medical question/lying to recruiter
Create Post

medical question/lying to recruiter

So I have a question. When I was in high school I got therapy for depression and some other stuff. I talked to a recruiter a few days ago and he asked if I had ever received therapy. It was just a few questions, I haven't signed on for anything yet. He asked if I have ever received therapy or have ever been suicidal (I may have gone through a rough patch in high school but I never attempted suicide, and I honestly don't remember what I told my therapist). At the time I said "NO" because I didn't want to say anything that might disqualify me. Im no psycho, and I have wanted to be a Marine since I was 14 y/o. I've heard that medical records are harder to get a hold of than criminal record, so should I lie about seeing a therapist?

Similar Threads:

You should never lie about anything. Be honest with your recruiter, be honest with the Marine Corps.

As a factual matter it is typically true that nobody would ever know about you having gone to therapy. That doesn't mean they couldn't or wouldn't find out about it.

Tons of kids go to therapy. If that's all it was, don't worry about it.

Mike

Okay, If I tell them I went to therapy, would they find out where I went and why I was receiving therapy?

They may or may not request records. The recruiter should be able to provide you with a better answer. It may be as simply as you self-reporting on the MEPS paperwork, or it may be more complicated than that.

Mike

Okay thanks for the help.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Another thing. Lets say you lied your way through and get through boot camp. Lets say your MOS now, or one you'd like to reenlist for later, requires a top secret security clearance. You will sign waivers to allow access to all sorts of records. Plus the background investigators talk to people who know you and they will ask them very personal questions about you - and you will have signed waivers for them to answer without fear of lawsuits. If the investigators find out you lied on your background investigations materials as well as to your recruiters, they will be back to ask for answers from you. Along with a very probable size 12 in the butt on your way out the door for fraudulent enlistment, not to mention for lying on the background materials.

After the recent events involving mentally ill people getting jobs with TS clearances and then releasing classified information to the media, you can bet the background investigators are looking hard for that stuff.

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Good point. And no one ever thinks he or she will be caught and prosecuted, perhaps, for fraudulent enlistment until they are actually found out.....no one ever thinks THEY will be the one.

So just avoid all that nonsense of looking over your shoulder every time someone calls you into the office about something, thinking to yourself oh no, is this IT, did they discover something??

Thread Information