Son Being Sent Home?
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Son Being Sent Home?

My wife got a call about the boy who is about halfway through boot. They said he is pretty much about to come home but has to meet with the company commander first. Apparently discipline issues on top of getting a cigarette in the mail from an idiot friend. He would have been ok had he not hid the smoke and subsequently written a letter about how bad the drill instructors were.

Question is what are the chances the CO lets him stay? Or was that phone just a prep call to get us ready for him coming home?

Similar Threads:

Son Being Sent Home From Boot?

My wife got a call about the boy who is about halfway through boot. They said he is pretty much about to come home but has to meet with the company commander first. Apparently discipline issues on top of getting a cigarette in the mail from an idiot friend. He would have been ok had he not hid the smoke and subsequently written a letter about how bad the drill instructors were.

Question is what are the chances the CO lets him stay? Or was that phone just a prep call to get us ready for him coming home?

Apologies if this isn't in the right forum. Momma is stressed and I'm looking for qualified opinions from real Marines.

Been a while since I was on the Drill Field, but in the last 60's and early 70's we would send problem children to CCP (Correctional Custody Platoon) which was a satalite of Special Training Branch. Get caught smoking unauthorized cigs and off you went. We also had other methods of curing smoking when not authorized. Junior must be a real loser to get tossed for smoking. Good luck.

Sorry about that. in the late not last.

What is more surprising is the discipline issues we had no idea about (course how would we ever know) and that was a tipping point. The Marine my wife spoke to said at the halfway point most recruits decide that they are going to be Marines. He said the boy has not exhibited that.

just WHAT KIND OF CIGARETTE are we talking about here??? If it was nothing more than a regular smoke, he might be allowed to stay, perhaps doing some time in the "disciplinary platoon" before returning to a regular boot camp platoon... if it was marijuana or some other kind of contraband then that, coupled with his "disciplinary issues" is likely to earn him a one way ticket home....

sounds like just a smoke. We're more concerned about all the "dicipline issues" up to this point. I guess hiding it with all that let me look at the letter that showed him trashing them and they had it.

Just nail biting for my wife really. The boy wants to screw up its on him but I have a mother who was so proud and just bought a watch for him who is devastated and I have to look after her. Kills us to think he'd squander it.

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    You said disciplinary issues ON TOP OF getting caught with a cigarette. Maybe they will disclose to you the exact issues involved, but I have a feeling it's more than a smoke involved. Keep us posted, please.

Credits
    Savings
    You know by now that not everyone does the right thing, for themselves or for others. So whatever happens, naturally it was his own doing. His mom does not have to live her life via him. But on the good side, my information is that when they separate someone from the military so early, it can very well be via an honorable discharge and nothing punitive or harsh. In the old days, he would have been physically encouraged to continue, let us say---but nowadays when someone does not want to be there, the military doesn't want to constantly have to try to force them to do the right thing, they just send them home. And as I said, with an honorable discharge....but keep us posted on this thread and in Open Squad Bay, please.

Credits
    Savings
    This Honorable Discharge way of separating people for the good of the service and for failure to adapt etc goes back to at least 1979-1982. Not sure when they went from "physical encouragement" to just sending em home, but you can see from those dates that it began long long ago. There are five types of discharges. 3 are administrative and two are punitive. The two punitive ones are out, in his case, because those can only be "awarded", strange way to put it but that's the official wording, via special and general court-martial. The other three can be given, but General (which says right on it that it is Under Honorable Conditions) and Under Other Than Honorable Conditions----those are given for extreme misconduct, not simple stupid things like failure to care, failure to adapt etc, so MORE THAN LIKELY, he will come away with an honorable discharge-----however, he will not be eligible for service benefits the same way someone who was in for the entire enlistment would------you can consult with the JAG (Judge Advocate/Legal) office on base and if they will talk with you, they will give you more info about his exact kind of discharge, if that is what is coming.....but let's wait and see what actually happens, whether he is sent home, gets to stay, wants to stay, wants to go home.....it isn't resolved yet, from what I read, but I'm giving you info in general so you won't think that if he gets kicked out it would NECESSARILY be with a bad kind of discharge. Anyway, let us know what is going on.

Also, please understand that the Marine Corps still has the highest standards when compared to the other branches, and requires much more from the individual. Your son must prove that he "fits" in the Marine Corps, the MC does not bend very much.

Lack of (self) discipline does not go very far in the USMC. Our entire ethos at times requires that we stand and fight till the end, this requires a great deal of self motivation and discipling. For your son's sake, as well as your family's I hope he can continue. But, from my personal experience, the worse thing a recruit, or a Marine for that matter, can be is a quitter. Just saying.

Credits
    Savings
    NOTE: This thread is also in Open Squad Bay with the same title, just so you know there are two threads going on the subject.

Credits
    Savings
    NOTE: Just so readers know, this thread is also going in Marine Family section, Open Discussion section. The same subject matter, so the readers know that this has two parts to it.

Credits
    Savings
    (OP, see what I said over in Marine Family--Open Discussion section where you posted the other thread)---you're getting, and will continue to get, responses in both places.

Credits
    Savings
    Further, YOU should call the Company Commander's office before or after your son meets with him, and get the entire story, as well as the Corps' plans for your son. Because "qualified opinions from real Marines" as you put it, don't count. We can opine all we like, but would be no closer to letting you know about your son's specific situation. Only you talking with the CO would be productive. Any answers you get here would only be opinions, like mine, and hardly definitive.

Thread Information