Standing out in boot camp a bad thing?
Create Post
    Credits
    Savings

Standing out in boot camp a bad thing?

Hello all,

I've been told that standing out in boot camp isn't necessarily the best thing to do and the better option would be to be somewhere in the middle with everyone else. Why is that the case? As long as you can support the team while doing the best you possibly and humanly can doesn't seem like such a bad thing. Would love to hear your thoughts based on your experiences in boot camp. Thanks

Similar Threads:

Well lets see here......it's not good to stand out because your a shet-head. It's also never a good idea to enter boot-camp thinking your bullet proof and in a league of your own.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoOp View Post

standing out
    in boot camp
    isn't the best thing to be

the better option would be,
    to be "Out Fu*king-Standing"

"Grasshopper" -

There is a difference between the two

I was a squad leader in bootcamp; but I was fortunate that I was demoted./ I didn't want to standout; I just wanted to survive!

ORDO AD CHAO

If you stand out, good or bad, you are gonna have a harder time.

Let's say you are in a leadership role, for example. All of your failings will be highlighted, and anytime the group screws up you will receive extra punishment. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but you'll be making more work for yourself. If you can "hide," so to speak, you'll have an easier time.

Mike

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I have a different take on this standing out issue.

I've always believed that one should do the best job you can at whatever you are assigned. If it makes you stand out, so be it.

As a recruit, I was hired as a squad leader early in first phase. A few days later, the platoon scribe got fired for being an "educated idiot." I got fired as squad leader and hired as the new scribe. I worked hard at being a good scribe and was lucky to have an assistant scribe who believed in the "do not stand out" philosophy. He offered to help me with my gear so I could spend enough time on scribe duties to keep him out of the duty hut. I was also lucky in that he was skilled at the things necessary to keep my gear properly squared away. Win-win for both of us.

I made meritorious PFC out of boot camp, partially for my being a good scribe and partially for for several other reasons that made me stand out. Yes, I attracted some unpleasant attention from the DIs, but that was all part of the test. Obviously, I passed.

I was the first squad leader all through boot-camp. when someone in your squad screws up.....the squad gets punished and I would get punished again. you do not want your name popping up very often.

My goal in bootcamp was just to survive (but bootcamp was way different back in 1972 than it is today). If the DI's never knew my name, that was fine by me. Being short, I was always in the short end of the platoon which was where I wanted to be anyways (not up front). As a result of this tactic, I graduated bootcamp a lowly E1 private and was content with that (nothing ventured, nothing gained).

My niece went to bootcamp with the goal of being platoon guide and honorman. Obviously, standing out was no obstacle for her. She was fired as guide 3 times and rotated between guide and 4th squad leader. Did not graduate honorman but because she held leadership positions, the 4th battalion commander promoted her meritoriously to E2 private first class. She also stood out at MOS school as the class leader and honor graduate. As a result of that tactic, she graduated meritorious E3 Lance Corporal (two pay grades ahead of her bootcamp peers and a LCpl with only 6 months time in service).

Lesson. The Marine Corps recognizes, and rewards, sustained superior performance. Remain in the middle of the pack if you want. It's safer there, but you have little to gain. Take the risk of standing out, and the rewards are potentially higher. But, there are no guarantees. It's like investing, more you invest, higher your potential earnings - but no guarantees.

Good luck with your journey.

when I went into the Corps I didn't have any intention of "standing out", I did what I was told, to the best of my ability, I got screamed at a few times, I was in the upper class at the rifle range because I listened to my PMI and Marksmanship instructor, after it was all said and done I made maritorious PFC (E-2) out of boot.
    just do what you're told to the best of your ability and let everything else fall into place.
    remember they are there to make you a Marine and to give you a foundation to survive in combat, that's the most important thing.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you very much for all of your responses. By no means do I think of myself as "invincible" and am currently training hard to get ready for boot camp.

Thanks again for all of your words, and I will keep them in mind during my time at MCRDSD.

Why not stand out, those who dont stand out rarely get noticed. I wouldnt intend on going there to stand out but YMMV.

Credits
    Savings
    What does YMMV stand for?

Your mileage may vary -- or your experience may turn out to be different/experiences tend to differ

Mike

Credits
    Savings
    Gotcha. Thanks for all your responses to my posts Seargent Mike

Thread Information