lateral mos transfer with intel
Create Post

lateral mos transfer with intel

Hey guys, I'm enlisting in the Marine Corps and I'd like to get an intel contract. I talked with my recruiter and he said there'd be one opening in May.

Now, I also have a strong interest in infantry and spec ops, but my concern with signing up for infantry and recon (assuming it's still available from the last time I checked with my recruiter) is that:

1) there aren't a lot of combat deployments from what I heard so I'm afraid I'd just spend most of my time doing nothing. It just seems like a waste of productivity to me when I can learn to do something more useful for the Corps and learn some hard skills in the process. (Not that the infantry doesn't contribute to the Corps, because they absolutely do.)

2) I am absolutely sure I have what it takes to join Recon (or any SOF for that matter. You name it and I'll work my ass off for it.), but I don't believe I'm physically prepared right now to handle the rigors of indoc and brc (my pft score is about 243 and growing every day, but not fast enough to get me in spec ops shape within the next 3 months).

Which brings me to my next point...

Assuming I'm qualified and I luckily get the intel job, would I realistically have a shot down the line to volunteer for MARSOC?

If I'm not mistaken, someone has to sign off on the transfer, so how likely is it to be let go from "conventional" intel into SOCS?

If not, is it possible to reenlist as MARSOC or Recon after one's contract is up?

Of course, right now I'm just focused on getting prepared for boot camp and possibly intel work, but I'd also like to take a shot at SOF down the road when I'm more experienced and have more time to prepare, so any information here would help.

Similar Threads:

By the way, I forgot to add this but if I want to join SOF, would I be better off enlisting as a 03xx first and then volunteer for SOF? Or is it realistically possible for me to get the chance to volunteer for SOF as a, well, POG?

One basically has to try out for both Recon and MARSOC in the fleet (if you don't have a Recon contract going to bootcamp). Only grunts can try out for Recon. Any MOS can try out for MARSOC. Don't think anybody here can tell you, with any sense of certainty, if you pass pass the tryouts, you're guaranteed your command will release you and let you go any further (but I assume they would). Don't know if it's written anywhere that if one passes, and is accepted, one will continue through the training pipeline.

If you haven't already, visit MARSOC's homepage at www.marsoc.com for more info.

Good luck.

You dont have to be an operator to be part of marsoc you can be part of the support to marsoc and you get attached to a team. But you wont be supporting MARSOC as a boot, you will probably have to wait until you are at least a Cpl maybe Sgt before you can be considered to support them.

Also if you do go intel, you cannot go infantry. If you have a job with a security clearance you are not able to lat move into a job that is lower.. Not that Infantry is any less than Intel but the cost to the government to make an 0311 vs an 02xx is exponential your clearance alone costs almost 50K.

^^^good point. Wannabes are not aware of the financial investment into some MOS's/individuals so naturally, they cannot consider that impact on their potential situation.

When recruiters talk to wannabes/poolees about possible lateral moves down the line (to get out of an MOS they don't want), they fail to mention any financial or time in grade/time on station requirements that may exist so the Government can recoup some of its investment.

Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post
    You dont have to be an operator to be part of marsoc you can be part of the support to marsoc and you get attached to a team. But you wont be supporting MARSOC as a boot, you will probably have to wait until you are at least a Cpl maybe Sgt before you can be considered to support them.

Also if you do go intel, you cannot go infantry. If you have a job with a security clearance you are not able to lat move into a job that is lower.. Not that Infantry is any less than Intel but the cost to the government to make an 0311 vs an 02xx is exponential your clearance alone costs almost 50K.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    ^^^good point. Wannabes are not aware of the financial investment into some MOS's/individuals so naturally, they cannot consider that impact on their potential situation.

When recruiters talk to wannabes/poolees about possible lateral moves down the line (to get out of an MOS they don't want), they fail to mention any financial or time in grade/time on station requirements that may exist so the Government can recoup some of its investment.
    Thanks for the answers guys. My recruiters basically told me what you guys had said, that intel is an expensive investment and that guys stay in that field for years at a time. So I guess it wouldn't be very bright to risk a a government asset of that type in combat. Kind of like asking your HR guy to gear up and go on a patrol lol.

Nonetheless MARSOC isn't a deal breaker for me and I'd be happy to be assigned to work alongside them. However, I would love to have the chance to become an operator as well, but that's not my focus at the moment, I'm just planning ahead so I can hopefully have the opportunity to volunteer one day.

My understanding is CSOs draw from all MOS fields. You need a clearance for the high speed stuff anyway. Also, we had an intel guy who patrolled with us all the time and then we also had the counter intel guy who was all secret squirrel and did whatever he wanted. He was a prior recon guy if that matters to you.

On the plus side if you want to go from intel to CSO you'll probably have more time to PT and train than a grunt. Beinf comfortable in the water is what I hear is the biggest thing. Pools are known as the great equalizer.

Mike

Hopefully you have not made your choice yet. If you are still looking at intel you will go into the DD contract that can land you in either the 0231, 0261,2621,2631 and some other 26xx fields. What you land in is based upon the needs of the USMC as you are going through boot. I can tell you all of the mentioned about can support marsoc and you are in the middle of it. I know this because I spent the 5 years supporting MARSOC. What few will tell you is the Intel fields are most transferable in the private sector and the fields promote well for the most part. If you are looking to be a pipe hitter then i suggest looking at infantry or Recon but i can tell you nothing is more rewarding than giving the shooters the right info and that info baring fruit and leading to their safe return or removal of someone off the battlefield.

^^^true, IF that's what one ends up doing. There are also those intel Marines who spend their days inside the battalion SCIF (building with no windows) working on security clearance forms, fingerprint cards, etc. (clerical duties that never get them outside, let alone supporting grunts/special operators). It's all based on the needs of the USMC like you say.

You are right top that's a bit of the dark side of the field but early on if you decide you want to do more and be in the thick of it there is a lot of opportunities available after a Marines first enlistment.

funny thing that I did not address in my initial post is this kid isnt even a Marine yet. Now he/she will obviously pass boot camp because boot camp doesnt weed out the weak anymore but to assume you are going to be around long enough to actually lat move and do all this high speed stuff is kind of funny. You better be doing things and not have an aversion to work. You say you dont have an aversion now, but once you hit fleet life a lot of things change with people and the juniors become lazy then you have your seniors riding your ass because you dont want to work and I have gunny and top on my ass because you are a **** bird who doesnt want to work.

Munky, if you look at the direction society is taking what do you expect lol. now a days people just research on the internet and think they got it all figured out. whats interesting is he still needs to pass whatever school he goes to. to be honest I had no idea what was getting into and really I contribute most of my experience and opportunity to be in the right place at the right time.

Thread Information