Personally owned swords in the barracks?
Create Post

Question Personally owned swords in the barracks?

Good afternoon all, I am graduating from ITB as an 11 and I had a few questions about enlisted barracks life in San Mateo.

1. Swords in the Barracks: before the Marine Corps I was a medieval fight cluber and I was wondering if I would be able to stow my gear in the enlisted barracks or if I would even have enough room for any of it. Mostly what I am wondering about is the swords and axes. What I do know about the rules I found on the

pendleton.marines.mil/New-Personnel/Weapons-Registration/

page (can't post url links yet)

"**Knives. All knives (to include swords and axes) primarily designed for offensive or defensive use, including folding knives with blades over 6 inches long, will be registered. This does not include kitchen knives or ceremonial swords with unsharpened edges/points, or folding knives with blades under 6 inches long."

With that said, the swords I use are blunted and have rounded tips to make the steel combat a bit safer. Does anyone have any input on this?

2. I have heard from some combat instructors that barracks will be assigned by alphabet and then I've heard from another that in 2/4 we might get to choose who we room with.

Opinions, facts and experiences from 2/4 enlisted barracks life would be appreciated. Thank you all and have a good afternoon!

Similar Threads:

I figure if TSA would take these items from you if you were flying I would suppose that the Corps will make you store them in the Armory. Just my 2 cents.

^^^this. You'll have to turn them into your unit's armory for safekeeping. Swords/axes are weapons (doesn't matter how blunted they are) and weapons are not allowed in any barracks at any time. You'll also find items of any value tend to come up missing from the barracks - another reason they need to be secured in the armory.

Don't know about 2/4 but I can't remember ever getting to choose a room mate. All I ever remember is the barracks NCO or Company Gunny assigning rooms based on rank. If you didn't like your room mate(s), embrace the suck, and get over it.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post

You'll also find items of any value tend to come up missing from the barracks - another reason they need to be secured in the armory.

I can't remember ever getting to choose a room mate.
    All I ever remember is the barracks NCO
    or Company Gunny assigning rooms based on rank.

If you didn't like your room mate(s), embrace the suck, and get over it.
    TT - that is classic

Thread Information