Savings

Rifle Range Score

I'm a saver...I'm sitting here looking at my:

U.S. MARINE CORPS
    RIFLE MARKSMANSHIP
    AND DATA BOOK
    (For US rifle 7.62- MM, M-14)

Date issued 12 Feb. 1966

I fired a 214- Sharpshooter This was in boot camp. When I was with 2/27 & 2/28 after I came back from Nam we could go to the range as much as we wanted to go. After a few months of 2 times a week I was putting in 500 meter slow fire groups that you could could cover with a baseball.

We fired 2,3,500 slow 2, 300 rapid, 10 rounds each.

Whats the qual now with the 16 or whatever it's called these days?

http://www.marines.mil/news/publicat...%203574.2K.pdf

There are 4 'tables". 1 is the traditional KD range

5 shots sitting kneeling standing in 15 mins and one rapid sitting @ 200
    1 rapid standing to prone and 5 slo fire sitting @300
    10 shots in 10 mins from the prone @ 500.

Table 2 is a basic "CQB" techniques at 25m with various drills and reloads.

Table 3 is advanced CQB with tactical movement etc etc.

Table 4 is table 3 in low light and/or under darkness with NODS and lazers.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    I saw, at least in my platoon, that some of the highest scoring shooters were the folks who had no firearms training or experience in the past, prior to boot camp, so they did not have to unlearn anything, they were taught everything by the PMIs and some of those scores were incredible, one buddy of mine got 237 out of 250, got a free subscription to Leatherneck as high shooter, etc

Remember those who went UNQ?
    They were punished even more severely than was normal
    I was sooooo happy I wasn't an unq. Those of us who qualified marched back to the barracks and got busy cleaning our M-14s and washing our shooting jackets. The DIs congratulated us and pretty much left us alone to clean. We were even allowed to quietly talk among ourselves. The Unqs had to low-crawl the 500 or 600 yards back. When they finally got there, it was mountain-climbers and bends-and-thrusts for a very long time in the pit.

Our DI's promised us whomever qualified expert would get to call home. Sounded outstanding to me so I busted my hump and got expert (M-14).

So, when we got to San Onofre (CamPen), the DI's had us carry our footlockers up to the top of Mount MutherFvcker and yell "here home, here home"...just like they promised. The rest of the platoon was sitting in formation at the bottom of the hill drinking water, smoking, and getting a good laugh at our expense. Oh, the memories. That's one promise our DI's didn't have to keep. I wonder if something like that could happen today or if that would be a breach of the oath the DI's take when they pick up their training platoon?

Credits
    Savings

Series high shooter...............

Tony, your 214 was out of 250, the max.
    The max number is all different now, like mostly everything else in the Corps

Was a Marine who shot a 330 out of a possible 350 last Fridays graduation at P.I. May 6th.

That is absolutely beautiful, Top. They were true to their word, if you took them literally. LOL. Great story.

Oh, today? They'd probably be court-martialed for irritating a recruit with malicious intent.
    I went thru boot not too long ago in this new, Boot Camp lite edition. 300 pfters were promised a call home. They all got it, plus the guide's dad was a gunny and worked 15 mins from the recruit area on pen. He had to call daddy.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Our DI's promised us whomever qualified expert would get to call home. Sounded outstanding to me so I busted my hump and got expert (M-14).

So, when we got to San Onofre (CamPen), the DI's had us carry our footlockers up to the top of Mount MutherFvcker and yell "here home, here home"...just like they promised. The rest of the platoon was sitting in formation at the bottom of the hill drinking water, smoking, and getting a good laugh at our expense. Oh, the memories. That's one promise our DI's didn't have to keep. I wonder if something like that could happen today or if that would be a breach of the oath the DI's take when they pick up their training platoon?
    They were meanies.

My DIs were true to their promises. If you aced the written exams, you got a call home (I aced both, got two calls). If you aced the practical exam, you got a call (I got call #3). If you scored over a certain score on the range, you got a call (I think a couple of guys got calls). If you aced the PFT, you got a call (this was the old five-event PFT before the current three event job - I think a couple of guys got calls). I think that was about it. Of course, they were only about five-minute calls max.

I think my parents had to sell one of my siblings to the Gypsies to pay the collect call fees back in those days.

Top - for what it's worth, I was at PI from 88 - 91 as a recruit company commander, and my company chief drill instructor made it know each training cycle, that anyone who went UNQ would have to call home and tell Mommy & Daddy that they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. True to form, after going UNQ twice on qual day, while the rest of the two series marched back to the barracks to clean their rifles, the UNQs all gathered on the 500 yard line and had to yell in unison "CALLING HOME! CALLING HOME!!! I'M A NON-SHOOTING MO-FO (or words to that effect) AND I'M NEVER GOING HOME!" He'd keep them out there for about 30 to 45 minutes shouting and doing IPT. It was a joy to watch - but, being a well trained recruit training officer, I watched from the snapping in sheds some 200 yards away.

Great stuff. Alas, I shot a Pizza Box at PI. 207 or 209 I think. And yes, like HST...I'm a hoarder and still have my data book someplace

I ALSO still have the tape with my name on it, platoon number, and recruit number, from the back of my 'chrome dome'.

Top THAT for hoarding!

(And yes I acquired a chrome dome, a real one, and it's on there lol)

Was anybody present when the shooting lines were changed from meters to yards?

That's a fairly long walk along B*tch Ridge to reach the base of Mt. Mutha. Humping a foot locker from the recruit squadbay would have left me with burned up gumby arms long before the summit for sure

i remember Sgt Resh and myself "competing" with head shots at 500 yrds... some fun! good way to hone your skills

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I saw, at least in my platoon, that some of the highest scoring shooters were the folks who had no firearms training or experience in the past, prior to boot camp, so they did not have to unlearn anything, they were taught everything by the PMIs and some of those scores were incredible, one buddy of mine got 237 out of 250, got a free subscription to Leatherneck as high shooter, etc

Remember those who went UNQ?
    They were punished even more severely than was normal
    I know this very well. Went unq in bootcamp and it wasn't pretty!
    Reported in at Lejuene and first thing they did was send my ass to the range. Shot expert 225 out of 250 with M16A1. Qualified marksman with the M1911.

I remember that my plt. won the range on average score.

We got back to the squad bay and we were hazed for it. I had a hard time understanding the incentive system in bootcamp.

If we lost an event - we got smoked. If we won an event - we got smoked.

That is very cool that you found your old data book though. I don't know that I was able to keep mine from boot, but I've kept some since. It will be fun to look back at in a few decades.

Also -- what's this about being able to go to the range any time you want?
    How did that work -- was there a SNCO on duty at all times and you could just show up on your off time and shoot? Is that how it went?

Credits
    Savings
    we shot at Edson. If I remember right we were allowed to blouse our boots after we shot for qualification.

My PMI was a l/cpl named Collie, it's a good thing I was a boot, I'll bet he took a lot of sh*t over that name, Lassie was a popular show in those days.

This new deal sounds like a real b*tch. It puts Marines to a lot of differing tests. I know the marines are up to it and I sure hope the revised 16 is equal to the Marines. We went to the 16 when I was about half way through Nam. It was a peice of everjamming, plastic, mattell, sh*t and everybody hated it. I've got a 14 now and I still love firing it, the feel, sound of the action, the smell of the oiled walnut. I just can't hit much at over 200 anymore.

Thread Information