Want to Join but have question
Create Post

Want to Join but have question

So I want to join the marines but my question is. What are the requirements for joining the marines. I know the pushups pull ups. ETC. However what about like mental requirements and school and such.
    Also what should I know before I go and talk to a recruiter? Also how do I start the process to join the marines and what is that like?
    And what if I am not strong enough to do the ohysical components of the marines how would I get that strong and be able to join???

Similar Threads:

You really should have some baseline physical ability before you join. If you are right on the cusp of the minimums and you fall short in boot camp, they will send you to a physical conditioning platoon. That said, I can't stress enough how much you don't want to be doing the minimums -- your life will be absolutely miserable. Also, forget the stupid "Initial Strength Test" they talk about... You should be doing WELL on the full Physical Fitness Test before you go to boot camp. Your recruiter should be able to help you get in shape, often they run a weekly physical conditioning session, which will give you something to build on.

As far as intelligence, there is an entrance exam known as the ASVAB. You should try to do as well as possible. Your recruiter can give you a shorter version to assess where you are, and help you prepare, if need be, for the real exam. You need to have graduated high school (or be on track to graduate high school) OR have a GED with 15 or more college credits.

As far as what you need to know before talking to a recruiter, just understand they are approaching this from a "salesman" perspective. Your first meeting they shouldn't expect you to sign anything, except maybe a release to run a background check and such if they determine you really are interested.

Contact a recruiter, go from there.

Mike

I am a little more than at baseline strength. I am obviously not as strong as i am supposed to but I am definitely not week.
    What are the weight requirements for me?? I am 5 foot 9 and weigh about 120 pounds!!!
    I know I am not in the weight limits but how much more do I need to gain and obviously in muscle too???
    And would me having ADHD make me not able to join the marines? Also if I was forced to go to a therapist by my parents? I am done with therapy but the only reason I needed to go to it was because of my past!!!
    I was abused as a kid. But anyways would any of that exempt me from the marines????

You need to get stronger before you join. Your recruiter, again, should be able to help/advise you. If you have the money, you may also want to meet with a real personal trainer a couple times. The reason I suggest talking your recruiter first is sometimes they have resources for potential recruits to get in shape. My recruiter, for example, actually was a personal trainer.

As far as the ADHD and therapy, it depends. You cannot be on any medications when you join the military. The severity of the ADHD and nature of the therapy will factor in. I will say you wouldn't be the first kid with either of those issues to be in the Marine Corps.

128 lbs is the minimum weight for males at your height. I'd anticipate you can make weight pretty easily if you actually get yourself into good shape.

Mike

So I ended up talking to a recruiter and got some news. As of right now I am needing my judge to sign for me to join at 17 and when that happens I go to MEPS. My recruiter says I have a chance at getting DQ'd due to my eyesight and my therapy due to family issues. What are the chances of me getting a medical waiver for

1. ADHD
    2. Eyesight
    3. Therapy
    4. Surgeries and removed pins on both arms(Pins were removed)
    5. Used to take meds for ADHD

My guess is your chances are zero but never hurts to try. Have seen waivers approved in the past that I thought never had a chance in hell. Realize, most applicants never need one waiver let alone multiple ones like you will. Recruiters don't want to spend their time working on waivers unless they absolutely have to.

Good luck.

Depends on your individual issues and if your recruiter is willing to work at them. If you, and he, are willing to put in the effort that is the only way you have a chance. You may or may not get a waiver, but if you don't put forth the effort you definitely won't.

Mike

What are the chances of me getting a waiver? Also what are the chances of me getting the waiver approved?

There's no way any of us could even begin to know. Talk to a recruiter.

Mike

You need to capitalize the word Marines! Show some respect....

ORDO AD CHAO

Save yourself and myself some trouble don't join, just do some stolen valor type stuff and pretend like you rate stuff so at least I can enjoy people calling you out on YouTube. It seems like that would be a better waste of your time than to go though all the rigor of wasting your recruiters time to not be able to join or doing some dumb **** like chugging bleach at boot camp and blaming your Drill Instructors for being too hard on you.

Thread Information