Job trouble
Create Post

Thread: Job trouble

Poolee/DEP Free Member Jprez556's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Job trouble

Mornin Marines, Im a Poolee and now i just put in for my job wish list last night and my order is as follows. Combat engineer, Radio operator, and combat support. Now I know just because I put down and qualified for these jobs I am not guaranteed to get any, especially since I have an active duty contract. I know I'm going to sound like a wanna be supreme right here, but I long to do infantry, than recon. My recruiter said he puts putting kids in infantry because you don't learn like a trade you can use in the civilian world. Also I'm not the best at pt at the moment, predominantly my pull-ups and crunches, I got my 1.5 at 11:25, I know its not amazing but I dropped a whole minute from my last IST. But back to the point. I qualify for recon too, and he said he'd put my as that as soon as I pass my IST, but I would feel a lot more confident going to an infantry bat first, than applying for BRC, mainly because my understanding is if you fail, you'd go back to your infantry bat (please correct me if I'm wrong), and if you enlist with an HZ (recon) contract, if you fail you get an open contract. So if anyone went to infantry than recon and had this experience please sound off and tell me, because even though combat engineer is a great path, it just doesn't feel right to me, or for me. Thanks, Rah.

Similar Threads:

Ask for an infantry contract if you want to be infantry.

Mike

If you get a HZ contract, go to BRC, bust your a$$ but never quit, and still get dropped, you'll get reclassified to an infantry MOS. If you go, can't hack it, and just quit, you'll be reclassified as open contract (and end up baking bread in the messhall). There is also the possibility you could go and get injured (there are a number of Marines at BRC in a holding platoon waiting for surgery, injuries to heal/rehab - a few will be medically discharged, a few will be reclassified, and a few will be picked up for training later when released for training). Some have been in that holding platoon for months (dislocated shoulders, broken bones, etc). Of course, the School of Infantry (SOI), after bootcamp, has a holding Company (Lima Company) for the same reason. Bottom line, if you believe there is even a chance you may end up wanting to quit BRC, then go infantry first. FYI: first day in the 19' pool at BRC, first quitter happens after just 15 minutes in the water (there is still the entire training day to go yet).

You are correct. If you go to an infantry battalion first, try out, and get selected for BRC and get dropped, you'll just return to the same battalion and keep your infantry MOS. You can't just apply for Recon and get orders to BRC. The Recon battalion at your duty station will have try outs. IF they think you have what it takes to pass BRC, they'll recommend to your battalion CO you get sent to BRC. It'll then be up to your command to decide to send you or not (they don't have to). You can apply all you want, but that does not mean you'll ever see BRC. Your command will have a history of sending their Marines to BRC, embassy duty school, recruiters school, DI school, primary marksmanship instructor school, MARSOC, etc. They'll know who has a good chance of coming back and who doesn't.

A student at BRC did die in the pool last year.

Send a PM to FoxtrotOscar and ask him to change your title to poolee.

Poolee/DEP Free Member Jprez556's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for all the info Top, It helps a lot and I appreciate it very much, and I already did send FoxtrotOscar a message to change my title, and he said it was already done but it didn't change for some reason.

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Your status has now been changed-----but allow me a moment here to reflect on the old days when we were interested in just becoming Marines. We didn't even have any idea that Marines HAD jobs, of varying kinds. We just took Classification Tests in boot camp, and that plus the ever-present Needs of The Corps determined what job we would be handed. I was pleasantly surprised, as my job that was given to me without any input whatsoever from me was the best job I ever had, before or after the Corps, including now. Going back to those days would no doubt make people nervous, who must have everything figured out down to what they will have for breakfast on the morning of February 2, 2021, but in general, look at all the anxiety about MOSs that would be alleviated, if you just joined up not even knowing whether you would be repairing air conditioning systems or driving a tank. Those days are gone in our present society of having to know everything in advance or suffering nervous breakdowns. But it would be a lot more relaxing. After all, that system worked for DECADES and it was "fixed" anyway. We fix problems that don't exist. Good luck to the OP, but do give some thought to the fact that the Corps is made up of many many jobs, not just a few. You may be pleasantly surprised to find that this or that job is more to your liking than you originally thought. End of sermon. LOL.

Thread Information