Attending online college while enlisted w/ an 13XX Contract?
Create Post

Attending online college while enlisted w/ an 13XX Contract?

Hi Everyone, I'm John and I've thinking about trying to join the Marines.

I work with heavy equipment and want to continue with this career field in the future so would like to enlist with a 13XX contract hopefully to become a 1345 (Heavy Equipment Operator).

My recruiter has been awesome and very helpful with information but wanted to get your opinions!

I'm currently in the first semester of college and still want to finish my bachelor's degree so do you think it is (reasonably) possible to attend online college (6-9 credits a semester, i.e. 2-3 classes) while enlisted as a 13XX?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you, John

Similar Threads:

Short answer is it depends. Just curious, why do you want to do HE? Nothing wrong with it, but it seems furthering your intellectual career is a priority , so why not do a more "white collar" MOS?

Mike

I love what I do and want to continue that in the Marines. Getting my degree so I can run my own business

It's possible to attend online courses but, not guaranteed. No civilian off-duty education will be guaranteed to you. Enrolling will be up to you. Tuition assistance may-or-may not be available. Sometimes, it's available one semester but not the next (education funds run out). Meaning, you must be willing and able to pay for your classes, lab fees, textbooks, etc on your own. I wasn't a Combat Engineer but was assigned to the 1st Combat Engineer Battalion, 1st Marine Division, and also was an Inspector-Instructor with a reserve Combat Engineer Company. Combat Engineers get attached to infantry units when they deploy. Construction engineers build defensive positions, bridges, do demolitions etc. Heavy equipment operators grade roads, expeditionary air fields, etc. There is no work schedule when deployed meaning, you may-or-may not find time (or a place) to get online and complete course work. When it comes to off-duty education, there are a lot of variables, but it basically boils down to your work schedule, and finding the time to get done what you need to get done. Some commands are more pro-education than others. Some just pay it lip-service but could care less. And some will even put roadblocks in your way making it more difficult than it needs to be - nothing is guaranteed.

Good luck.

Thread Information