Women in the infantry - Page 3
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks, Maddie. I was going to post something about being open to all MOSs, because of the surprises involved, as in my MOS when I went in, in those days we had very little opportunity to choose even the field, let alone the exact job. So it was handed to us, and we were very surprised that we loved our jobs tremendously. In my case it turned out to be the best job I ever had, present one included. So you just never know what this or that MOS has to offer you.

But if your mind is made up, go for it, by all means, and don't let anyone stop you.

Parents are frequently against these things, but you are living your life, not theirs. They already had the chance to go infantry. But there are numerous threads about parents' reaction to being told that a family member wants to do this or that. Mostly, they come around. Sometimes a recruiter will have a talk with them and that calms things down.

Remember that no parent welcomes this stuff of being in harm's way with open arms, as in HEY< my daughter will be in danger zones. How nice!!!!!!! No, they act like they will disown you, but they usually come around. Look at this section, prior threads, and you'll see plenty of discussion about parents not being thrilled.

With my parents I'm pretty sure for a while things will be tough and they will try the hardest to get me to change my mind. However, I think that eventually they will come around. Especially my dad, he will not like it but he has always been very adamant about only "guiding" how I live my life and that as long as I'm not a drug dealer or such, he will support me. So, basically it's my mom I'm worried about.

I know I should be open to all MOSs until I have a reason to scratch it off the list nut infantry is definitely where my heart is set as of now.

Credits
    Savings
    Well, good luck to you. And in the meantime, keep us posted right here as to news. These threads, like on any other site, fall to the wayside in no time at all, but use this same thread to keep us updated, please. We'd be interested to know how things are going and whether you end up doing what you want to do.

Credits
    Savings
    But long before that, you'll get more responses here, because as I said before, you asked a good question. A controversial one, but a very good question.

Credits
    Savings
    I want to call your attention to the last part of post 25, especially that last part. The numbers of threads in this section about people saying they wanted to be a Marine since before they were even conceived, etc etc and how they are now ineligible because of this or that crime, and tattoos, and misconduct, and if only they could turn back the hands of time.

It is unbelievable---when all they had to do was to THINK before they acted. But no, they come on here all the time lamenting the fact that the Corps doesn't want them.

So, pay particular attention to Mike's (crazymjb) post number 25, the very last paragraph.

I'm quite positive that none of that applies to you, but just take another look at it, because it's important.

Definitely! I don't plan on doing anything stupid (especially if it could get me disqualified). Personally I like to think I'm smarter than that. Fun in the moment, haunting you 30 years later... some people like to do that stuff but it's never been me. Also, I have never understood how someone can say they've been dedicated to something for years, then go and do something that screws it up and still claim they didn't see the consequences coming.

I won't remember the exact words. I'm sure it's possible to find them on the internet somewhere - it wasn't too long ago, earlier this summer. But to paraphrase our commandant when he was talking about the type of young woman (officer and enlisted) the Marine Corps is seeking, he said something to the affect of "we are looking for competitive athletes with winning attitudes who know what it takes to sacrifice and be part of a winning team". If anybody finds it I wish they would post it here.

Don't know Maddie. But from what she has told us here, sounds to me like she is what the commandant is looking for. Grunt material, not sure. But Marine material for sure.

Credits
    Savings
    Absolutely, Top----Maddie would make a fine Marine, and WILL be one when the time comes.

Thank you guys for believing in me and I can only hope to do you all proud!

Credits
    Savings

any takers ?

Ed, are you off your meds again????

Quote Originally Posted by Maddie Barnes View Post
    So what are your opinions on women joining the infantry? I do realize that not all these answers will be positive however, I am looking for real thoughts. I would appreciate every opinion. I know I will probably not like a large portion of these responses but I honestly want to know. Thank you all for your time and responses!
    Candidly put.....no....absolutely not.

No women in any form (or MOS) of direct ground combat.
    No integrated direct combat units.
    No integrated boot camp training platoons.

It's just a politically correct experiment which I think is folly.
    My opinion on this subject is irrelevant anyway.
    To each their own.....label me anything you like.

As far as wanting to earn the EGA....hope all goes well.

That's my take on it....carry on.

...as they say "and this too will pass". Good post ChulaiVet!

ORDO AD CHAO

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    ...as they say "and this too will pass". Good post ChulaiVet!
    Howdy Hammer....

Well....that makes two of us.
    All this PC crap and gender roles reversals is silly.
    Some genders do things better than others...end of story.

Oh....by the way.....I'd like to be Miss America but I can't find a swimsuit that fits me well.

Thanks....back to topic.

Thread Information