A wannabe that's slightly discouraged.
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question A wannabe that's slightly discouraged.

Hello everyone, my name is Michael before I start I want clarify that NOTHING any branch of the U.S Military has done has ever discouraged me, these reasons are all brought on by my self.

I am a 17 year old high school graduate from Orlando Florida. Since the second grade I've always been deeply fond of every branch of military, the Marines the most I still have books I've bought (had my mother buy me) back in my elementary school days. I was raised well I played varsity level in high school all 4 years for Basketball, Football, Track and Cross country and even had the chance to play basketball in college, I took that chance but dropped out during the Christmas break this year due to personal reasons.

On to the discouraging details, A month ago to this day it was a late night I was working construction and due to a freak accident and stupidity (on my behalf) I fell 20 feet out of the air and shattered my left wrist (dominate) having multiple breakages now the doctor, who has countless of high reviews and years of experience and even a physical therapist said that as long as after I heal and I hit physical therapy hard I could recover 60% range of motion or by gods grace even more (which the doctor said is good and normal for a lot of people to be born with) I just would like to know would that hinder me in any type of way and make my chances of ever becoming a Marine pointless?

If I was to join I'd only be going for an 03- type of MOS 0311 preferred.

Another thing that I'm hoping wouldn't hinder me is the fact that my vision isn't the best but also is by far from the worse. For example, signs from far away I wouldn't be able to see words on them and at the distance in the boot camp videos I've seen that's pretty normal right? I was a spoiled child (because I earned it) and whenever I was done with school activities or such I'd sit in front of a screen and play video games but what I'm trying to say is I know every Marine is a riflemen would most people need better vision without glasses to pass the firing range test? Or does it just matter how well you can shoot?

Lastly I never learned how to swim, but I'm not worried about that as I could pay for classes what I'd like to know is a basic level in swimming enough?

Thank you for those who took their time to read this and thank you for your service and for inspiring me. Your answers are my only hope of feeling I'd have a chance to make it and the deciding factor for me to enlist in 2019-2020 when I recover.

Similar Threads:

It may require a waiver but if you get 60% of the motion in your wrist back I'd think you would be all right. Make sure you stick to the physical therapy and do what your doctor tells you. As a varsity athlete I imagine you are familiar with the importance of proper recovery.

Mike

Credits
    Savings
    I see thanks for clarifying the most important part.

As far as your vision plenty of Marines wear glasses. If you think you may need glasses, may as well get an eye exam now. Either way, the military will take care of you in that department.

The Marine Corps will teach you to swim well enough... if you want to better prepare in the meantime go take some adult lessons at the YMCA. Marine Corps swimming is less about finesse and more about drown-proofing. How the hell did you grow up in FL and not learn how to swim?

Mike

Credits
    Savings
    Yeah I need glasses but not badly, I think I'll get them and have them just in case if I struggle at during the shooting part.

Also I don't even know LOL I almost drowned as a young child and I used to just stay in the area I could stand up in afterwards but I realized the marines is an amphibious fighting force so gonna have to learn eventually.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS20 View Post
    Yeah I need glasses but not badly, I think I'll get them and have them just in case if I struggle at during the shooting part.

Also I don't even know LOL I almost drowned as a young child and I used to just stay in the area I could stand up in afterwards but I realized the marines is an amphibious fighting force so gonna have to learn eventually.
    If you need glasses now, get them. They will issue you glasses in boot camp. They are heavy, black, and ugly as sin, hence the nickname: birth-control glasses (BCGs). If you need them to see properly, you will have to wear them. You will have no choice in the matter. However, the civilian glasses you brought, you can wear until the BCGs are issued (takes a week or two), after that its BCGs, period. After graduation, you can switch back to the civilian kind as long as the frames are conservative. Not needing glasses while in the Corps, I can't exactly describe "conservative," but I'm sure someone can. You will still have to maintain your issue BCGs and may prefer to wear them in the field as the Corps will replace them if they get broken. Civilian glasses they won't replace.

I was not a strong swimmer either, but I passed as a third class swimmer - the minimum. The swim curriculum has changed since I went through (1971), so I can't tell you what it consists of anymore. I would work on getting some swim skills though. I almost drowned as a kid too, but the swim instructors don't care how scared you are - you WILL swim.

The BCGs have not changed a lick since then, however. My #1 daughter still has to maintain hers for the Air Force.

Credits
    Savings
    ^

I looked them up they are quite big. I don’t need them badly in my opinion ill Justin get another vision test see what’s they say.

Also I’m not scared anymore I was as a kid I was in the 1st week of my lessons before i broke my arm and i enjoyed learning

thank you for the new information though, never once heard of bcgs.

Hate to break it to you Zulu, but I think they've gotten away from BCGs... new corps and all

Mike

Credits
    Savings
    What are they issuing now ,

seeing-eye dogs ?

sweet !

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Don't tell me the Corps has actually gotten something more modern than the Air Force? #1 daughter still gets issued BCGs by the AF.

Yeah I think they have a more "current" looking glasses design now.

https://www.npr.org/2012/01/27/14598...r-fresher-pair

Mike

Credits
    Savings
    Haha seeing eye dogs

You can go on youtube and see plenty of videos about bootcamp swim quals. Any recent videos you can see the glasses that are issued to recruits today. Biggest potential issue with your wrist is pull-ups/push ups/bends-n-thrusts/climbing a rope/obstacle course, firing a M16, etc. If you can successfully do all those then you have no worries. Lifting a 30 lbs ammo can above your head as many times as possible under a time limit is part of the Combat Fitness Test (CFT). As an 0311, both wrists will be required to lift and carry full ammo cans, extra mortar rounds, etc, for miles routinely. That's the kind of constant stress your wrist will have to endure as part of your occupation. Something your doc and therapist may-or-may not be aware of.

Good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    ^ I never even thought or looked at it that way but yeah the doctor said it could take 6 months or up to a year in a half I get the cast off in may but I’m giving it two to see where I’m at hopefully I’ll be able.

Everybody has to pass the Physical Fitness Test (PFT) and Combat Fitness Test (CFT) annually - even after bootcamp. But, grunts have to carry heavy objects with both hands routinely as part of their jobs. Eventhough you have your heart set on being an 0311, a smarter choice may be a job that does not require lifting/carrying as much weight thereby putting less stress on that wrist, and increasing your chances of continued service (vice a medical discharge). Something to consider, and talk over with your recruiter (there are lots of jobs that don't require lifting/carrying anything).

Thread Information