Bunion BUMED waiver
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Bunion BUMED waiver

so to make a long story short i had a bunionoctemy surgery on my right foot back in 2012 and got two screws implanted in me, it didn't hurt or anything but i got it cause it was causing holes in my right shoe ( maybe i was buying them to small? ) also had mild childhood asthma and took two pulmonary function tests this year, passed them both and got cleared by meps for it... but now they were wondering if i got the surgery on my right foot, wont i need it on my left foot but i don't, went back to my surgeon had him check my left and he wrote a note stating both feet are good, that i have no restrictions and stuff like that.... but now my recruiter told me that i need a BUMED waiver for my feet, he said that i will go to meps and do everything except swear in, but if everything goes good with my physical then i can swear in, all my paper work handed to meps is the docs clearing me of my past medical history, so why do i need the bumed waiver?? just to point out i workout everyday, play soccer, wrestle and run/PT with my recruiting station every week... if you could please help i would truly appreciate it!!

Similar Threads:

What exactly is your question?

Why do you need BUMED approval? Simply put, because they said so. They make all the decisions regarding medical waivers. They will probably send you for a consultation with an orthopedic doctor of their choosing and have him examine you. If he checks you out and says all is well you SHOULD be good to go.

FYI BUMED is controlled by the Navy so your recruiter, MEPS liason, station chief, Ops O, etc have absolutely no control over what happens behind those closed doors.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I guess what I'm asking is what's the process? But if what you said of them sending me to doc of their choosing then I should be fine because like I said I have no problem with my feet, hopefully this is the last obstacle, been an applicant for a year now, thanks for the response

best of luck to you. keep us posted here as to how things are going.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    So far nothing yet, Recruiter said it takes at least 21 days and we submitted the waiver on the seventh so hopefully we get a response soon, but just to be sure, could MEPs disqualify me for having a mild bunion? i already corrected one in 2012 but i have a small bump on my left foot, it doesnt hurt or affect me in any way i still pt great, have been for a year but just worried

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    As irpat said, please keep us posted here on this same thread, just to see how you made out and also so we can help others who might have similar questions in the future. Good luck.

Jam99....the Corps also bummed me. After I was discharged, I was homeless. Lived on the streets of Dallas. Didn't know anyone, no money, no place to call home. I was regularly called a Bum by people who put change in my cup. I slept in dumpsters after I ate all the scraps I could find in them. I also had bumps on my feet that ozzed pus all the time. Both feet. My buddy said they were ring worms. Guess I got them from laying in cat **** where people emptied their litter boxes in the dumpster. I think if the Corps hadn't bummed me.....I'd at least have a bed at the Salvation Army.....but they only take Army guys...I think. Anyway Jam99, Don't let them bum you! Good luck. By the way....I am no longer living on the streets of Dallas.......I now live on the streets of Houston.

Credits
    Savings
    Here we go again, Billy. You did this once when someone asked about BUMED and no one replied, because they didn't know if you were serious or not. LOL.

Dave....I'm used to it, brother.....not many people talk to us bums. Used to hurt my feelings....

Credits
    Savings

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Hey y’all so I’m going to meps on Wednesday and my recruiter said I will be disqualified so that they can use the BUMED waiver, he says my chances of it being approved are high so hopefully everything goes good at meps so that I can swear in, but that won’t be for another 15-21 business days apparently because it’s a process
    - I’ll keep you guys posted after my meps visit, thanks for all the help!! Really appreciate it!!

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Sorry I didn’t update y’all last week but I got rescheduled 2 times in one week lol from Wednesday to Sunday and then to Tuesday of this week, I took the PICAT today and feel fairly confident of my score hopefully I qualify for combat engineer but anyways, meps is this Tuesday/ Wednesday like I said before I only have one mild bunion on my left foot which doesn’t affect me, my right foot was corrected several years ago for cosmetic reasons and I don’t know I just feel nervous about going to meps lol Just came here to rant/ let the nerves out!! But thanks y’all for helping and giving advise hopefully I’m able to join the brotherhood!!

Credits
    Savings
    Any updates from you about this, JAM99? Let us know.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post

Dave....

I'm used to it, brother.....

not many people talk to us bums.

Used to hurt my feelings....

Sillydumba$$-

Cant'cha see the title
    o-d thread ?
    B
    Union......

U B union, you b paid
    dem BIG Bux...

*Won't have to sleepon D Street.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    ahh Yes my trip to meps was awesome did everything passed my physical although I failed my vision found out I have high astigmatism but with glasses on I have a 20/20 vision, without glasses I can see everything near me but at a distance I see the shape and color but not the detail so I need a waiver for that since it’s a little too high for comfort but the doc said I’d be fine

Thread Information