Joining in a year. A few questions.
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Joining in a year. A few questions.

So first of all I'd like to say thanks in advance.

I've always wanted to be in the military and I quite can't remember what got me focused on the Marines, but it's been a dream of mine and I want to make it come true. It's kind of a funny feeling knowing that I'm now only a year away and would like to ask a few questions and some general advice would be much appreciated.

1. I've done some practice tests for the ASVAB and math is the main thing that I suck at. I've always sucked at it. There are currently two MOS's I'm considering: Infantry, and tank crew. How badly would doing bad on math hurt my chances of qualifying for these jobs?

2. I'm not in the best shape right now but I'm going tomorrow to get started at the gym where I'm gonna try to whip myself into shape. Would a year be enough? I should of started earlier but I'm a bad procrastinator.

3. When should I start talking to a recruiter?

Similar Threads:

You sound like me when I joined the Marine Corps, and probably like most here.

Credits
    Savings
    That's comforting. I'm quite nervous. I don't want to botch it.

1. The math isn't crazy advanced but if need be get a tutor so you can do well. You may or may not use a lot of math. If I have people shooting mortars over my head I prefer they aren't idiots.

2. Depends what kind of shape you are in now. If you are severely overweight a year may not be enough. If you are just kinda weak, a year should be plenty. The infantry is a VERY physical MOS. You need to learn to like being in shape. I'd recommend at least an introductory workout with a trainer to come up with a fitness plan that will get you ready for the Marine Corps.

3. Yesterday. A recruiter can help you with this entire process. If you are planning to join in a year, and you want a specific job, know that every October is when the slots open up. Infantry and tanks fill very fast. You want to be in a position where you can swoop those up, and where your recruiter knows and likes you enough to make sure you get your choice.

Mike

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the answers! I'm not obese or anything just not in the shape I know I need to be in. I really don't want to end up in an MOS I don't want so gonna go start talking to that recruiter hopefully soon.

Lots of ways to study for the actual ASVAB. You can get study guides at your public library, can order study guides online, etc. There are even laminated cards with questions on one side/answers on the other you can carry around with you and study during your free time. You already understand the importance of attaining the highest score possible on the test. Higher your score, more MOS's you'll qualify for/more options available to you.

Good idea to get started on your physical fitness - don't want to waste this year. Once you enlist, and join your DEP, your recruiters will conduct organized physical training (PT) on a regular basis. Again, this will give you an idea the areas you need to work on most (running, upper body strength, core strength, etc). Besides strength and endurance, flexibility is important to reduce chance of injury (which will delay your progress).

Read the similar threads below your question. Good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks to you as well. Hopefully I'll be joining your brotherhood in the coming year!

I was out of high school for over 10 years when I took the asvab and I still scored high enough to get any job I wanted. No excuses.

Thread Information