PLC/OCC Weight Concerns
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member Unconquered's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

PLC/OCC Weight Concerns

Greetings Marines,

This is my first ever post on this forum, so I apologize if this is not in the right place or something along those lines.

I am currently a 19 year old freshman at Florida State University who is interested in becoming a military officer, and more specifically a Marine officer.

Due to a variety of reasons, I am not able to go through the traditional NROTC pathway (I started during a Summer semester, I am on track to graduate in 3 years instead of 4, so my graduation timeline is quite messed up, and NROTC is designed for people who graduate in 4 years, not 3).

This leaves me the options of PLC or OCC, which honestly I like more than NROTC anyway, since that pathway is vastly more flexible.

There is one very large problem. I am, and always have been, quite overweight. Physical activity was not my friend as a kid, at all. I am currently approximately 300 pounds, and need to lose 110ish of that to even meet the baseline enlistment standards for my height. On the bright side, I have lost about 50 pounds since starting college, so have made progress there.

As everyone here knows, the USMC is a very physical occupation, and especially so for officers due to the competitive nature of even getting into OCS at all.

I am very concerned about that, as I have essentially no experience even being healthy, let alone being in top physical shape. I don't mind physical activity, and even like it, I just truly have no significant experience with it and have no idea where to even start with overcoming this roadblock.

How should I go about doing this? I understand the default answer is "exercise more" but there are physical limitations when a person is this out of shape. I cannot physically run, at all, so going for jogs is not possible. I currently walk a few miles per day, but even that is leaving extremely painful blisters which makes it hard to walk at all for days.

I don't have a car and walk to class, so this is becoming a real problem. The more I exercise the harder it becomes to even physically get to my classes the next day due to all the blisters. I have not missed any yet, but it is getting progressively harder to keep it that way.

Not having a car is also making healthy eating more difficult than it should be, as the nearest grocery store is two miles away, meaning that simply getting a few bags of food is a four mile round trip. Unhealthy food is lighter, smaller and lasts longer than healthy food, so is far easier to carry back. This makes simply buying food a weekly battle of mental willpower knowing the physical pain that will have to be endured just to get bananas or lettuce that will go bad in a few days anyway.

What should I be doing to improve this situation? Any advice is greatly appreciated, particularly from anyone who has lost extreme amounts of weight.

Short version:

Fat guy needs help losing weight to apply for Marine OCS/OCC in the future. Injuries are preventing this and interfering with college academics. What should he do?

Thank you all in advance, and sorry this post is so long.

Similar Threads:

Just a consideration.

FSU should have a Marine Officer Selection Officer (OSO). This is the officer who you would work with to submit any applications to PLC/OCS. Contact them to establish an early relationship and, to get their advice about your situation (they have encountered it before I'm sure). The local USMC recruiting station can give you their contact info.

Good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you for the suggestion Master Sergeant, I was under the impression that OSO's would not be willing to talk to me since I am currently so far below their recruitment standards.

I will try to locate the nearest one and reach out to them about this.

You need 2 things: Supervision and willpower. Diet and exercise will get you where you need to be, but given your lack of familiarity with either you need someone who will help you plan it out so you don't hurt yourself or make yourself sick.

Willpower is the second thing. You can get down to a much more reasonable weight without doing any crazy exercise. You are already making excuses in this thread. To go from being a big dude to being a normal dude you need to change your lifestyle. You need to learn how to enjoy eating less and enjoy eating healthier. If you starve yourself or murder yourself all day at the gym you aren't going to have changes that last your whole life. This is why you need to meet with someone who will help you get this all figured out.

Keep walking. Stop making excuses and don't buy junk food. Buy white meats like chicken and tuna, put it in a whole wheat wrap. Eat brown rice instead of pasta. Buy salads, eggs, etc, make omlets. Drink almond milk and go light on cheese. Stop eating processed crap, desert, and whatever other crap you know you shouldn't be eating. Snack on carrot sticks. Also, get a calorie counter app and don't eat more than you need to eat. When your hungry, drink water. Drink water before every meal. Don't have huge dinners.

Eating right is 90% of being a healthy weight. If you are at the maximum amount you can walk, go to your school gym and spend some time alternating on the stationary bike, rower, etc. You are new to working out so you don't need to kill yourself, but spend an hour sweating and getting your heart rate up a bit.

Good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you very much Sergeant, that was exactly the type of specific helpful feedback I was hoping for. Upon re-reading my original post, I do see the excuses you mentioned and will stop using them going forward.

I will do my best to put all of your advice into practice as soon as possible. I'll start looking for a person to supervise like you mentioned as well, perhaps one of the faculty or students in the health/medical/nutrition programs would be willing to help me with that if I'm lucky.

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    If I were you I would print out or make an outline from what crazymjb said, as it is all there in black and white, and would make a good reference tool.

I want to be clear I'm not trying to be a jerk. If you are injured, the last thing you want to do is power through an injury. But this is an excuse: "Unhealthy food is lighter, smaller and lasts longer than healthy food, so is far easier to carry back." On the other hand, if you are damaging your feet, don't keep making them worse. I'd find good socks and shoes though. I walk 5 miles most days with a 60lb pack, which makes me close to 300lbs, and my feet are fine. You will do plenty of hiking in the Marine Corps weighing well over 300lbs.

Mike

^^^truth. As a Marine, your feet, shins, knees, and hips will take a major beating humping (hiking), route stepping (power walking), and running long distances (sometimes with heavy loads).

I had to have surgeries on both legs for overuse injuries (chronic compartment syndrome), and I wasn't even in the infantry. Did do a lot of running including 5K runs and mini-marathons pre injury but was never the same after.

It is essential your lower extremities can tolerate the kinds of stress they'll be subjected to - not just during initial training, but in the fleet afterwards as well. Of course, the lower the amount of weight they must support, the better off they'll be.

Credits
    Savings
    I hope no one thought I was kidding around when I suggested that the OP print out the post by crazymjb. I was serious, because of the detailed description of what the OP might do in order to eat right etc. So OP, plenty of good advice here, make sure you follow thru on it.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by crazymjb View Post
    I want to be clear I'm not trying to be a jerk. If you are injured, the last thing you want to do is power through an injury. But this is an excuse: "Unhealthy food is lighter, smaller and lasts longer than healthy food, so is far easier to carry back." On the other hand, if you are damaging your feet, don't keep making them worse. I'd find good socks and shoes though. I walk 5 miles most days with a 60lb pack, which makes me close to 300lbs, and my feet are fine. You will do plenty of hiking in the Marine Corps weighing well over 300lbs.

Mike
    I didn't think you were being a jerk at all, your reply was completely accurate and fair. You are completely right that it was an excuse and I shouldn't have been thinking that way.

I'm guessing the injury part is being caused by my body not being used to any significant physical activity up until now. Hopefully it will adjust to the new lifestyle and stop happening eventually.

I truly appreciate the help and advice.

Last edited by Unconquered; 10-17-17 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Forgot the quote

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC 2571 View Post
    I hope no one thought I was kidding around when I suggested that the OP print out the post by crazymjb. I was serious, because of the detailed description of what the OP might do in order to eat right etc. So OP, plenty of good advice here, make sure you follow thru on it.
    I definitely took your post seriously, and printed out copy of it like you suggested. It's currently stuck to my refrigerator to remind me of what needs to be done for every meal.

I am really thankful for the advice, and will definitely follow through on all of it.

I was saying I wasn't trying to be a jerk because there is a tendency of the advice by some to simply be "suck it up" and "no excuses." I'm realistic, certain times there are reasonable excuses. Just make sure you are not conflating reasonable excuses with giving yourself an out on doing what you need to do.

I want to emphasize I am not a nutritionist or a trainer. I really really really can't say enough how important it is I think you meet with one though. I'm not saying spend 1000s of dollars and meet with them weekly, but you should find someone who is more than happy to help you make a plan and check in with you from time to time.

The advice above about your school's health department is great. My wife was a kin major (exercise physiology) in college and I know they were always looking for students to practice setting up fitness and nutrition plans for and for tracking progress on. I'm sure FSU has a great kin department, and I'd reach out to them sooner rather than later. You basically want to tell them your goals, and I would emphasize that you want changes you can make for the rest of your life.

I assume you grew up with habits that lead to where you are now. Unfortunately, you need a new lifestyle, and not just for the USMC, but because you're gonna kill yourself otherwise. The key with a lifestyle change is doing things in a manner they can be sustained. If it's any consolation, I've met more than 1 Marine who lost over 100 lbs prior to enlisting.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Mike

Credits
    Savings
    Excellent advice as always.

Aww, you're gonna make me blush.

Thanks!

Credits
    Savings
    I was talking about my OWN good advice----just kidding, it is your great advice, and that of the legendary Tennessee Top that keeps this particular section running. A few others contribute mightily too, such as the former recruiter Kaumauxx and others.

I throw in a few comments now and again, but having been in from 1963 to 1967 I can only talk about generalities such as How Do I Approach Boot Camp and things like that......

Thread Information