How best to prepare for Recruit Training?
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

How best to prepare for Recruit Training?

I am 15, I go best high school in my state, have pretty good grades (math is a struggle but I've never had lower than a high C). I have played soccer nearly my whole life, I'm a freshman this year and I made the JV team as 1 of 2 goalies. I also play club soccer in the Spring. Typically I have 3 practices a week during the Fall, 2-3 during the Spring (plus games for both seasons). There is also a period during Spring in which pre-tryout (HS) and club soccer overlap, during which I have 3 club practices and 2 days of lifting. Also, during the Summer, I have 3 days of pre-tryout practices and 2 days lifting a week. Basically, I am very busy year round and normally average about 7 hours of sleep a night max (on school days). I know I still have time until I sign up and head to Recruit Training but, I would like to know any advice you all have about being prepared physically and mentally. I have researched on the internet but there is nothing as good as getting it straight from someones who's gone through it. I can currently do 2 miles in 16:30 and haven't really tried for farther (it was a high school soccer requirement this year). I know I am lacking in push ups and I can't do a pull up. I know the basics of keep your head clean, do well in school, keep your grades up, and get physically fit. I am hoping that someone could give me workout routine to fallow and something I can do to prepare mentally. I know the mental aspect is harder to train for but, I feel like there has to be something I can to so I am (more so) ready to be broken down and built back up as a marine. Also, how do I approach telling my parents? I think generally my dad will be okay with it but I think my mom will have a really hard time with it. The last thing she wants her children doing is anything where they train you how to think in one way and one way only. Obviously joining the Marines Corps will cause problems with that. Not having her support will not stop me but it would mean a lot if I could get her to support me. So any tips in general will be greatly appreciated but in specific I would like tips on mental and physical prep, along with how to talk to my parents about my decision to join the USMC. Of course anything else you think will be helpful to me would be amazing!
    Thank you all and God Bless!

Similar Threads:

Also, I know this may sound really dumb but, is there anything I can buy to help train? Christmas is coming up and I still have a few birthdays and such until I can officially sign up for Recruit Training, so I was thinking maybe instead of another pair of jeans I could ask for something more useful. Thank you all so much for your time and for helping me out!

Also, I know this may sound really dumb but, is there anything I can buy to help train? Christmas is coming up and I still have a few birthdays and such until I can officially sign up for Recruit Training, so I was thinking maybe instead of another pair of jeans I could ask for something more useful. However, I know this list maybe limited since I am not ready to tell my parents about wanting to join the Marine Corps. Also, what are some things I should learn be for I head out? I am working on the basics like: Marines Hymn, 11 General Orders for a Sentry, Rifleman's Creed, Marines Core Values (and the history/significance behind them), the Code of Conduct, I am learning everything I can about the M16A4 rifle, and I have the Enlistment Oath on my list of things to memorize (my parents will not take me to a shooting range so basically my knowledge of guns comes from online research, I am hoping I can convince my dad soon to sign the waivers for me to go to the range sometime soon though). So I feel like I have most of the things people typically say to learn about, however I am hoping to be able to learn about more to alleviate some of the stress. Also, knowing things before hand just helps me feel more comfortable and stop from second guessing myself. So anything else I should learn? Anything from big picture (like the things I listed above) to things we will learn in the academic portion of Boot Camp, honestly even things I don't HAVE to know but would still be useful to know. Anything is helpful and I will listen to all advice, you guys know better than I do! Thank you all so much for your time and for helping me out, it means a lot!

Sorry for the repost at the beginning of the third post.

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    In my day we never did anything to prepare. Absolutely nothing. You could memorize the General Orders, that would help, and just stay in reasonably good shape. The number one thing in boot camp is to make up your mind ahead of time to give it 110% at all times, every waking moment. Obey orders instantly and unquestioningly. You'll do fine if you're at all motivated to become a Marine. Your DIs will take care of the rest. There is no possible way to completely prepare for boot camp, otherwise boot camp would be just a repetition of your personal training, which it is not.

Your parents are not the first to not be thrilled at the idea of you becoming a Marine. Look thru various threads here about that, there are tons of them. Basically, stay away from confrontations with your mom and dad, concentrate on just answering any questions they may have, and tell them you would welcome the idea of them talking with a recruiter at some point down the line.

Anyway, just relax and enjoy the time you have before boot camp. There is no way to prepare for it as such, nor is there any simulation of it at home.

Since you need to work on pull-ups, get yourself one of those pull up bars you can stick inside your bedroom door frame and knockout pull-ups anytime you want. Also, find the big rubber band female recruits use in bootcamp to train for pull-ups. Don't know the technical term for this training tool but you should be able to search for it on the internet. Some athletic teams use this tool to develop upper body strength.

FYI. Marines are given the option of doing pull-ups or push ups for the physical fitness test so train for both. Pullups are scored higher because they're a better test of upper body strength (and harder to do). But, if you can't do pull-ups, push ups is at least the other option.

You're already working on cardio training (run portion of the physical fitness test). The 3rd portion is core strength (crunches). Besides crunches, you can build up your abdominal muscles by doing planks. The PFT is made up of pull-ups/pushups (upper body strength), 3 mile run (cardio), and crunches (core strength). Besides the PFT, all Marines must also pass the Combat Fitness Test (CFT). It's designed to test different aspects of one's physical fitness - more related to combat oriented tasks such as short bursts of speed (sprints), firemans carry (evacuating wounded), throwing a hand grenade, lifting a weight over your head repeatedly, etc. You can GOOGLE it to see the elements involved. Training for the CFT is different than training for the PFT.

As far as knowledge and what else to study for academically. You'll have to pass two written tests covering knowledge in bootcamp. These tests cover the subjects you listed plus others like Marine Corps history/customs/traditions, first aid, ranks/rank insignia, land navigation, nuclear/biological/chemical warfare, interior guard, etc. The book you need to buy to study this material is called the "Guidebook for Marines". You should be able to order this book from www.grunt.com or www.marineshop.net. After bootcamp, Marines must still pass this written test annually so you can continue to use it even after recruit training.

You didn't mention anything about swimming. You will spend time in the pool at Parris Island and swim qualification is a graduation requirement (just like rifle qualification and passing the written academic exams). You don't need to be a strong swimmer (swim qual is more about surviving in the water) but you do need to be comfortable in the water. You should be able to float and get from one end of the pool to the other doing the breast stroke or the side stroke. You'll have to jump off a 15' platform and you'll have to tread water in cammies with boots, helmet, and rifle. You can watch swim qual videos on youtube.com. Marines must continue to pass swim quals after bootcamp.

Don't concern yourself too much with going to a rifle range. Your marksmanship instructors don't want you to learn any bad habits and will teach you everything you need to know (the Marine Corps way). There are plenty of recruits who have never fired a weapon in their lives - and many of those qualify expert on the range. There are also recruits who grew up with weapons, hunted regularly, and shoot poorly. The keys to success on the rifle range are to learn the techniques taught and then to apply those techniques with live ammunition on the firing line. The rifle is just a tool and does not care if the individual using it is a 90 pound female or a 200 pound male. Your marksmanship instructors are going to teach you how to use that tool.

Recruiters talk to parents all the time. That's part off their job and they're taught how to discuss the challenges of being a Marine as well as the benefits with them. Your recruiter will help you with this concern.

Finally. You need to know the Marine Corps does recognize, and reward, superior performance regardless of gender. My niece graduated from Parris Island couple years ago. She graduated meritorious Private First Class (PFC) putting her one pay grade ahead of her peers who graduated with her. Then, she went on to be the class leader and honor graduate from her MOS school graduating as a meritorious Lance Corporal (LCpl) and putting her two pay grades ahead of those same peers.

Good luck.

Thanks! Would you say it is a good idea to tell my parents before or after I talk to a recruiter? I dont want them to feel like I was going behind their backs but I also don't want to tell them and then not have the recruiter as an option for help.

This definitely helps a lot. My whole life everyone around me has put a huge emphasis on preparing early but acting as if the test (or in this case the day I head to Paris Island) is tomorrow. So I was kinda freaking out but I feel less stressed now. As far as swimming goes, I grew up spending my summers in SC so I learned a lot of swimming things from the ocean, I have always loved the pool and I try to go as often as possible. I don't feel like I would be considered a star athlete on a swim team but, I definitely feel as though I can handle the water and not panic under (generally) any circumstance. I feel as though I have always struggled a bit with academics. My peers and brother always seem to have any easier time with school than I do. So I was wondering if you guys had any tips on learning a lot fast? Like memorization tips and such.

Also, how helpful would it be for me to get into some sort of martial art before Boot Camp? I'm not sure if I can because of my schedule but, if you all feel it would be helpful then I can definitely try. When I was younger I took Taekwondo but my parents stopped that pretty soon after I got in a "fight" in 2nd grade. (I would like to note that the kid was kicking my and punching me so I pushed him against a fence, I never hit back, and I didn't slam him into the fence. I just pushed him by his shoulders.), So it's been a while but I still remember the form for punches and kicks. Do you think it would be good for me to try and get back into martial arts? If so, is there any particular form of martial arts that you guys think would be most useful? Thanks for your time and help!

I have seen online that females do hangs rather than pull ups, is that true? If so, I can opt to do pull ups instead? My goal is to be able to evrything for the IST and PFT well within the male scroring ranges. It seems like they are expected to do more and do the running faster, so I plan on making sure that I could get a very high score on the male charts, which sets me up very well for my scores. I am hoping that I can get up to 12 or so pull ups before I turn 18, therefore if I am allowed to do pull ups rather than the hangs, I would like to. Am I allowed to chose?

Quote Originally Posted by Maddie Barnes View Post
    I have seen online that females do hangs rather than pull ups, is that true? If so, I can opt to do pull ups instead? My goal is to be able to evrything for the IST and PFT well within the male scroring ranges. It seems like they are expected to do more and do the running faster, so I plan on making sure that I could get a very high score on the male charts, which sets me up very well for my scores. I am hoping that I can get up to 12 or so pull ups before I turn 18, therefore if I am allowed to do pull ups rather than the hangs, I would like to. Am I allowed to chose?
    I have heard that they were going to give the option to do regular pull-ups or the hang, my Daughter was one that could do the hang and just hang there forever She never seemed to be tried, she would have relished the regular pull-ups but they didn't have that for Female recruits at that time,

No. Females no longer do the hang. You can opt to do pull-ups or pushups but you'll make more points by doing pull-ups. This is a recent change. What you're seeing online is outdated. It's possible all this could change again by the time you get to bootcamp.

We have our own martial arts program. You can study something else before bootcamp if you want to but your Marine Corps Martial Arts Program (MCMAP) instructors will teach you martial arts the Marine Corps way (one mind - any weapon) just like your marksmanship instructors will teach you how to shoot the Marine Corps way.

You'll leave bootcamp with a tan belt and can continue training in the fleet and work your way up to a black belt instructor if that becomes your goal.

https://youtu.be/1PJvFsffxbU

Combat Physical Fitness Test (CFT)

https://youtu.be/6Z3cAT8TWd0

You can see the rubber bands I was talking about here:

https://youtu.be/U27fYNd8irg

Thread Information