when should I go to college? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Dave, I have already recommended the Guidebook for Marines to her and provided the link to order the current edition.

She is too young to contact a recruiter a this time. She also does not want any recruiting materials being mailed to her house because her parents will see them before she has the opportunity to discuss her intentions with them.

Ah, ok, I didn't see those previous comments. Thanks

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    As far as taking people with me to meet my recruiter the first time, I had thought about the idea of taking a Marine with me before and that was why I was not sure if I should take anyone with me. Another reason I had wondered, was because I have yet to meet a Marine in person and that makes it harder to have a Marine come with me. However I do think that would be preferable because as you said Rollie, they will have been through it already and hopefully they would let me take the front seat more than my parents would. Another reason I was thinking about bringing someone was because, again you said Rollie, I know that I am less educated than someone who has been through it, as far as what is normal. While I would like to say that I would not be nervous about meeting with the recruiter, odds are I will be and how I handle being nervous largely depends on the situation. I like the idea of someone being there, it's just a matter of finding the right person.

Christopher, it was very fortunate that both your parents supported you like that. Even the best situation for me will not go like that, I'm sure. I think your right about parents worrying more about their daughters, I have seen it all my life with the difference between me and my brother. Honestly it annoys me a lot, my brother may be older but, he is definitely the one they need to worry about more. I mean he wouldn't have applied to colleges this year if they hadn't reminded him 10 times and practically wrote his essay questions for him. I honestly find it crazy how he relies on them so much and isn't concerned about being on his own next year. I hope that I can prove to them that I am capable of making smart decisions on my own by that point.

Dave, the information Rollie is talking about was in a different thread so you may not have read it.

Robin will be glad to go with you. Hope you two are still communicating.

Credits
    Savings
    Rollie, we still do sometimes. I would love to talk more but she is pretty busy and my school work load has picked up a lot since I got back from Winter break. Unfortunately that cuts down on the time I have for other things like messaging with you and Robin. If she would still be willing to when the time comes, I would love for her to come with me. I definitely feel like I would be more at ease if I had someone I knew and trusted with me.

Just my opinion, but this entire conversation should not even be taking place.

1. Enjoy your time as a person while still in school and only 15.

2. You should discuss your desires with your parents, regardless if they look at them positively or negatively.

3. Many things will change regarding the Marine Corps Mission, Manpower and
    Recruiting within the next three years, many things can change...

Either way, I trust that the Marines communicating here and in private keep this strictly Professional.

The Marines don't need any negativity.

Again, just my opinion.

Nuff said.

Credits
    Savings
    Mike, I appreciate your opinion however, can I ask why you think that we should not be having this conversation? I just don't understand why there would be a problem with it. Also, I know that many things will change between now and when I turn 18. As things change I will take them into consideration while I decide if I want to try to become a Marine. I am enjoying high school and I while I may only be 15 I do like to plan ahead, "the future belongs to those who prepare for it today". You should know that I fully intent to talk to my parents somewhat soon. It may not be tomorrow, or this week but, I will talk to them. I am just waiting until I feel like I know enough to answer like 80% of their questions and have enough information to help comfort most of their concerns. All the Marines I have talked to in my time on Leatherneck have been very helpful, professional and kind. They have all given me very well thought out and insightful answers to all of my questions.

I think that while you have asked good questions and we've all been helpful etc, it would be better, advisable, good if you let your parents know now that you are ON this website asking questions and batting things around concerning the Marine Corps.

That's something you could do right now, in order to make everyone feel a little more comfortable. I think anyone, young or old, should be talking about what they want to do later and asking advice, yet realizing that all advice given to you is personal opinion, right or wrong or neither-----just one person's opinion, to be considered or not----but I think what Mike is also getting at is the level of comfort here, if we knew that your parents know that you are on here.

Is this something you could tell them now? Not that you are heading out the door to go to boot camp asap, or this or that, but merely that you are ON here asking legitimate questions?

It would raise the comfort level immeasurably.

Credits
    Savings
    Sorry, I hadn't realized that it was making people uncomfortable that I hadn't talked to my parents yet. I just kinda assumed that you guys talked with people, who hadn't talked to their parents yet, all the time. It was not at all my intention to put you all in an awkward position.

It's your age. We do talk with people all the time who haven't said a word to their parents yet, but so far theyve all been somewhat older than you. Not light years older, but older. It has absolutely nothing to do with you personnally.

TL : DR if it wasn't mentioned you don't rate tuition assistance until 2 years in the fleet. There are ways you can get that waivered but only if you are a decent Marine and your command likes you. Other than that I would start college as soon as possible because it gets put on the back burner a lot.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you MunkyVsRobot, I hadn't heard that before. I will definitely keep that in mind!

Thread Information