Security Forces and Scout Sniper
Create Post

Security Forces and Scout Sniper

Hello,

I am a poolee with an MG (Marine Corps Security Forces) contract with an April 30, 2018 ship date. My question is, will I be eligible for sniper school during or after my time in Security Forces, as that is an ultimate goal of mine. If so, what would be the process to get selected for sniper school, aside from the minimum requirements which can be found online?

Thank you,

Tyler LaTona

Similar Threads:

Generally the STA asset is part of a regular infantry unit -- at the very least once you get to the regular infantry after your security forces obligation you should have the opportunity. I'm not sure what the options are while with the security forces. I'd be surprised if there was no type of designated marksmen in a FAST company, but I honestly don't know.

Mike

As MJB stated you won't be able to receive a seat at SS school until you hit the fleet, however security forces does send Marines through DM school, so that is a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by crazymjb View Post
    Generally the STA asset is part of a regular infantry unit -- at the very least once you get to the regular infantry after your security forces obligation you should have the opportunity. I'm not sure what the options are while with the security forces. I'd be surprised if there was no type of designated marksmen in a FAST company, but I honestly don't know.

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by jab116 View Post
    As MJB stated you won't be able to receive a seat at SS school until you hit the fleet, however security forces does send Marines through DM school, so that is a possibility.
    If I have a 5 year TOE with security forces, will I still be forced to re-enlist if I go to SS as soon as I hit the fleet?

Good question. They may not want to send you to school if you don't have much time left on contract. I'm not sure if they can "add a year" to your contract in exchange for the school slot. Generally on AD enlistment comes in terms. On the reserve side they would make guys re-enlist to get a sniper school slot. The one exception was before we went to Afghanistan they sent all the guys in the platoon who weren't school trained to school with no additional obligation.

Mike

Depends. I was Security Forces. FAST Co. I went to Designated Marksman course (DM). When I hit the fleet, most of security forces guys went to Maritime Raid force (MRF). The DM's from SF got a chance to do Scout Sniper undoc because the battalion was low on snipers.

When you get into a Scout Sniper platoon (Weapons Co.) you are NOT a Scout Sniper by any means. You are a PIG (Professionally Insctructed Gunman). You still carry the SAW, M203, Radio, and all the things required by the actual Snipers. When you have proven that you are proficient then they will send you to Scout Sniper School to become a HOG (Hunter of Gunman). Not everyone pass their first time. Good luck mate.

Kphans is correct about not being guaranteed as spot in sniper school just because you make it into STA. My advice is when you get to the fleet, and your first unit take some time to feel it out. Get to know the STA platoon specifically any NCOs in the platoon. (They will be the ones making the calls on who gets into the platoon.)

When I was in 1/6 they ran two in-docs per year where they would do grueling physical workouts and written exams based on classes they taught during the in-doc. Then once the in-doc is over the they select who they wanted in STA platoon and submit a request to transfer those marines. That request could still be denied based on other factors.

I was in WPNS company so I dealt with STA all of the time and their selection process was not quite what you would expect. Often they would just pick people who they knew from around the battalion or people who had likable personalities. One of the most dedicated machine gunners I knew went through the in-doc three times, he did well every time and still never got selected.

90% of getting chosen and becoming a HOG is psychological. They have to be confident that you can handle the stress and you have to be able to take everything without cracking up. If your not calm under pressure or you don't have common sense, then your screwed.

Thread Information