Q's about MOSes, Wives, and Reserves
Create Post

Q's about MOSes, Wives, and Reserves

I'm just a few days from swearing into DEP but I've got some reservations about some things that I hope you guys can help clear up.

1. Most importantly I have a wife who I don't want to leave behind and I'm wondering when exactly spouses are allowed to move in together. I'm under the impression that after you complete boot camp and start combat training is when they're allowed to move in onto the base. Is that correct?

2. Second I've been looking into CRBN as my chosen MOS but I don't know what it is they exactly do. Honestly, is it exciting at all? If not what would be an exciting MOS?

3. In terms of benefits and pay what do active members get that reserves don't? E.g. Is there a difference in the amount of college tuition received? Also how much time out of the year do they actually perform their MOS?

Similar Threads:

Quote Originally Posted by Foxdie View Post
    I'm just a few days from swearing into DEP but I've got some reservations about some things that I hope you guys can help clear up.

1. Most importantly I have a wife who I don't want to leave behind and I'm wondering when exactly spouses are allowed to move in together. I'm under the impression that after you complete boot camp and start combat training is when they're allowed to move in onto the base. Is that correct?

my understanding is that your spouse and you will not be entitled to base housing until you get to your permanent duty station, and then that is if there are openings available.

2. Second I've been looking into CRBN as my chosen MOS but I don't know what it is they exactly do. Honestly, is it exciting at all? If not what would be an exciting MOS?
    I guess it all depends on if you like to learn and train on how to defend and react in case of Chemical or biological strike, that's what they do.

3. In terms of benefits and pay what do active members get that reserves don't? E.g. Is there a difference in the amount of college tuition received? Also how much time out of the year do they actually perform their MOS?
    lastly in the reserves you get paid by the number of drills you do, one weekend a month for stateside stations and two weeks a year, the weekend qualifies as 3 to 5 drills and the two weekers is just that two weeks. when deployed you would be looking at at least a year away from home.
    tuition receive would be much higher on active duty, reserves not so much

We waited 13 months for a housing unit aboard Camp Pendleton (no children). During that time, we rented an apartment in San Clemente CA (I did get a housing allowance that helped with the rent).

1. It probably depends. For infantry, it would be after SOI. For other MOS's it probably depends on school length but will be AFTER MCT, and possibly after mos school as well. I believe with some of the longer schools you rate a spouse.

2. Do your homework as this will be your job at least the next 4 years. Exciting depends on your definition. Kicking in doors? Driving tanks? Flying in helicopters? Analysing intelligence? Doing clerical work? Another thing to think about with a wife is MOS. Deployments are deployments, but some mos's will have you going on multiple extended camping trips on a regular basis while others are more of a 9 to 5. Something else to consider with a wife.

3. Reserves is just that -- reserves. You need to have another way to support yourself. You will make a few hundred bucks once a month. The bigger benefit is the ~40$ a month for family health insurance through tricare. You don't get **** for college benefits until after you go overseas. You get a little, but its pennies. Active duty WILL pay you a salary, but its not much when youre a new enlisted Marine. At the conclusion of 4 years you have a free ride to college. You can also attend some classes while on active duty.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Foxdie View Post

When you get to the fleet. If married before boot camp you will rate BAH all the way up until you check into the fleet.

Not sure what they do deployed, but in garrison you will run gas chambers.

I am not doing all your work for you, google is a thing
    !!

Thread Information