Who pretends to be a Marine?!?
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Who pretends to be a Marine?!?

I need feedback. My BF of several years has told me and everyone he and I know that he’s a 3rd Force Recon Marine for years. Today he balked when asked his DD214 date by a high ranking “real marine”. He was also then asked his MOS and he said 1323. That’s not even a Marine MOS! I’m horrified. I acted like I was not on to him. I’m collecting my thoughts and need a real Marines opinion. He’s told a zillion stories about secret missions and being given an alias and having various SSN! I will be requesting records from the Marines to see what I can find but that will take weeks. Feel free to post this elsewhere and or get other Marines feedback as well. Thank you SO very much. I’m so confused.

Similar Threads:

You would be surprised how many posers are out there.There is a web site called THIS AINT HELL.US that oust these bastards.Sad part is some of the people on that site have served in the armed forces.

I believe that 13xx filed is Engineer, Construction, Facilities, & Equipment MOS area, I may be mistaken, it's been a long time since I looked into such things and I'm not too up on it now.
    someone should be along soon that has more knowledge than I do about these things... lol I'm just an old Grunt (0331/8533).

however, I do know that sometimes if you do go to a "special OPP" deployment/unit depending on what type and how secretive it is they will give you an odd MOS that seems not to be related at all for security reasons.

but usually, people who were assigned such operations won't go bragging about all the BS they did.

also, ask him what the code name for the unit was and let us know, I would be curious to know.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Well, I would say that he's blowing smoke.

3rd Force Recon is a unit stationed out of Okinawa, Japan.

Force Recon people are not the super secret squirrels of the Corps (Marine Raiders are, formerly known as MARSOC). Force Recon a deep reconnaissance unit, period. Anything he said about multiple SSNs and aliases is crap. Real secret squirrels do not talk about their secret squirrel work, and rarely even admit they're in such a unit. Yes, Force Recon could do some sensitive, classified work, but they won't be talking about it.

As you said, the MOS 1323 is not currently a Marine MOS, and if it was, would be in the engineering field. His refusal to supply non-critical DD-214 information is also a big red flag.

Do you know if he was even in the Marine Corps at all?

Don't feel bad about being confused. That is a normal state of affairs for me :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    Don't feel bad about being confused. That is a normal state of affairs for me :-)
    you and me both brother...lol

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    BTW, I deleted the other post as a double and left this as its own thread.

I have no earthly idea if he’s ever been in the corps! I was told so many things over the past 4 years that I am beyond thankful that I wasn’t victimized in some worse way than the lies. He was in 2 plane crashes and survived, played football on a plane coming back to the States, imprisioned in Mexico as a “plant” to find out insider info, (I know you’re dying laughing right now-at me-for being so trusting), shot twice with no scars, called “back up” last month for a special mission (carried a AK47 in car for several days while awaiting “the call”....oh my gosh!!! I’m a college educated nurse who wouldn’t have believed this unless it was happening to me. I’ve requested records or info from the Marines, but may never know since we weren’t married!

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Well, how would you know details about the Marine Corps and what the different units are and what they do?

I would suggest that you ask him two or three very specific questions, such as where he went to boot camp, but that would be to throw him off guard, the real question being what BATTALION he was in, in boot camp. And a few other innocent questions like that. Such as you heard that there are 7 divisions in the Corps.

You could ask if that is true. And maybe several more questions designed to have him give false info that is KNOWN to be false, rather than his stories and info he is giving on his own.

The best way to flush him out into the open is, as I said, to ask simple probing questions like the ones I mentioned. We could help you design those simple questions, but not having been in the Corps, probably, he will not be able to give the correct answers to questions every Marine should know.

Credits
    Savings
    These would be five or six simple questions that every Marine would know, and we would help you compile them. And if he is what we call a "poser", he would most likely answer these questions incorrectly. Then you'd know his true status.

Right now he is in the driver's seat, telling you what HE wants you to know. But with these several questions, you would be controlling him and turning the tables quickly.

And you would not come across as cross-examining him, but just being curious in a casual way.

there are many who "pretend" and with the modern sy fy special evffects on tv it would be easy to get cought up in things like this, so don't feel bad, when my son was watching our hobby store once, a man came in with his kid and was telling my sond all kinds of nonsense about had held rocket launchers and all the crap he did while in the Navy as a Navy seal, but the items he said he used was way out there, if you know what I mean, laser guns and motion rays, and such,
    but my son was respectful to him in front of his kid so's not to embarrass him.
    but there are a lot of them out there for sure and for certain.

Sweetie....there are only 900,000 Viet Nam vets still living. It has been estimated that there are over 9 million claiming to be Viet Nam vets. What I'm saying is....there are a lot of posers out there, and the Corps is usually their choice. That bullshet about SSN numbers being changed is a new one. Your Boy Friend just talking about all this shet is a red flag. More than likely, he is insecure about his real life, and is living in a dream world.

Credits
    Savings
    Let us know if you want us to suggest four or five simple questions, and the answers, and then you ask your boyfriend at your convenience, so as not to seem suspicious, a little at a time, and give us his answers here, and we can tell you immediately that he gave you wrong answers. What other way would there be to do this? Right now, he is giving you info. Your pre-designed questions would set a foolproof trap for him. But it should be done gradually. He will think you're just curious, and will probably warm to his task of answering these questions, thereby digging his own grave.

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback. He’s pretty Marine savvy so questions about where he went to boot camp won’t snag him. I swear I think he’s done years worth of research into the Marines. He’s “been to 29 countries” he was actually given the option of enlisting in the Marines or being prosecuted for illegally bringing drugs back into the US from Mexico (unbenounced to him) because his passenger had hid them in his vehicle. Honestly , I think he’s probably certifiably crazy (in retrospect) love is deaf dumb and blind, apparently!! I’d like you to give me some questions to throw at him, although the poster who said there are no aliases or new ssn issued pretty much convinced me. I guess he told me that in case I did request info. He could always say his info wis under a top secret alias or a different ssn:-(

I would tell him to take a hike.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yeah, all of that alias business, false SSN, etc, is all nonsense. If true he'd be working for the CIA and violating all sorts of non-disclosure agreements. Furthermore, it has been illegal for a number of years now for someone to be forced to decide between the military and prison. Yes, it used to be common, but not for some kind of big drug crime. I went to boot camp with a guy who had a 4-years honorably in the Corps or 4-years in prison (for burglary) deal, but it was legal then (1971). BTW the guy did do his time honorably and re-enlisted to boot.

The whole story he is giving you is stereotypical of a poser. When forced to fish or cut bait about their tales, they almost always resort to the "that's classified" line.

Where exactly are you requesting information from? The Marine Corps directly or the National Archives Military Records? If you're asking the Corps directly, they may only tell you if he is in or not right now. If he is out, the National Archives will provide you some information under the Freedom of Information Act. Not a lot, but you could confirm he was in the Corps or not, perhaps his MOS, and some other info that could be helpful. They cannot send you his entire personnel file. Nothing that goes into your personnel file is classified, but some is protected under the Privacy Act. The request may take a couple of months to get back.

Here is the link to the National Archives: https://www.archives.gov/veterans

If you do get stuff back from the Archives, much of it will be self-explanatory, but some may be confusing because of acronyms used, etc. If you have questions, we're here to help. Like USMC2571 said, we can help you come up with some specific questions that a real Marine could correctly answer in his sleep, but not a faker.

Don't feel bad about being taken in by this guy. They're usually pretty smooth with their fairy tales, at least for awhile. Some very smart and highly educated people have been suckered by posers.

Thread Information