Computer Science in the Marines
Create Post

Computer Science in the Marines

Hi all,

I'm busy looking into enlisting, and was wondering what jobs are available for a person interested computer science (and possibly getting a degree).

Would Cyberspace Operations (17) be a good field, or would communications (06) be a better fit?

I like things like:
    Linux,
    Software (game) Development,
    Coding (C++, C#, HTML, JS),
    Building Custom PC's (and overclocking them),
    and all things tech.

Thanks!

Similar Threads:

The second question would be: What are the requirements for joining the cyber branch after coming out of basic training?

I hate to break it to you man but I don't think there are many enlisted MOS's in the Marine Corps that will involve coding. I think Tennessee Top knows a bit more about the techy MOS's, and he'll be along soon I'm sure.

As far as comm, expect to know stuff along the lines of that which a HAM radio operator would, but spend potentially a lot of time in the field. Our ROs were essentially another infantryman with additional responsibilities with respect to comm.

Not sure about cyberspace operations, but may be more what you are looking for.

Mike

You need to go sit down with a recruiter NOW (there are none here on this page). Can't answer all your questions, but I can tell you our commandant has made cyber warfare one of his top priorities, to the point, he is considering moving selected Marines from certain MOS's into cyber MOS's meaning, they need more bodies now as well as in the future. To slow down the poaching of cyber Marines by civilian and defense industries, the commandant has authorized these reenlistment bonuses:

0689 Cyber security technician - $56,000.00

0651 Cyber network operator - $30,750.00

0681 Information security technician - $25,500.00

Good luck, and don't waste any time.

FYI: Marines don't go to basic training, they go to bootcamp.

Thanks for the replies, crazymjb and Tennessee Top. I've already met with a recruiter to discuss my education, and will be doing a follow-up meeting to possibly start the enlistment process.

What is the difference (if any) in the 06xx cyber security fields and the 17xx cyberspace fields?

I hope this question isn't to vague.

From googling around it sounds like the cyberspace field has more to do with network defense and offense and keeping networks operational whereas cyber security has more to do with guarding information, etc.

MARADMIN on the cyberspace field: http://www.marines.mil/News/Messages...-field-occfld/

Rest assured the military will lose all the information you are trying to guard, so it may be more satisfying to be in a cyberspace field.

Mike

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I have a brother-in-law who started in the Army as a network administrator and took every school the Army would let him go to. After eight years, he got out and has been working in cyber security since. He made a bundle. He's been in the civilian world for a while now and has stopped working for corporations and now just does part-time consulting. He still makes a bundle.

Thread Information