LAV Crewman
Create Post

Thread: LAV Crewman

LAV Crewman

I want to be an LAV crewman, but I’m told a lot that it’s not a fun MOS to have and that it won’t help me after life in the Marine Corps. I got a score of 87 on the ASVAB so I have a lot of other options I know will help me later in life but I feel like I won’t enjoy them at all (I’m also trying to become an officer) any advice on what to do?

Similar Threads:

A lot going on here dude. First and foremost, you said you WANT to be an LAV crewman. That's infantry on wheels. It's all the fun stuff with less walking. As a new junior enlisted Marine, no matter where you are, it won't be fun and games all the time. The new guys get stuck doing the stupid stuff, getting messed with, etc. That will be as an LAV crewman or in an intel shop. If you read the job description and it sounds fun to you, AND that's what you WANT to do, do it!

Life skills from military jobs are overrated. The infantry will give you the best leadership and management training of your life if you take advantage of it. You'll build confidence, and skills in organization, planning, etc. You'll also learn how to push through bull****, an important skill in life. No, you won't be learning an immediately transferable trade, but you will get out with veterans status and a free ride to college or a professional school which will get you to wherever you want to go.

Finally, you say you are trying to become an officer. What's your plan here? Enlisted to commissioning programs, attending college after the USMC, etc? Enlisting is certainly not necessary to become an officer, though it can be helpful.

Mike

Don't remember seeing any civilians driving amphibious tractors around here in East Tennessee (or anywhere else in the country for that matter). That may be a clue that MOS does not transfer well to the civilian world. But, if it makes you happy (and your recruiter can get it for you) anyway then go for it. 0351 (infantry assault man) does not transfer either but that does not stop people from wanting that job.

Credits
    Savings
    1833 is a poor civilian occupation (heavy equipment operator) ! MP is probably the best civilian transfer MOS? or air traffic controller?

ATC and stuff in the navy dealing with nukes seems to be the best. MP, meh. Half the grunts I deployed with are cops, and they so most military guys who are LE (and it's a ton of them) were not MPs.

Mike

The most sought after job both in the Marine Corps and civilian life right now is cyber security technician (because of all the hacking we and our enemies do both in the civilian and defense/intelligence sectors). The commandant has made it clear cyber warfare is one of his top priorities as is keeping cyber Marines from being poached by other agencies/civilian firms. In fact, 0689 cyber security technicians are being offered a reenlistment bonus of $56,000.00 to not get out. Only other MOS being offered the same amount of money to stay in is 0372 critical skills operator (Marine Raider). Obviously, 0689 transfers highly to the civilian world while 0372 does not.

Although I enlisted as infantry I ended up with 3rd LAR and picked up the 0313 LAV crewman and 0352 TOW gunner MOSs as a result of on the job training in Iraq. Becoming a crewman, prepare yourself for a lot of boring vehicle maintenance and driving. Until you get the chance to get on that 25mm chain gun your going to be very bored!

Bored -- but bored and not walking!

Mike

Thread Information