Pros and Cons of being an 0311 in the Marines
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Pros and Cons of being an 0311 in the Marines

I am 15 years old (yeah little young but f**k it who cares) and I want to be an 0311 in the Marines but I am what people consider a f**k up. I wanna join the Marines to serve my country and show everyone who never had faith of me what I can accomplish and that I am more than a screw up. But im terrified not knowing what to expect or what the pros and cons are. Please tell me.

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blakekingston03 View Post
    I am 15 years old (yeah little young but f**k it who cares) and I want to be an 0311 in the Marines but I am what people consider a f**k up. I wanna join the Marines to serve my country and show everyone who never had faith of me what I can accomplish and that I am more than a screw up. But im terrified not knowing what to expect or what the pros and cons are. Please tell me.
    Well, first, you can stop the swearing. No wonder people consider you a screwup. Yeah, Marines cuss and swear a lot, but we're also adults and can do things kids can't. That's life, get used to it now.

Second, you have plenty of time to get prepared and square your attitude away before you can go in. Research the Corps. Google what you want to know and Google more as you learn about more things. There is a ton of info out there on the Corps; history, boot camp, ranks, general orders, all sorts of stuff.

Go to the library and check out books on Marine Corps history. Yes, you'll have to read to be a Marine. The Corps has the Commandant's Reading List and you will be expected to read each book on the list as you advance in rank (each rank has its own list). Even Poolees (enlistees waiting to go to boot camp) have a reading list. The Corps is big on general education and professional military education.

Start working out. Nothing fancy required. Pullups, crunches, pushups, running. If you have weights available, you can use those too. Lift for strength, not bulk. Work on swimming.

Stay out of trouble. No drugs. Zero drugs (means marijuana too). No alcohol either. No tattoos. Get your high school diploma. The Corps will not take you with just a GED (unless you also have some college as well). So might as well just get the HS diploma. Oh, and don't get anyone pregnant.

When you turn 17, you can go talk to a recruiter who will give you additional information and may even let you join the Poolees during their periodic group workouts until you can officially enlist.

But know this: Marine infantry is a highly sought after MOS. It's tough to get a slot. If you show up at the recruiters in decent shape, no criminal record, on track for HS graduation, no tats, no drug issues, positive attitude, and some knowledge about the Marine Corps, he/she is much more likely to help you get that infantry slot. Also, unless you are going in a reserve unit, you can't enlist for 0311, only the MOS group 03xx. Exact infantry MOSs are not assigned until you are partway through School of Infantry.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks

One thing for certain.....you will regret going to boot-camp, with your attitude.

Billy; I don't think that he will regret going/traveling to boot camp, but once he gets there, he'll wish he had never heard of the Marine Corps. As you know, the Corps loves people that think they're tough. So come on in tough guy; we'll leave the lights on for you.

ORDO AD CHAO

He's a 15 year old kid. I bet I can find posts from me on this site from when I was his age (I'm 28 now).

Here's the deal dude. Great goal. I knew I wanted to be a Marine since I heard what the Marine Corps was.

Here's my advice (which echos some of the great advice posted by those before you):
    1. Don't get in legal trouble
    2. Don't get into drugs
    3. Don't get tattoos, plenty of time for that later
    4. Graduate high school, and DO WELL in high school

Marines are smart. Contrary to what people will tell you, infantrymen are smart as well. From just my infantry company alone Marines are now in the following career fields: 4-5 lawyers, a guy managing a billion dollar hedge-fund, a handful of engineers, some doctors, and a bunch of successful tradesmen, firefighters, and cops. Infantry Marines aren't stupid, as much as the other parts of the Marine Corps like to rip on us. You need to understand the technical aspect of how your weapons work. You need to understand the logistics involved in executing a mission. You need to understand maneuvering relative to an enemy. So while it's tempting to use your goal of joining the Marine Corps to blow off highschool, there is a good chance you go to college after you get out, and a guarantee that you need to not be stupid to do your job as an infantryman.

If your school has JROTC, get involved in that. If they don't ask your parents permission to go to the weekly workout sessions with your local recruiters. While it may be "against policy" for recruiter to work with those under 17, it was my experience that if parents were on-board any prospective Marine was always welcome.

Learn what the Marine Corps is about. Again, when you are an infantryman (or a Marine at all) the mission is everything. Every past war, conflict, combat, etc can be learned from. Some books I'd recommend: 1. Helmet for a Pillow, 2. With the Old Breed on Pelielu and Okinawa, 3. Generation Kill, 4. One Bullet away.

Also: This is worth an hour and a half of your time. A littttttle dated, but an absolutely amazing documentary nonetheless: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPg2Kf-jYeA Watch it, and don't post again here until you have.

Mike

Of course the Corps has changed over the years. In my time you didn't need a High School Diploma, tattoo's were fine, minor criminal record or being on probation was not a problem. All the Corps expected and demanded, was your willingness to fight and die for the Corps and your Country.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks guys

Thread Information