Denver Marine's Selfless Act Contributes to Victory
Submitted by: 8th Marine Corps District
Story Identification Number: 200425101031
Story by Story by Sgt. Matthew O. Holly

Marine Corps Recruiting Station Denver(February 04, 2004) -- When the Marine Corps turned its attention toward the Global War on Terrorism, few would have thought that a small-town Marine with dreams of seeing the world would return home as a combat veteran, decorated for his combat heroism.

Lance Cpl. Brandon A. Warpness, 1st Combat Engineer Battalion, Regimental Combat Team 7, 1st Marine Division, while serving as assistant machine gunner, was awarded the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, with combat “v” device denoting valor for his actions during Operation Iraqi Freedom, April 7.

After coming up to a minefield on the west side of the Diyala River, which hindered the advance of 1st Tank Battalion’s offensive on Baghdad, a mine-clearing charge was detonated to clear the ground. The minefield, however, remained a daunting 150-meter hurdle of anti-tank mines and grenades rigged as anti-personnel mines for the advance.

Abandoning the safety of his amphibious assault vehicle, Warpness ran 120-meters down the middle of the minefield, ignoring the danger of enemy rocket-propelled grenades and machinegun fire, and placed a bangalore torpedo into the remaining minefield to clear a path.

The certificate signed by Maj. Gen. James N. Mattis, commanding general, 1st Marine Division, awarded to Warpness, who was a Private First Class at the time, stated that the act of valor was "instrumental in breaching the obstacle. His initiative, perseverance and total dedication to duty reflected great credit upon himself and were in keeping with highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval services."

“I think my overall experience in Iraq was a good experience,” said Warpness. “I learned to appreciate this great country more than before.”

Warpness signed up in the Marine delayed entry program, Dec. 16, 2000, and proceeded to boot camp the following year in July after attending Laramie High School.

“I was scared and proud at the same time,” stated Marci Warpness, Brandon’s mother, when speaking of her son’s decision to join the Marine Corps. “Joining the Marine Corps afforded him the opportunity to see different parts of the world.”

When Marci asked her son if he regretted joining the Corps, he replied, “No, Mom, I don’t. I wanted to see the world, that was my goal and I’ve certainly done that.
I've driven from ocean to ocean and been up and down both seaboards; I've been to four different countries, and met a lot of nice people along the way,” explained Warpness. “I've done all of this in just two years.”

“When he returned home, the difference in him was beyond description,” explained Marci. “He and his father, a former Marine, stand the same way and the only way to describe it would be to say that they stand ‘tall and proud.’”

“The best way I can sum up my short time in the Marine Corps is to say that I’ve had a lot of fun and seen a lot of places,” said Warpness.

When asked about returning to Iraq, Warpness stated he has had plenty of time to get himself and his family ready for his next deployment if he is called upon

Lance Cpl. Brandon A. Warpness (front row, second from the left) pictured with fellow Marines from 1st Combat Engineer Battalion, 1st Marine Division during Operation Iraqi Freedom. Warpness was awarded the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal with combat "v" device for his actions during the war. (Photo courtesy of Lance Cpl. Brandon A. Warpness) Photo by: Lance Cpl. Brandon A. Warpness

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn20...A?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger