Army ditches Grenade throwing requirement...
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Army ditches Grenade throwing requirement...

US Army Ditches Grenade Throwing Requirement Because Too Many Recruits Can’t Throw Far Enough

On Friday, the Army revealed that it is nixing the grenade throwing requirement, where recruits had to show that they could hurl the explosive a minimum of 25 meters, because “a large number of trainees” can’t meet the distance, even lacking the physical ability “to throw a hand grenade 20 to 25 to 30 meters.”

Notice of the change was released on Military.com, in a piece that discussed the overall redesign of the Basic Combat Training (BCT) all new recruits are required to complete.

According to Maj. Gen. Malcolm Frost, the commanding general of the US Army Center of Initial Military Training, “What we have found is it is taking far, far too much time.

It’s taking three to four times as much time… just to qualify folks on the hand grenade course than we had designates, so what is happening it is it taking away from other aspects of training.”

“We are finding that there are a large number of trainees that come in that quite frankly just physically don’t have the capacity to throw a hand grenade 20 to 25 to 30 meters,” Frost stated.

“In 10 weeks, we are on a 48-hour period; you are just not going to be able to teach someone how to throw if they haven’t grown up throwing.”

Grenade-related training isn’t being eliminated from BCT, so recruits will receive the same amount of training as they did previously.

“Just because we took it off as a graduation requirement does not mean they won’t be conducting hand grenade… training,” Frost stated.

“They are going to learn all of the technical aspects of the hand grenade, and they are going to learn tactical employment and they will throw a live hand grenade.”

The blast radius of a grenade, on average, is 15 meters, with a 25-meter throw being considered a necessary distance.

Some have questioned whether the removal of the grenade requirement was an accommodation for female recruits, though the Army has denied those allegations, stating that it is an “incorrect premise” as Army BCT has had the hand grenade requirement for both genders “for several years,” adding in a statement, “This new approach allows the Army to recover valuable time and resources to focus on training on other critical skills.”

Similar Threads:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    When I was 16, I was throwing a Hardball 385’ in the Air when I requisitioned a chit load of those Baseball gernades from SVN Rangers,I was in The Major Leagues and We won All our games in ‘68...I had two nicknames across the Pond,and one of Em was FRAGs !

I think they should be taught to throw the grenade underhand. Afterwards, they could be on the girls' softball team.

Seriously, this training could be the difference between life or death. Vido games just are not doing it.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yessir Brother seems as though all these College Boys whom are lite in the Loafers sure are doing a F**Ked uP J O B with the Youth of America it’s like they Wanna loose too the Enemy

Other countries are going to look at this and think what a bunch of wimps. If this type of thinking goes on where will our country be in another decade or two? Changes like this make the U. S. military seem ineffective, hope and pray our Marine Corps does not adopt such a ludicrous rule.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Amen

What do they expect. Half of them are females, open gays, and transgenders. Not exactly the athletic stud type of the past.

There was an article last month about how the Army was looking to make training harder due to a lack of discipline/sense of responsibility with younger troops. Looks to me like they can't decide what the hell they want to do.

Would pay money to know what Mad Dog Mattis thinks about this move.

well, we (the US) isn't gonna need ANY flesh and blood soldiers, sailors, Marines or airmen in the next 10 years, guys, after, we'll all be at peace with the world, hold hands and sing koombayah.... all the fighting will be done by robots, and the wimpy kids will run them (unknowingly) while playing their video games.... don't cha know nothin????.......

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I just don’t get it Top the Enemies of America are getting Stronger and this Horsechit is happening too our Military id start em off in their cribs filled w/Baseballs breaking windows in my house lol

I just don't understand your post William, when we were in the Nam someone had pulled the plug and all the electronics were useless. We had to do it all by hand, the old-fashioned way, one burst at a time.

Russ, Nam was so easy..........Kill or be Killed.....

Ain't that the truth, and we're still here brother. You and I are proof that we're hard to kill.

Credits
    Savings

GO ahead,
    get that image out of your mind-

I Dast you

Credits
    Savings

Thread Information