Clep for credit?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member knagle's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Clep for credit?

Has anyone here had experience in taking the CLEP exams, in place of college classes? I won't be able to start classes until the summer, or fall. But the school will allow me to do CLEP exams to get the credits. Now, currently, I need 15 or more credits to qualify for the Marine Corps, as I have a GED. Would anybody know if this is a practical way of doing this? Any useful feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Similar Threads:

I will pass this on to Dave, who may be able to help you.

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I have no idea, Billy, except that I do remember CLEP from when I was in. But only a recruiter would know if that counts for or towards the required 15 college credits to go along with the GED in order to enlist. A very good question.

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Take a look at the other threads listed directly below your initial post. And DO speak with a recruiter about this as soon as you can.

When I was in if you had da' CLEP you were immediately disqualified at AFFEES.

Now Bloop; that's funny! Glad to see you back!

ORDO AD CHAO

Bloop.....your back, Brother. Good to see you.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Clep tests allowed me the short route on some classes.
    If you are taking them through a college or university you will pay (pass or fail). While on active duty they are free. If you do not pass you can try again in 6 months. Taking and passing them will save you on book and tuition money in the long run. Make sure you know the subject matter well.

"Completed One Semester of College.

A non-high school graduate (Tier 2) who completes a minimum of 15 semester/22 quarter hours of college level work, regardless of education grade level. "Successfully completed" means the individual earned college credits (course series 100 or better) of classroom instruction from an institution listed in the degree granting section of current AIPE.

On-Line college courses can be accepted only if concurrent with classroom instruction (same semester at same school) but cannot be a majority of the total credits earned.

Credits earned outside of concurrent classroom/on-line criteria (i.e. all semester courses on-line) are not acceptable.

Credit through AIPE non degree granting institutions, testing (i.e. CLEP), adult education, life experience, military training, or GED type programs are not applicable."

From Marine Corps Recruiting Command Order 1100.1 dated 9 Nov 2011. There could be a more recent order so check with a recruiter.

Thread Information