the road?

I realize the decision will ultimately be one I have to make, but any advice from Marines would be greatly appreciated. At the end of the day, I just want to earn the title of Marine. Thank you for reading my lengthy post.

TLDR: Slow running speeding keeping me from being ready for OCS; but in good shape otherwise. Considering enlisting.

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    For OCS, a very competitive process, minimum running times will not get you a seat in a class. Even enlisted recruits have a minimum time on the Initial Strength Test for the 1.5 mile run. I do not know what the minimum for a female is.

I do know, that after you take the IST again in boot camp, your DIs will have you running three miles pretty soon afterward. Minimums won't make them happy. Unhappy DIs means unhappy recruits as they like to share their unhappiness.

If you aren't going to be consistently running three miles close to the 20-minute mark, or faster, you might want to reassess your OCS goals.

Also, bear in mind that trying to get into officer training as an enlisted person is even harder than straight out of college. You will have to be a regular speed demon to have a chance. Essentially you'll have to max, or nearly max, your PFTs and CFTs.

I'd say it's most likely a training issue. I'm like you in some sense... even when I was running 10-13 miles a couple times a week my PFT run time was about 22 and half minutes. I've just never been a fast runner. That said, there were likely things I could have done that I failed to do to decrease my run time. Even if you are in incredible running shape endurance wise, you need to do sprints, fartleks, etc, to improve on speed.

I think if you are talking officer vs enlisted, and running is the ONLY obstacle, it would be worth paying a (good) personal trainer with a background in track and field to work with you for 3-6 months to improve your running time. If there is some physical limitation even after this, then you should consider the enlisted side. I wouldn't let running alone be the factor that kills you.

Nothing wrong with going enlisted first -- but if your big hold-up is running, there are better ways to try to fix that.

Mike

Jogging alone isn't going to have a major impact on your running time. You need to include a sprint regimen to build up the fast twitching muscles in your legs.

I would run 3-5 miles five days a week, and end each running session with a dozen or more 30-50 yard sprints. I was able to reduce my 3-mile run time from 20-22 minutes to under 18 minutes in less than a year.

Officers for the most part are runners. If you as an officer ever i mean EVER fall out of anything stand by to get your stuff pushed in tot he stone age. You as the officer are not allowed to fall out of anything. You must be in the front for every movement. If you want to be an officer you might want to start running not jogging, running. From one of my friends who did MECEP officers have a certain time in which they are supposed to be able to run 5 miles not just 3.

Like MvR said, officers need to be runners. Period.

Wombat, if you really want to be an officer, check Mike's post and get a personal trainer - it'll be an investment, but makes sense. If you decide your heart is set on becoming a Marine, no matter what, then enlisting is good. Lotsa old enlisted Marines around here...

Either way, you need to decide 100% that it's the path for you.

Good luck, and let us know what happens!

Never maxed out a PFT because of the 3 mile run (could max out the pull-ups and situps events). Consistent first class PFT's were never a problem but a perfect PFT never happened (got close a few times). I applied to the Warrant Officer Program 5 years in a row but never got selected. They never tell you why you weren't selected, but I always suspected not having a perfect PFT was a definite factor (the enlisted Marines I knew who were selected for commissioning programs all had perfect scores - one was a Senior Drill Instructor at Parris Island). Not saying you would never get commissioned from the enlisted side without a perfect PFT score but based on personal experience/observation, odds are against it. You'll always hear how competitive enlisted commissioning programs are (believe it), and this is just one example of that.

Never went through the traditional commissioning process with an OSO so can't comment about it.

Good luck with your decision.

I apologize for my slow response, I graduated! Thank you all for the insightful advice. I’ve decided to invest in a personal trainer or a membership at a specialized gym. If after several months I’m not able to make the needed progress, and/or it’s professional opinion that I can’t develop the speed needed to be an officer, I’ll enlist. It’ll be a good investment for fitness either way! While being an officer is still my goal, I ultimately want to become a Marine. I will update everyone on my progress!

I completely agree meeting only minimums in either the enlisted or officer path wouldn’t be acceptable, but is it possible to make the DIs happy while they’re training you? Hahah

Congratulations on your graduation! Getting that degree is quite an accomplishment and I hope it pays off for you. I finished both my AA and BS degrees on active duty and am sure they helped with promotions (all of my promotions were early/meritorious or on time).

A happy DI is an oxymoron. lol

Congrats dude! I think you are making the right call. You'd be surprised what hard work and proper coaching can pull off! Good luck and keep us posted.

Mike

^^^she's a dudette!

If you decide to go to PI, these Marines are awaiting your arrival:
    images.jpeg

Thread Information